Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newstalk: Off The Ball

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,519 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Just heard the tail end of the news round in car. Richie has his usual terrible connection and ger was on from what sounded like a busy airport terminal. Rubbish audio quality.

For an audio medium, it's not good enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 97 ✭✭XabiAlonso22

Joe leaving is massive loss he's by far the best but could hear he was just bored of it all. He'll get a gig with RTE no doubt on tv and radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭sub3wannabe

Wouldn't be so sure. Virgin and Newstalk are part of the same group. Bauer Media. They seem to like to use people across the different platforms for synergy purposes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,038 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

He already has a gig. It was announced at the same time as it was announced he was leaving. It's a daily podcast under the Independent Newspaper umbrella.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 97 ✭✭XabiAlonso22

Yes but he is destined for RTE unless Virgin get some hurling next time around and hopefully not Matt copper presenting it!!!

Will has been presenting last 3 nights. Assuming it's a bit of a trial. He's the obvious internal candidate at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,353 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Hard to estimate their costs

I’d be really curious as to whether the occasional guests get paid, and if so how much.

They have a huge network of contributors, for example Janesie O’Connor for Clare hurling, Joe Kernan talking about Armagh this week, Harris about Man Utd, Vinny Perth, Kenny Cunningham, BOD and ROG for rugby, and so on.

I’d assume the ones with a regular gig must get something, like Skehill or Paddy Andrews

OTB let themselves down with such tone deaf takes on certain situations.

Today for example they went live to Ger Gilroy in Paris and waxed lyrical about the Olympic ceremony last night.

The event has been more or less universally panned as degenerate woke nonsense and not family friendly.

They seem to exist within some sort of far left bubble. I'm assuming it is tied in with their dependence on corporate advertising funding who in turn are having to hit their ESR quotas.

I've not heard anybody complain about the opening ceremony, apart from it being too long (and it was lashing). I did see Elon Musk giving out about it I guess if that counts?

Simple question for you on this - what is woke nonsense please? Just so I know what you are referring to...

Well using transvestites to parody and disrespect 2 billion Christians for example. (The last supper)

Guys with their scrotum exposed. These type of things.

• Advertisement

I am on social media and purposely follow a diverse spectrum of liberal and Conservative people to avoid echo Chambers. I'm also in various whatsapp group full of people with different political and social viewpoints. I can honestly say there has been a virtually total consensus it was grossly inappropriate and a poor reflection of what is or at least was a great nation.

What specifically is offensive about drag queens (not "transvestites") parodying a painting?

Is it a problem is others parody the same painting? Or is your issue with drag queens specifically?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭atilladehun

You know the painting below isn't an accurate image? Its paid for by a sponsor using the most modern techniques,1500 years after a last supper happened. Its more of a reflection of the time it was painted and not the time it was depicting, much like the image above.

Its not satire, it's a cultural reference to France being many things both Christian amd diverse.

I've probably gone too woke on you now though.

I think with respect you're stretching for justification here. There's a ton of ways you can portray that diversity of culture without activity taking one of the most sacred events in Christianity and parodying it.

Its called respect and tolerance and I'd feel the exact same way if the roles were reversed.

What's your view of this tweet so? Is your problem with alternative portrayals of a painting? Or this specifically?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Morgans

If there is one good thing that Off The Ball is doing its pissing off those perpetually whining free speech warrior holdovers from 2015. Would make me consider a subscription as a reward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭atilladehun

I'm not stretching for anything, the painting goes beyond the church. It's a culturally significant piece that everyone in Western society and the rest of the world recognises. The West, since the renaissance used it's capitalist mindset to drive education and art (and lots of negative things too). The church was involved in that but not the only player. People have recognised and celebrated the renaissance artists just like the have later creators.

It doesn't show an event accurately. It does show off the brilliance of the artist. The pieta for example is the exact same in terms of accuracy of the event vs how brilliant the artist was. It hasn't hit the cultural levels of the last supper so it's less likely to be instantly recognisable in a performance piece.

No one needs to be offended. Some performers made a cultural reference. It happens in almost every piece of art. It's one of the most common ways artists hold up a mirror.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Mr Disco

We live in an age of maximum deviancy and the disgusting folk who revel in it

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭AhhHere

What do you find sexual about drag queens?

• Advertisement

So is your contention that they should be allowed parody Islam? Which suggests you're fine with parodying religion? Or no parody allowed for any religion?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Morgans

Yeah. The French and Paris have NEVER insulted Mohammad and know nothing of the consequences of parodying islam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Musicrules

What? That was a brilliant opening ceremony. What the hell is wrong with this woke thing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭FazyLucker

Good games, yes. As in watchable. But there was a serious lack of "very good" games. (But also, not all of those games were on TV so most people would not have seen them).

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Coolcormack1979

otb towers don’t really reflect normal life.their opinion of the opening ceremony is way off to some that I’ve talked too about it.most opinion was too long and a pile of cowshite

At one stage it looked more likely the flame for la 28 was going to be lit instead of this year

Gers audio from Paris is consistently appalling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Genuine question

Most who post on this thread constantly give out about audio quality, wokeness, crap presenters, subscription fees, John Giles, overall poor analysis of sports.

Why do you keep tuning in? I don't expect a thread to be an echo chamber of super fans fawning over the show but if I dislike something as much as many here seem to dislike OTB then I wouldn't listen.

