Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit return scheme (recycling) - Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,310 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I only ever said that I had used similar schemes in other countries.

I used them as a visitor so would not be familiar with all their details.

If you want a suggestion as a reply to your second question I expect that the retailers prefer not to do manual returns but that's only a hunch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,341 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I'm sure they prefer not to, they shouldn't be given a choice. My understanding is they are not given a choice in at least some of the countries pro-Return people keep pointing to with the "It works there why not here."

It is therefore entirely reasonable to ask well, if the scheme works elsewhere and that is a part of it… why is it not in our version of the scheme.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Not just you. Dozens of other people said we copied the same system as in other countries.

Which it turns out is bollox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭bog master

And if you can get the stats of the % of PET bottles as part of overall plastics collected/recycled, good luck to you.

Numerous emails to Repack and ReTurn and the Minister have not been replied to!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭howiya

Correct. In Denmark, they don't have a choice on whether to accept returns or not.

Their choice is to maintain their machine so that it works or accept manual returns when their machine isn't working.

As a consequence their machines work and there is none of this "try your luck tomorrow" scheme that we have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,751 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Why are plastic milk containers not included in the scheme?

Deleted

Not as valuable as aluminium and I am sure the Dairy Industry lobbied hard to not include it.

Maybe you should wait for reliable statistics before suggesting that 70% of plastic bottles collected by Re-turn are incinerated.

Just an idea.

I can only be held to account for what I post.

Having said that I wouldn't blame anyone for thinking that one system where you put a container into a machine is much the same as another.

• Advertisement

I assume its an optics thing for the public or to placate the supermarkets. Because gone off beer, gone off coke do not smell strongly. If they accepted milk containers, the scheme would be 2 weeks old when every DRS machine in the country would stink of gone off milk. Currently a quick hose down once a week is enough to keep them smelling fine. With milk, they would need regular, if not daily thorough hosing down to keep the smell of rotten milk at bay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Why would the dairy industry not want the plastic milk containers included in the scheme?

I think that if I was running a supermarket I'd much prefer a machine in the lobby or wherever than have to pay a staff member to do returns for every hour in the week my shop is open.

Wages, cover for breaks and lunch, cover for holidays, cover for sick days. It all adds up.

If real supermarket owners think the same then taking into account the major input by the industry to Re-turn then we may have our answer.

From the ReScam website:

Who funds the DRS scheme?

The management and operation of the Deposit Return Scheme does not cost the public or government any money at all. The system is funded through producer fees for each product placed on the market.

So it would have cost the dairy industry to be included.

Considering milk is a large staple in many households especially children, I would reckon there would be a huge uproar with a price increase (ok you get the deposit back eventually)! Optics would be very poor. And, the recycling value would be low.

Thanks. The Dairy Industry. Happy to pollute the planet and still exist on tax payer subsidies.

In time, they will be forced to comply or lose subsidies.

Not sure the optics of recycling would be viewed as poor, but I agree the price increase would be hard to swallow. Bad pun, I know :)

A very good point.

People complaining about an increase in beer cans or bottles of fizzy drinks can be told ah sure, just drink less, its better for you from good old Nanny Ireland.

The optics of increasing the price, even temporarily a staple like milk would be bad for the scheme, bad for the government and have half the country up in arms about it.

And the ordinary punters who were putting the items in the green bin and not being hit in their pockets for it, would much rather keep doing that.

So the answer is another nail in the coffin of the lie that we coped the same scheme as elsewhere. We didn't.

Supermarkets in other countries can do it, so why not here. Irish supermarkets and retailers can do it, it is done elsewhere. They were let not do it.

The government shoved the hassle onto the ordinary punter, who it needs to return the items to meet the targets it claims to be concerned about reaching.

And if the scheme doesn't reach its targets, it will be cave ins to vested interest like this that should be looked at not the expected drivel about 'Paddy'.

Back to the green bin again, ok what are the chances of that getting to 90%.

I said in an earlier post that I never saw manual returns here and now that I think of it I never saw it in another country either.

Personally I've got used to the machines and wouldn't really like to use manual anyway.

Queuing up to have my cans counted would not appeal to me and it surely would be the most demotivating job in the store.

I accept that some may prefer it.

Everyone should hope we reach out target so we will avoid EU fines.

• Advertisement

Nope again with you missing the point.

The point of mentioning the green bin was that the government were fine shoving inconvenience and extra costs onto the ordinary punter.

But cant do that to the retailers.

What are our chances of getting to 90 percent without elements of the system that buttress the scheme in other countries?

Is it important to get to 90% or not?

Can piss off the ordinary punter but cant ruffle the feathers of the vested interests.

It would appeal to the vast majority of people especially when they bring the items to the store and RVM out of order.

It would appeal to the vast majority of punters if it was combined with a reduction in exemption size, meant more options were available to return.

You know like is done in other countries who have to meet the sane targets we do.

It shouldnt come down to hope. Retailers shouldnt be getting a pass on dodging their responsibilities. Responsibilities other countries deem important for them to meet those same targets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,166 ✭✭✭patnor1011

What statistics?

Show me one company in Ireland which can handle and recycle say 2.000.000 plastic drink bottles per day. If you cant find one then show me who is exporting and shipping said volume overseas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,166 ✭✭✭patnor1011

This "we have to do this to avoid EU fines" tripe is really sad.

Forget your nope and I'm not missing any point.

The green bin was a dead duck if Re-turn was coming in.

The issue of whether manual would be mandatory for machines breaking down was part of the negotiations for Re-turn.

Two completely different things.

The industry won out, surprise surprise.

Maybe there is some chance of changing the terms of the scheme but I wouldn't hold out too much hope.

Nope. They are not completely different things. It is all part of the picture of the government and Return being ok to lump inconvenience and cost onto the consumer but backing off on retailers.

You've gone from:

Everyone should hope we reach out target so we will avoid EU fines.

To:

Maybe there is some chance of changing the terms of the scheme but I wouldn't hold out too much hope.

Hopium.

Is it important to meet our targets or not?

If we are not meeting the targets do you agree those things the "industry won out" on should be looked at?

The lack of manual returns and large exemption size are noticeable points on which we stand out from other EU countries... who are also trying to reach the same targets we are.

There are no statistics to show that any of the plastic collected by Re-turn is incinerated.

If you know of any post them and you will kill the entire project overnight

It gets really really sad when they have to be paid.

What commitment have Return given that products wont be incinerated?

How can they guarantee that items will be recycled? They dont recycle any items themselves.

And I dont mean aspirational BS.

What statistics have Return provided to show that no items are incinerated?

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭geographica

Why is the plastic wrap on 24 packs of 500ml not in it 🤷🏼‍♂️ That’s a fair whack of plastic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭nachouser

It's a tax, get over it and either pay the tax or just stop buying stuff. Mine just goes in the nearest bin.

Advertisement