Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 2024 All Ireland Senior Football Championship (Sam Maguire Cup)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Swamp_Cat

My 70 something father is colorblind and has been his entire life. He can't diferenceate between the two. And he's had a boat his entire life where everything is green(starboard), & red(port). He's come up with some funny excuses/justifications over the years. "Yah, that's what I was saying. A kinda pink, greenish red color" . 'OK, sure Dad' 😉

Julie catch a rabbit by its hare...

• Registered Users Posts: 51,955 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭C__MC

You'd feel sorry for the football now, hopefully it's an exciting final. In fairness the last two finals have been decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Id wonder what Mayo fans would make of Galway winning this All-ireland? Would they support them or would it be a kick in the teeth? Since Galway regressed in the mid-00's, Mayo have been competitive at the top table for all that time and couldn't win one. And despite all those years Galway were down, they now improve and may possibly still win another before Mayo do.

Mayo probably feel robbed too, in the sense, that any time they made a final, you could always argue the opposition going in would of always been favourites. And now that Galway are in the final, with all due respect to Armagh, they must be thinking we never even got one final this "soft".

Galway winning must be a hard pill for Mayo fans to swallow I'd say. And Galway (along with Meath before everyone started beating them) are really the only team with a good record against the northern teams

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Some Mayo fans might have that attitude (mainly near the border I'd say) but most realise that once we're out, it doesn't matter a sh*te who wins it, we're still out. On Sunday, I'm glad that it'll be someone "new" and I'll be supporting Galway but I wouldn't mind seeing Armagh win either, just hoping for a decent game tbh.

Post edited by MacDanger on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Mayo man here. I'll be shouting for Galway on Sunday. I like Armagh too, but I'd find it hard to shout against our Connaught neighbours.

Hopefully I'll get to do that shouting in Croke Park !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Mayo got the Tyrone final a few years ago. One of them ones you could describe as "they'll never get a better chance". And they didn't take it. Missed a penalty and Conroy blazed a 1 on 1 goal chance wide. They should've won that final.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭cosatron

Without mayo raising the standard in connacht with horan, we wouldn't be where we are today without them. At the start of every championship the talk in galway isn't about all irelands it's about will we beat mayo. Cause beating mayo proves that we have a team that can go far

96 was the one where "they'll never get a better chance". Had it won and were nearly on the bus home

I would have put Tyrone favourites to win that day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭ledwithhedwith

None of the bookmakers did, mayo were heavy favourites.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,811 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I was convinced Mayo were going to win that year v Tyrone. Better all round squad at the time, more experienced sideline.

I think that final was the year the neutrals went off Mayo, they made a complete and utter sh!te of it. Worse than even the lose they had v Donegal in the 2012 IMO.

Bit of a novel final this year, I have not looked at the past finals, but I assume Galway and Armagh have never met in a final?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

I'll personally be shouting for Armagh, I like how the northern teams play, but I don't think they'll win. I also feel they're "owed" one, for the team they had in the 00's.

After they won in 02, they hugely underachieved on the All-ireland stage. Continued to dominate Ulster for much of the 00's, but for whatever reason, regressed on the All-ireland stage

Didn't realise tbh, I expected Tyrone to win personally and would have assumed bookies had them as favourites

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭ledwithhedwith

actually got that wrong , weren’t heavy favs 8/11 vs 11/8. Clear I suppose but not heavy.

It was generally seen as a 50:50 game, but the hype about Mayo winning was on account of Dublin being knocked out, and Mayo hadn't been able to break the Dublin strength in prior years.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

With respect to the atmosphere, there is a wonderful feel good vibe around Armagh City and the colour on display far surpasses anything I can remember from our previous outings in All Ireland Finals. I left he house last night to go to down to our Club to help put up flags and bunting and as I did so there were neighbours in a cherry picker putting up bunting and flags in our estate. There are cars painted and parked at strategic points around the City and every second car seems to have flags flying. There is surely nothing like sport and the GAA to generate so much happiness in the population.