Genuinely for me at least its a show that I once loved. That I believe has gone significantly down hill in recent years that I still sort of keep in my orbit out of part inertia and nostalgia I guess.

I take your point though maybe it's timeI just cut ties rather than hang on in the hope that it ever reverts to second captains era golden times.

Agreed and also it's a good platform for feedback. You never know they might overcome the woke mind virus and actually become a normal sports show again.

Explain what the woke mind virus is please.

Regarding complaining about the show - they are the only proper sports radio show mid-week, so I think it's fair that you'll listen to it but still have annoyances. My biggest complaint lately is the sound quality, it seems like it should be very easy to fix too like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,508 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Its very sad when Irish people start reguritating garbage like "woke mind virus". American internet culture is often not healthy or benefical to consume.

I get that and it's most likely the same for everyone who listens but some posting here have only negative feedback.

They'll drag a conversation off topic just to point out the bad.

It's just internet culture now right?

Look across all platforms online and people can only see black or white while 99.9% of the real world live in the grey.

I don't even really know what "woke" or "woke mind virus" mean to be honest.

That's why I always ask people who give out about woke culture to define it, because I don't know what they mean by it. It's just a buzzword at this stage.

Enabling your child to be physically mutilated and be permanently sterile due to a made up ideology and your munchausen by proxy. Would be one example of the social contagion. Mind virus is just a term I suppose.

Be interesting to see will OTB touch on the contentious situation in the women's boxing where a transgender athlete is punching the head off women.

Many journalists such as Vincent Hogan have already spoke out. I suspect OTB will not have the courage to discuss it.

https://x.com/deves_katherine/status/1818216449296732363?t=x0shqihYG3b8NCj4Ec-kBA&s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,038 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

There's something in human nature that leads some to appeal to fetishizing complaining. This is especially the case when it comes to talking about sports and especially especially when talking about those who talk about sport.

There's way more posts written about how bad all of these people are than there are commending them or supporting them on their actions. Like ten times the posts I'd say if I have to guess. I think its because people either consciously or subconsciously get annoyed at the fact that someone is getting paid to talk about sports while they have to get up and go out and work for a living.

People don't see Ger, or Eoin's or Nathan's or Joe's opinion any more valid than their own, but one group gets paid to voice their opinions, the other doesn't. And I think that really annoys some people.

It's something I've thought about quite a bit, this thread in particularly has been predominantly contributed to by people claiming pretty much everything about the show and its presenters is sh1t. I don't listen to the show as much as I used to so don't contribute here as much either, but when I was a frequent listener, this thread used to make me worry about the mindset of some people. I suppose if its their way of dealing with issues rather than working on them, so be it. But it is annoying for those of us who enjoy the show and appreciate what they've achieved and contributed over the years.

TLDR - Continuously listening to the show and then incessantly complaining about it is cheaper and less challenging than therapy.

Appreciate the gaslighting attempt but I actively post and praise many other presenters of sports shows which basically invalidates your hypothesis.

As stated many times before, a lot of us grew up with OTB circa Ken Early and the second captains boys and feel invested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,932 ✭✭✭deisedude

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,760 ✭✭✭roosterman71

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭robo

Great interview tonight by Joe with John Treacy - Joe let John talk about what he felt when he won his silver in 1984 & the insight was great.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,222 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

They've had both Ross Tucker and Niall Moyna on a few different times and all times were really interesting and covered in detail. By a country mile they've covered this issue the best out of all Irish media.

What are you talking about? Talking points like this clearly come from a certain area of the Internet which is a problematic "mind virus" itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,791 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Mentioned and defended by Richie. I will await the "piece" that Joe has promised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭FazyLucker

I listen to The Newsround every night Mon-Wed. Its a good summary of the days sport and what is on, sometimes there can be some craic thrown in which is grand.

I decide whether or not to keep listening based on what is on and what I am doing. If there's an interesting topic or guest, I will listen. Otherwise, I don't.

I never listen to The Football Show because its too late and I'm not a big football fan. I like A Slight Tangent and The Sunday Paper Review.

I presume The Independent will have Joe's podcast behind a pay wall - I would probably pay a few quid a month if Joe gave a daily podcast with a decent guest. No way will I ever pay for Ger "Its only a tenner a month" Gilroy's product. Ever.

Re John Tracey, if people complain about getting his memories about winning a silver medal 40 years ago then we have really reached the point of no return regarding peoples ability to complain about anything.

This was ages ago and never built upon once it became a hot potato and the scandals such as The Tavistock Clinic were unearthed.

OTBs position is pretty clear and supportive judging by Richie McCormacks comments yesterday evening.

Let's see if they follow through on a piece as Joe has promised. I'd have my doubts.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭bike2wkr

He's entitled to do an interview on it. John Treacy quite a humble person imo

Sorry mate I've misquoted. It was in reference to the trans boxing scandal. John Treacy is a class act and a gent of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭robo

It was interesting to hear how Treacy did write a letter to a racing magazine about what he saw on some races, teams injecting and using steroids. And listening to how things were so different back in the 70's and 80's (of course they were) but even on hydration (no science needed for this) and how Treacy learnt from his mistakes and trained in hot conditions in the USA.
    His stories of Jerry Kiernan - and how they trained together on the Dublin mountains, a really good chat between John & Joe, I am going to miss these interviews on OTB. Joe doesn't come to an interview with a strict list of questions, he listens to the person and picks up on what's being said rather than following his script.

Advertisement