Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Supersoil- Snake oil?

124»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I got an ad for it on FB this morning and reported it as a scam/misleading. If enough of us did the same maybe the algorithms will get the message.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Conversations 3

I wonder how much they are paying the farmers to promote it?

Does anyone know any of the farmers in the videos?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Any knowledge on this? It seems to have taken over Supersoil on my feed now.

Spray it on and it gets rid of waterlogged fields. Magic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,833 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

My experience of liquid gypsum is blocking a commercial sprayer that the literature said couldn't be blocked. 😄

I have a ton bag of gypsum still that I may get spread with a lime spreader.

The gypsum I have is very finely ground like talcum powder. Two or three cup fulls would block my 2000 litre sprayer.

The benefits of gypsum are without doubt and it will flocculate the soil with a sulphur benefit and retain more nutrients in the soil. But gypsum and sprayers... make sure it's not milk they are selling. 🤪

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I'd say, wear a mask. Don't think it would be the best thing to inhale.

• Advertisement

Thinking of it. I think I'll just throw in it the side slinger and be done with it. Have spread before with the fert spreader but it was torture to make sure it was flowing. That said the dusting in a field you'd still see where it went and didn't go. There's granulated gypsum available anyway. Probably make more sense for most.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

You can add humic acid and tow-and-fert to the list of fashionable bullshyttery. Being a cutting edge farmer is a costly business

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 165 ✭✭ted_182

I'd always be open to new approaches. Some of the simplest solutions are never promoted as their isn't skin in the game for a sale.

Other options, have been used with success by some farmers, but of course Teagasc hasn't got round to doing independent testing. They should run tests on the whole array of them and publish results. It would only be a small cost in their massive budget.

N usage has dropped 31% over the last number of years. The crops and grass are still growing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭White Clover

Teagasc won't ever again be doing trials to help farmers gain an advantage over industry.

1. They work for the government

2. Their board contains people who want farmers reliant on them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,760 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Tom Pemberton pretty much said it was a waste of time in todays video too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭trabpc

Slide from organic oats conference. Absolutely snake oil. Sad that people got caught

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,544 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Mighty, getting 30 bales/ac, only number given. 'Lovely fodder, eating less of it, very contented' etc

Real independent research please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭dmakc

Why do Agriland continue to stand over it though, it seems suspect from the get go, to put out another misleading/sponsored article today seems disingenuous on their behalf, as many will miss the "sponsored" bit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Jb1989

@Say my name what's your latest thinking on this. Is the previous posters right to dismiss it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭endainoz

That's the whole point of advertising, particularly sponsored advertising, they can be very misleading at times alright.

Sponsored seems the incorrect word, since it is an advertorial. Advertorial content in print or online needs to be quite distinct and a hands remove from the medium it's on. You are correct, the Agriland team should not be connected to it.

I don't know what is in the product and where it is made.

But for any biological to work there's certain perimeters that it can only be applied in for it TO work.

The sellers of this are scant on the information on the first part and scant with the information to appliers on the second part.

They doomed themselves to failure. They seemed to be second hand car sellers not sure of right from left.

That's my take.

Edit : My take on the Teagasc trial however is they are the home of ag science so should know everything about biology and bacteria and fungi. So why did they apply the product in conditions that were the opposite of what a biology application would need to survive going on soil? The answer seems the trial was designed by Teagasc to fail the product.

I can say all this because I've read the books and applied homemade biology to fields and seen a positive response. I also know how to kill it.

Now that's my take.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭148multi

How did the organic associations get drawn in by this as well, they should have a duty to their members.

In fairness, if the ingredients are organic and the co does the correct paperwork, then it's organic. Yes SNM you make very good points. I see Teagasc are getting into organic farming and trials. I think again, applies. I think the SETU organic course looks at a different model of trials and research. Trials being done by students and graduates on working farms. Almost all leading practices that have been adopted in farming in Ireland have, firstly been done here by actual farmers.

Obviously all trials need scientific rigour and control plots.

