Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick GAA Discussion Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 OnTheCorner

A stupid question. Care to address my actual point?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭High bike

So u won't answer the question so I take it ur talking sh1t and John Dalton wasn't in court. And u actually expect people to accept the Cody dropped him for giving a lad a dig of a hurley ,ffs he would have to drop the majority of the KK team at that rate.Go away and cop yourself on ffs will ya.

Post edited by High bike on

Ok so he was dropped after being sent off,so what exactly are u saying?

Do you actually not understand my point or are you pretending not to because you know you are defending the indefensible?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭einn32

I thought Cork were slightly off the intensity they brought against Limerick both times in the AI final. The quick puckouts were not allowed so Clare were able to reset properly also and destroyed the long ball tactic. Also Clare got away with the pulling and dragging that was clamped down on in this year's Munster final. Cork gave Clare so much space at times - I don't think Clare had a free in the second half. Few of Cork players had off days also but Cork had the chance to draw it in the end and missed. They couldn't miss against Limerick. It's all inches between the top teams in hurling the last few years! Cork and Clare will improve. Clare will surely be gunning for a Munster title now.

Quaid and Hayes made the RTE team of the year. Hard to argue with that. We were probably generally slightly off form through the year or only getting form in fits and starts. The injuries probably hurt us also. Casey and DOD were massive losses. Ultimately 5 years playing every game in the championship newrly proved that bit too much. I'd say that this loss will get a bit of staleness out and hunger back by next November. Lads will itching to get back.

Did u ever ask yourself was Dalton dropped because he gave some lad a dig or because he go caught and got sent off possibly costing KK the match.Another thing maybe you should consider if it was Noel Hickey,Jackie Tyrell,Henry or any of the superstars o that team would Cody have dropped them.You know and I know the answer is no he wouldn't,so get off ur high horse .

Can't believe Gillane didn't make that team after the year he had.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭einn32

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭big_drive

Gillane was brilliant in all Ireland semi final but I thought average rest of year.

Only scored 2-9 from play all year and 0-6 of that came in all Ireland semi final. Only 2-3 in the other 5 games he played. I think it's a lower return than any other Limerick forward this year so I couldn't see how he'd make team of year. I'd rate Seamus Flanagan and Hegarty as having much better years than him

• Advertisement

You clearly didn’t read the article I posted if you’re now saying Cody wouldn’t drop any of the star players.

I read it and understood it u obviously didn't.Cody dropped lads that were coming to the end of brilliant careers and he had replacements in mind to keep the team going forward.He dropped Dalton because he didn't rate him and had someone better to take his place.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,865 ✭✭✭billyhead

• Registered Users Posts: 26,095 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

We got 2 and you wouldn't expect any more. These things are heavily weighted by recency bias and myself I think Quaid and Hayes are the only two definites. I would be happy if we even get two All Stars.

Hego had a good year but everything went pear-shaped for him in the semifinal,whereas Gillane was excellent eventhough he could have had a couple of goals too just one of those days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭blackcard

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭blackcard

Yes. Referee didn't see the incident. Eoin Larkin was sent off for retaliation in that match, a league final against Dublin in 2011

Ok fair enough I was only going by the article I read which said he was sent off

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Figerty

Hegarty should be in there. this team of the year crack on the Sunday game is a nonsense. Hurler of the year has to come from the All-Ireland and the team is going to be biased as a result. It's way too soon to be naming a team at least the all-stars has a bit of distance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Hegarty had a fantastic year up until the semi where he was very poor. Nothing went right for him really. He tried hard and gave a few very good passes ...one in particular arrowed across to David Reidy was very good. But some of his attempted pick ups were shocking. He should have been taken off. The biggest issue for this Limerick team is the lack of goal threat. Gillane and Flanagan are able to take a goal but they won't make one on their own like a Kelly or O Donnell. Gillane has a great fetch and has gotten some excellent goals but there's no one to scorch a defence and bury one. There is one...O Dalaigh. Unfortunately he's been surplus to requirements in championship since the Clare game. O Brien hasn't the pace for goals either..

