Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transport Aircraft

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,967 ✭✭✭sparky42

well it would be one way to kickstart the MOWAG replacement project…

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭roadmaster

There is over 10k Unifil troops and police there i would imagine it will be an orderly withdrawel if it happens with all unifil nations working together.

If a full scale conflict breaks out and with the state Lebanon is in at this point anyway… I wouldn't be eager to put money on that.

If full scale breaks out i wonder what the plan will be to get the 10k troops out. You would think that israel would take all the airstrips out so would we see them heading for cyprus via sea?

The poor Mowags they only finished the midlife upgrade!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,272 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

You'll have to ask the Tánaiste about that one.

Presumably the skeleton crew left behind will be purely to maintain lockdown and security on the main base of operations. If it comes to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

It happened before, a number of times. UNIFIL stayed put. Some countries may have withdrawn, but the force remained in place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

It's rumoured that Embraer will be bringing a KC-390 demonstrator to Ireland after this month's Farnborough Air Show.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭jonnybigwallet

Hope we buy one. The third 295 is not up to heavy lifting. It's just a small regional passenger airliner painted to look military.…

Didn’t we use one of the Finnish ones to fly into Afghanistan?

• Advertisement

The real experts say we could have a huge role to play bringing humanitarian aid to where it's needed most. The numerous overseas aid NGOs have lobbied govt for some time in this regard.

It would strengthen our status as a neutral state, in their opinion. Their T&Cs though suggest any markings other than national flags be minimal, and colour schemes if possible be neutral, rather than military. (I.e white or light grey- not camouflage).

That said, we have had many aircraft visit as demonstrators over the years, and nothing ever came of it except more rumours.

We were Definitely Getting Alpha Jets.

We were definitely getting Super Pumas.

We were Definitely getting Fokker F27 Maritime Patrol aircraft.

We are definitely getting Pilatus PC21s. etc.

if the NGOs are t paying for it, then they don’t get a say on its usage or colours or anything else, but yeah hasn’t that been floated since the 00s with a purchase of a herc but never gone anywhere?

They aren't deciding on the colour, they are advising what is best in the circumstances. In some of these places the sight of another camouflaged aircraft can be seen by many as yet another invasion, and they take to the hills, and those who need help most don't get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

It's a moot point anyway, with the exception of the emergency and the heritage colour on the one PC12 we don't do camo on aircraft.

Said it before, will say it again:

Brazil is in a diplomatic and trade partnership, ie BRICS, whose interests are counter to those of the European Union and NATO.

Ireland should not be investing money with Brazil, and especially not to buy military equipment from them. Yes, I'm well aware other EU/NATO members have procured the 390, but in my opinion they shouldn't have done.

An Airbus A400 is similarly capable and similarly priced. The money, if it is to be spent, should be invested in Europe, with a European maker.

But we all know its unlikely to be in any event.

My money is on the Dutch doing a deal to build it locally. Embraer doesn't have the capacity. Brazil reduced their own order so they could build Gripen at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭zone 1

ireland has more chance of getting fighter jets than 390 or A400

I don't really think the Dutch could build the 390. I mean Fokker went out of building planes decades ago.....so where would a suitable factory and workforce exist?

It actually would not be that hard to set up a production line. The Dutch universitys still produce very good Aerospace engineers.

These days these plants are more like giant Ikea assembly plants as parts come from all over the world.

The biggest issue would be how would Airbus view an assembly plant in the EU.

True about the technical university of Delft....graduate engineers…but what about nuts and bolts production line fitters?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭thomil

I don’t see an issue. Fokker Technologies, which produces numerous types of aircraft components, is still around, though it is currently owned by GKN Aerospace. The biggest issue I see is space, and more importantly airspace capacity. The space issue stems from the fact that the former Fokker factory is now a business park without any real airfield access, though I do believe that this could be rectified pretty quickly if needed.

The bigger issue is the airport at which this factory/business park is located. That’s Amsterdam Schiphol, one of Europe’s busiest airports and one that is at, or beyond, capacity anytime the wind does not allow operations from the three north/south runways. You can see the old factory on Google Maps just to the right of Runway 36R or immediately south of Runway 04. This would mean a new greenfield site, ideally at an airport that has enough space around it to take the needed infrastructure.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭vswr

Grand oul jolly for the IAC if the 390 turns up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

There was one here in 2017 - I think they got a look at it that time.

I bet they did, just like the Citation's and other jets they they got numerous visits from when looking at the Gulfstream replacement.

There was one Citation in Baldonnell for over a week, doing daily flights. Then they go buy the Learjet… The boys definitely know how to string along a salesperson for a jolly.

If only there was some sort of show they could go see it at, or maybe they already are heading to Farnborough too…

Farnborough, Fairford, then hitch a ride back to Baldonnell in it.

To be fair, they could happily be back such purchases only for DOD and Finance to laugh in their faces and say no.

Thats what the new command structure is designed to change, among other things.

The CHoD will be exactly that, no longer the Sec Gen, who at the moment is effectively the most senior defence and intelligence advisor to the Government. With no actual qualification to be.

When the CHoD becomes "accounting officer", ie the one answerable for the DF in all its facets, once he has a capital budget and wants a certain ship or plane, it will be very hard to politically deny him that. Anymore than the Govt should or would interfere with an operational matter like new ambulances for the HSE, or a new interpretive centre for the OPW

That's not happening under the new DFHQ plans. DF Sec Gen will remain the accounting officer for now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Sgt. Bilko 09

Rumour mill time

there’s allegedly an embrear K390 getting viewed again, it’s arrived or is arriving today.

Well ahead of the Bray Airshow

Advertisement