Anyone relying on Agriland for technical information is a fool. Paid advertorials or the opinions of journalists are not to be taken seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭148multi

In fairness I have a well here producing organic water, doubt if any of the association's would allow me to sell it as liquid fert.

I get your point but the problem for independent research organisations like Teagasc, AFBI, AHDB etc is funding and resources. A proper trial on some snakeoil product, lets call it Wondersoil could easily take over €150k and 2 years to run.

And when the trial finishes and shows no benefit to the product, the Wondersoil people will come back with a new product called Wondersoil Plus, this time with added Boron complex or something. They will then market this as a new improved product (it's the Boron y'all) and want more trial work done. Meanwhile 20 other companies want the state research organisation to test their version of a product so they too can sell easier to us lads. It really isn't a good use of taxpayers money- why should a taxpayer fork out so that all manner of products can be tested on your behalf? If you believe the sales talk, test it yourself.

I was involved in a humic acid grass trial on the farm 4 or 5 years ago (free to participants). The company testing it did a pretty shyte job measuring and sampling, and I saw absolutely zero benefit to it. Never saw any results published. You live and learn.

That humic trial. Were the company telling you there'd be a benefit of straight humic acid?

I can't remember the full details to be honest with you. They had a couple of products, humic and possibly humic plus fulvic versus control. Treated in spring and summer and then they took cuts at set intervals. I didn't see any great effect or see any results to say otherwise. Done on a good sward too.

If I wanted to show someone a benefit, visual effect and growth benefit of humic acid on grass to a novice. I'd wait till we're heading for drought conditions and then apply it and in those conditions apply a heavy dose. Then you'd plainly see it.

It's a carbon source with a chelating effect to make more of what is locked up available. You don't really apply it straight. It's a carbon buffer and carrier for any artificial or biological Nitrogen you apply with it. That's how users generally use it. It allows maximum efficiency of the Nitrogen applied to go into the plant growth. It stops that Nitrogen from evaporating or leaching.

I'm beginning to think I could make money giving farmers classes. 🤑😂

That's what I said earlier, there's always a reason why the snake oil didn't work! The trial was done in spring/summer 2018 😎 🌞

• Advertisement

As long as you know Humic acid is liquid carbon. Basically that's what it is. Liquid carbon for soil.

It's not snake oil made from snakes.

Humic for soil. Fulvic for leaf. But both function as the carbon source in a mix.

You have to know what you are adding the carbon for and know what it's expected to do.

It's like flour when baking a cake. Give flour to someone who never saw a cake made and they'd spit it out and say this stuff is poison. Don't buy it.

40 : 1 carbon to nitrogen ratio is stable like timber but not really N available to the plant. 20 : 1 is more friendly to roots. While still not evaporating or leaching.

The fertiliser you buy in a bag has no carbon buffer. What you apply you only use one third of.

@Finty Lemon

Here's an example how to use Humic, Fulvic in a mix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Supersoil have lodged a complaint with the EU about cartel behaviour by fertiliser industry:

Don't have access, so maybe someone can upload the text.

Would they need to prove, legitimate interest? Essentially, that they have a competing product.

They just pissed that the Teagasc trial showed it to be rubbish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,211 ✭✭✭893bet

Ironicaly supers oil also do not sell anything that could be mistaken for fertiliser.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭leoch

I emptied a.few inches of the bottom of an ibc tank with molasses in it before Xmas.....it was mixed and 3 load of slurry taken out about a month ago nows its foaming above the slats......is this a result of the molasses???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭endainoz

Looks like it yeah. Some sort of a reaction anyway.

Yea it is you'll often get the same result when juice from a fresh silage pit goes in too. It's the sugars feeding whatever biology is in there. Careful it doesn't go and lift the slats. It does enhance the fertilising value of the slurry.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 robinroos

I have the man with the tractor coming up to spray today but I am short 3Kg of supersoil.ie. If anyone has 3Kg available near Ballinafad, Co. Sligo, I would happily fetch them and replace them later.