MMidfield And it's lack if scoring power is another issue. There's no pace there either. I think O Donoghue and O Donovans partnership might be coning to an end there . It badly needs pace and scoring in midfield.

I'd have Limerick in the top 2 next year with Cork

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 14,704 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Cathal O’Neill can 100% create a goal himself from nothing. Good chance now though that positional changes for him will nullify that threat.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Knockdromin

Christ lad, champions 5 days and ye’re already playing the underdog card! The target is on Clare’s back now, embrace it.

Ah c'mon - Be realistic about it

Limerick are still big favs to win next year. Clare wouldn't be 2nd favs either.

I know it's natural to think that makes no sense; but Leicester won the Premier League, you hardly thought it automatically made them favs the year after?

Man United won the FA Cup this year - are they now Favs to win next year?

Nonsense comparisons - Leicester winning the league would be more akin to Laois winning the All Ireland. Clare are not some team that came out of nowhere who will immediately go back to nowhere.

The FA Cup has not been comparable to the hurling championship since 1996, the last season it was one chance knockout only.

Clare were playing at a similar level to Limerick in 2022 and 2023. A draw and a one point defeat in 2022, a one point win and a one point defeat in 2022. 3 points in Ennis this year and the Munster final this year would be the only occasion in the last 6 outings where Limerick looked comfortable against Clare.

Clare weren’t lucky to win this championship, they didn’t come out of nowhere. Limerick beat them twice. Would Limerick have beat them in the final? We’ll never know as Limerick weren’t good enough to get there. Will Limerick be the bookies favourites next year? Absolutely. Clare were the best team in the championship and as such the target is on their back next year.

They weren’t being given enough respect in the two weeks leading up to the final. Cork this, Cork that. And they’re still not being given respect by some now that they’ve gone and won it with these one in a million Leicester City fairytale and basket case era Man United comparisons.

I don’t agree on Hegarty to be honest. He had the All Star in his hands going into that semi final. He was one of a handful players started that day as likely All Star winner and finished as All Star nominee, unlikely winner. Two good Croke Park performances outweighs anything that occurs in the provincials in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭letsseehere14

This Clare team are 2 to 3 years further down the road than Limerick.

This was their peak imo. They will begin to see a turnover from a lot of the older cohort quite soon and they do not have an obvious group close enough to fill the gaps seamlessly.

For next year, assuming some bit of player turnover in Kilkenny, Clare, Cork and Galway, I would have it as Limerick then Cork followed by Kilkenny and Clare together, then Waterford Galway and Tipp together in the 3rd group. But it would not take much for either Kilkenny or Clare to slip back even further, nor would it take much for Galway Waterford or Tipp to come good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,079 ✭✭✭Rosita

It's amazing the amount of people who swallow this stuff about Cody as if he was in charge of some society which promoted high moral standards instead of a hurling team.

In a discussion about Kyle Hayes around Christmas time I heard a guy convinced that Cha Fitzpatrick's career was summarily ended by Cody along with two selectors gate-crashed a wedding to check on Cha and found him drinking. The story got better as Cody apparently announced the end of Cha's career in front of onlookers.

Obviously impossible in that scenario to point out that Cha just lost his place on the team gradually and decided (as far as I am aware) to step back and do other things. He's now living in Japan I think so not exactly your standard Kilkenny hurler type anyway.

As I said if Brian Cody ever had a hurler like Kyle Hayes he'd back him to the hilt guaranteed. Any manager who takes anything other than pragmatism into account isn't doing his job.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Iecrawfc

Who will Clare lose though? Conlon is playing aswell as ever, Kelly and O'Donnell will be fine and Rodgers has another years experience, Ryan Taylor will have a full pre-season. Clare might be fond of the long grass but everyone can see they will take beating next year now that they have the monkey off their backs, they'll be gunning for a first back to back.

• Advertisement

Definitely not nonsense. Might be exaggerated.

You can’t seriously say Clare are favs for next year?

Advertisement