Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar PV Hints, Tips & Troubleshooting

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Zappi should be able to work without the solar CT. As all it needs is the grid as it's monitoring export.

Having a solar CT is nice, but not required.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Ok, so I've the standard set up I suppose you could say in terms of EV functionality, correct?

And solar inclusion is a nice to have as you have a better overview of everything going on, otherwise you just see what the charger is using and what the home is drawing from or feeding to the grid, and it's generally optional?

Yeah you'll just see what's coming or going to the grid.

To see actual house use, you'll need the solar CT.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Cool, thanks for the clarification.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,216 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Are there many resources for mounting inverter and battery on the exterior of your house?

My attic is converted so there's no space, and Im not too comfortable putting a battery inside. I started looking at electrical cabinets and maybe adding insulation and a small heater if necessary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭championc

The majority of kit is IP65 rated. So it will happily go on an outside wall without any cabinets or heaters. Might need to be somewhat sheltered

Some battery units would not be suitable for outdoor installation - the type that go into a rack.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Dozz

Hi.

I was wondering if anyone can help or point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

How can I set my Solis inverter up to dump any battery excess to the grid by 2 am in order for me to charge it between 2&6 am?

Am on the Energia EV plan.

Thanks

nvm

You need automation.

You need the inverter to be controllable by Home Assistant. Home Assistant would have to be able to change the operating modes.

I don't know if this is possible or how easy it is with a Solis. It is certainly easier with a Sofar

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭mjatkey

Hi, apply for inverter control on Solis website, this allows you to remote change the basic settings on the inverter including charge and dis-charge times.

So ours charges batteries 2-6 Energia EV window, then discharges from 10.30 to just before 2am.

So far works well.

Oh and you can change charge and dis-charge current, I've not needed to change either of those.

🌞 6.96kWp PV System. West Dublin🌞

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭The devils

Another maybe silly question, I have a large featureless space on a South facing vertical wall, maybe 4m x 3m.

I saw examples of solar fences, any idea what the difference is between vertical panels and those at the ideal 35 or 40 degree tilt?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Just bang in 1kwp as the size, pick where you are in the country on the map with your mouse, and then see how much you get with 40deg and compare to 0 deg slope.

https://re.jrc.ec.europa.eu/pvg_tools/en/

• Registered Users Posts: 45,520 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

How low of a percentage can Solis batteries be used to? I'm assuming zero but maybe that's an incorrect assumption.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭tommythecat

Well a solis inverter won't let you drop below 4%. I have a weco which is good for a 100% discharge but I can only use 96% of it.

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,137 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Are all 17 panels producing at the same time? You won't get 7kw with a 5kw inverter you'll suffer from what's called clipping. If you have a battery you can run the house from it in the night and charge it during the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭bilasy

need a bit of advice, I recently (last Friday )installed 17 panels 430 each, would it be right to assume that the system could generate in or around 7KW in a day provided all conditions are met?

I’m only getting a maximum of 5.3 KW ?

The inverter is 5KW as well

• Registered Users Posts: 6,775 ✭✭✭deezell

The inverter is limited to 5KW input to the grid. Panels will have a peak available output output of 7.3 Kw, in ideal conditions. The inverter can only harness 5KW, with a bit of headroom up to 5.3. Unless you have batteries that can take panel excess, or a hybrid inverter with an off grid branch circuit, you'll miss out on the extra 2KW during the peak window (clear, sunny, midday, summer). The advantage of oversizing is you'll maintain the grid maximum for a longer period.

Look at your Data. Look at the DC voltage for EACH of PV1 and PV2. It sounds like one string could be dead

I think I mixed up the 7310 KWP figure but that doesn’t necessarily generate 7KWHr am I right?

• Advertisement

The max the inverter can output (to the house) is 5kW.
    Do you have a battery? You may be able to get a bit more output if the battery is empty

no battery , exporting yo the grid , so if my panels are 7310KWP how much KWHr they are expected to generate?

Well it's 7.31kWp

While there will be a bit of clipping it's only on the perfect days

On average this website is pretty spot on

https://re.jrc.ec.europa.eu/pvg_tools/en/#PVP

• Administrators Posts: 376 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭System

This discussion was created from comments split from: Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2024 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1.

I don’t know how to use it

• Registered Users Posts: 45,520 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Don't worry about it. An array that size will serve you well in the winter months.

Don't confuse kW's and kWh's.

KW is your output at any particular moment

KWh is your total generation for a period of time.

So what was your kWh for today ? What was your highest kW during today ?

A very rough estimate would be 5500-6000kWh/ year.

Website isn't too bad, click on the map where you are, put in your kWp, and also the direction and slope of your panels.

Hi, thanks for your reply

So far today it produced 17 KWH maybe will hit 20 before it’s dark but I’m not sure

Highest KW achieved since today is 5.42 KW

Thanks again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭idc

Father in law recently got Solis inverter. Can see on basic info page price is set at 0 euro/kWh. How can i change this? Or is this tied to installer and only he can set info like that?

Advertisement