Thanks, Robin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Conversations 3

You would be better off topping it up with 3kg of piss from your sceptic tank, you'd get a better return on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭trabpc

Wasting your money.. Chop up a used tea bag in 300L of Water and spread it. Will give more return......

Speaking of tea, if I had the microscope and the time to establish the fungal/bacterial balance of my soil and formulate a compost tea to remedy that balance then I would. I don't have the time, so blanket application of off-the-shelf supersoil.ie is the best that I can do just now.

I have in mind to buy a Dirt Simple Brewer (Earth Fortifications / GreenPro Solutions) but budget for that will be next year.

Thanks for the other comments also, made me laugh. Problem with the septic tank proposal is that those bacteria are anaerobic by and large, the ones which create smells and raise acidity in soil. My peaty soil is acidic enough!

So, anyway, I'm working to make my soil more aerobic and to foster the aerobic bacteria (ideally 1:1 with fungal elements) and will judge success by observing grass root depth.

Come to think of it, some types of tea are particularly "woody" in nature; I'm thinking particularly of Rooibos Tea (South Africa). It is the "brown and woody" items in compost which promote growth of fungal elements, whilst the "soft greens" promote bacterial growth. If I made a compost tea out of (Rooibos) tea, perhaps 2Kg in a 100L aerated and moderately warmed brewer, and particularly if I could innoculate the brew with fungal elements at the start, then two days of brewing might be just the ticket for redressing the balance in a bacterial-heavy soil.

Grass likes it 1:1. Fruit and Veg like it heavier on the bacterial side, and orchards/forestry like it heavier on the fungal side.

If you have composted manure in the yard, or get a small amount from some other farmer, make a tea of that. I haven't done it, but Bokashi method was recommended to me.

I can probably find some (composted manure), but it would have to have been hot-composted aerobically and not be an old slimy sloppy mess. Aerobic composting requires that piles be turned periodically, specifically each time the pile starts to cool.

Thanks for the suggestion. However I believe Bokashi would be the exact opposite of what is required. Bokashi involves the fermenting of greens under anaerobic conditions (in sealed containers). The fermented greens are not in a state suitable for use as compost, and must be buried in the ground for further decomposition to take place.

I see where you are coming from. Elaine Ingham thinking. But consider this. Not all anaerobic is bad. Food is anaerobiclly stored and fermented and what biology requires is food. You can apply Lactic Acid Bacteria which is anaerobic and it'll turn soil aerobic. Same with Jadam Microbial solution- anaerobic and it turns soil aerobic. If anaerobic was bad, cows wouldn't thrive on silage and humans on kimchi and sauerkraut.

20 minutes after turning compost a few inches in it's gone anaerobic again. Whatever oxygen was there has been consumed by then.

Bokashi large scale is something nearly on a par with silage making. Use a silage pit. Have your fym about 4, 5 feet high, mix in your rock dust or oyster shell, biochar whatever, add your LAB and cover. And wait.

Absolutely "Elaine Ingham thinking"; I'm heavily subscribed to the Soil Food Web concept for soil fertility, and for that matter to Alan Savory's ideas on rotational grazing for pasture management.

You can apply Lactic Acid Bacteria which is anaerobic and it'll turn soil aerobic. Same with Jadam Microbial solution- anaerobic and it turns soil aerobic.

I will read up about those with interest.

On a side note,

If anaerobic was bad, cows wouldn't thrive on silage and humans on kimchi and sauerkraut.

yes, but the digestive systems of cows and humans are much different to the symbiosis between plants and the soil microbes which feed them.

Yeah, I'm using the long rotation of 43/44 days and moving daily, if I can. I think the bovine digestive system reverse mirrors the interaction between microbes and plants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,989 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Elaine inghams ideas aren't all grounded in reality. Would personally recommend forgetting about compost teas and focus on ph, plant diversity and use humic acid/fym

• Advertisement
Advertisement