With regard to the match, I don't mind telling you that I have butterflies constantly now. I've been following Armagh since 1977 and All Ireland Final appearances are a rarity. There is therefore an awful lot riding on this opportunity and I hope the team do themselves justice. I so desperately hope for a victory.

If truth be told though, I think we are up against it in the Final. Galway to me are a formidable opposition, with quality players all over the field, and scoring threats in different places. I honestly felt they were giving us a bit of a going over in Sligo back in June, until we got a lucky goal. My hope is we will have learned from that and fighting back for the draw will instil confidence in the players and management that we can go toe-to-toe with Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭C__MC

Ah I don't know, Tyrone were much more clinical and fully merited the win. Mayo had chances but didn't take them. That defeat set mayo back massively imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭The Moist Buddha

Donegal never got out of 2nd gear in 2012, anytime Mayo got close Donegal went up the field and popped a couple over, that game was over after 10mins

I was lucky enough to be at all the Dub matches that year, and even the Donegal v Mayo final 2012 (Because Dublin were in the minors).

All I remember from that Donegal v Mayo game is the real tension/nervousness from both sets of fans Donegal/Mayo. Then Murphy killed the game with a goal after 3 minutes, simple ball - bang.

This AI final will have the similar level of tension/nervousness as that one.

I hope it does not end up in an extremely cagey job between Galway/Armagh for the neutrals sake. Hopefully Galway will mix it up a bit, because if Galway stay cagey there is not much hope Armagh are going to change.

Plus I can already hear the hurling crowd laughing at the thought of a very cagey football final!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

Football final build up should really kick into gear tomorrow. Naturally enough the hurling final grabbed all the attention up to today. That's the one problem with the two finals on successive weekends. It shortens the build up to the football a small bit. By tomorrow all the attention will be on Armagh v Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

I think Galway will win by a few points.

Galway were a match for Kerry in '22 and Kerry were better than Armagh by 3 or 4 points but still managed to lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭spurshero

Kerry were better than Armagh when? Cause it wasn’t 2 weeks ago first half aside … Armagh better team secind half and extra time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭ratracer

Is there a difference between Hill16 and Nally stand?
    Can you go between both in there?
    My young fella and his mate have one ticket for each on Sunday, just wondering if they’ll be able to be together inside?

No. Can't go between them. There is railing there and stewards. Best option is to try for someone to distract the stewards, and then the nally stand guy to make a dart over the railings in to the hill. but risky enough. If you got some cranky enough, they could throw him out.

Or at least that was the way it was a couple of years ago. Unless anything has changed in the past 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭MacDanger

I think if you're in early enough, it'd be easier to cross over than later on when it gets busy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭ratracer

Thanks for the replies folks!

They’ve managed to swap one anyway, so they now have two either in the Hill or Nally.

Just need a Galway win now. 🙏🤞

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭munster87

I think Armagh reached their peak the last day, Galway are stronger if fully fit and win by 3+…IMO

I would have agreed with you 100% before the Semi-Final. But Armagh seem to find a way to do "enough" somehow. Then I start thinking of the group drawn game, between Armagh and Galway.

If Armagh play the game on their terms at the start it could be a tight 70 minutes. But logically Galway should have more than Armagh - better bench as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

The if fully for though is a big IF. For whatever reason (bad luck? poor training and medical methods?) Galway have struggled to get a fully for squad for the last 3 years. A strong squad, but it's been a constant complaint from them in recent years.

I feel there won't be much in this, gut is inclined to say Galway by a point or two, but Armagh have developed a stubborn streak in recent years - hard to beat but they won't win easily themselves. A big moment will probably decide it, like a goalkeeping error (I'm looking at you Gleeson) or some stupid bit of individual skill from the likes of Walsh might decide it.

Hopefully a good game, maybe an early goal to open things up - Gealic needs a good final after all the small ball lads slapping themselves on the back all week.

Advertisement