Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Olympic Games Paris 2024 - AH Thread

Options
  • 24-07-2024 6:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭

WELCOME TO THE OFFICIAL THREAD!

It’s that time again when we all sit on our sofas, munching on unhealthy snacks, finding new sports that amaze us and cheering on the boys and girls in green.

Lots of questions to ask but seeing as we’re in the world capital of fashion, I couldn’t pass by the ceremony outfits.

I love the little shamrock brooch and the county badges. The jacket reminds me of martial arts and I keep changing my mind on whether I like it or not.

This ceremony outfit is the business though

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

A nice, uplifting video to get everyone in the mood

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

I didn’t realise that the football and rugby sevens starts today.

Ireland are playing South Africa later

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Football always starts 1st. Not sure why. Maybe it needs the extra few days because 2 weeks is too tight to fit in a whole tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Yeah It's to allow proper rest between games. Rugby 7s starting early because it's in stade de france which is hosting athletics so needs to be played early

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭griffin100

Really looking forward to super nerd Daniel Wiffen in the 800m freestyle, 1,500m freestyle and the 10k open water. He's a great shot of a medal in the first two and is an outside chance of one in the 10km (which he's never competed in before as far as I know).

His YouTube channel with is twin brother who is also an elite swimmer is a great watch if you have any interest in swimming.

https://www.youtube.com/c/WiffenTwins

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

Looking forward to this.

Love the Olympics, irrespective of whether Ireland has any chance of winning anything.

Particular interest in the track cycling, swimming , rowing, canoeing and athletics.

I love the idea that the Olympics wanted to modernize and appear more "urban" and youth oriented and trendy by introducing Break Dancing as an event which lets be honest hasn't been trendy since the 1980's, so that should really bring in the youth.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,265 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Depends where you go. It is hugely popular in parts of Asia. There are still small pockets in the US and Europe where it is popular. Basically the people that are into it are REALLY into it and very competitive, but in a friendly 'elements of hip hop' way.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,617 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Ireland beat South Africa 10-5 earlier, and have just beaten Japan 40-5.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,802 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

• Advertisement

Rugby 7s has to be the worst sport in the world, it's awful shite.

The entire skill of rugby is being able to find space where there is none and break into gaps not running around in acres of space up and down the field.

Such a pity it's in the Olympics and thus has gained more legitimacy as a sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭boetstark

Amazing it hasn't even taken 1 page for one to come out of the woodwork.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Yeah, I hear what you're saying, but who wouldn't be interested in watching breakdancing at an Olympic level.

Anyway, have to say I love the Olympics. I used to think the WC was the greatest sporting event, but it was Rio in 2016 that made me change my mind.

It was on late at night, which worked out perfectly with my shift work at the time and I watched piles and piles of it most nights - more than any of the Olympics up to that point.

And the variety of it all and the prolonged and abundant excellence of it all... ah, yeah: you have to hand it to the Olympics. Even if, yes, I did watch some of that video posted above and, yes, it makes some entirely fair criticisms of the whole thing.

The completely unexpected surprise of in '16 watching in real time as Thomas Barr won his semi final in the hurdles is one of my personal favourite ever sporting moments witnessed. I vividly remember my stream of thoughts at the time:

"My god there's an Irish lad in this, fair play to him, hope he doesn't finish last... Jesus, he's doing okay, you know... Jesus he's doing well! Fcking hell he's going to win this!..."

Have to say, like the last one, I'll miss the presence of Jerry Kiernan on RTE. One of those faces you only saw at the time of major tournaments, providing analysis. He was a real character.

Seems to be a lot of Irish medal hope this time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,734 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

You do realise there are participation regulations to gain entry to the Olympics, don't you? It's not my favourite game but it is certainly a legitimate sport worldwide. Personally I think synchronised swimming and break dancing are farcical but many people like them. Take what you want from the wide range in the Olympics rather than running down other people's interests.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Too much live swimming shown on the TV stations.

After one week of Olympics I'm still going... more swimming?

I'd love a channel that showed live Shooting, Skateboard and other "side" events that get glossed over too much and pushed out highlights for the sake of Live Swimming.

Although the BBC did give Skateboarding good coverage the last time around.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Time for Timmy McCarthy to be wheeled out again, I do enjoy his enthusiasm.

I know John Kenny is on swimming duty, they've had Gillick doing interviews in the stadium the last few years.

It always annoys me when RTE show soccer over some sport like Olympic Handball or Taekwondo or something, it's on all year round, never mind this watered down version, give me the stuff I won't see for another 4 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,801 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Yeah, I hear what you're saying, but who wouldn't be interested in watching breakdancing at an Olympic level.

Those people who see it as an Art form, not as a sport? Though in saying that, I understand why it’s at the Paris Olympics this time round (it’s not going to be in the LA 2028 Olympics) - because it’s huge In countries like France as well as the countries previously mentioned. It’s cheap, and it breaks down (oh God I didn’t mean that 😂) all sorts of cultural and social barriers:

https://www.cntraveler.com/story/hip-hop-breakdancing-in-paris-france

That’s why the IOC sees it as appealing to a more youthful audience, because it does, and the fact that it’s been around since the 80s is only testament to its legacy. I still wouldn’t regard it as a sport, but fcuk it, it’s great that it’s getting exposure on a global platform. Reminds me of Americans who refer to Irish dancing as a sport, and I’m just like “Meh, whatever 😒”

In all honesty I wouldn’t be following any particular event, I do like the gymnastics and diving events, equestrian events too even though horses terrify the living shyte out of me 😂

Speaking of which, I’m glad the dirty protest in the Seine didn’t happen after, just very unsportsmanlike; the competitors already have enough to contend with:

Among them is a slightly nervous Daniel Wiffen, a world record holder who is set to compete in the Seine, representing Ireland. Paris will be the 23-year-old’s first “big race” in open waters, and he is worried about the water quality. “It’s a big issue,” he says. Ideally, he’d like to take a trial run in the Seine to better understand the currents, and he’s been asking fellow athletes whether they think it’s worth the gamble. “Do you risk two days before your race, getting in the Seine and getting ill the day before your race?” he says.

https://www.wired.com/story/paris-mayor-defies-poo-threats-to-swim-in-seine-and-prove-a-point/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,765 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

I thought Football wasn't a FIFA designated event which is why the clubs don't have to release players. They're opening up proceeding against Canada for spying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,724 ✭✭✭✭klose

Do like a bit of handball

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

Not a hope i'll be watchng any of this on RTE. They showed how useless they were with the EUROS. I'll stick to the BBC.

Big fan of Athletics and watch the Diamond league each events so have some insight as to who to look out for. No doubt RTE will big up Rashida for Gold but she can probably only hope for Bronze at best. The relay teams can forget about any medals. The European Championships although great for the Irish was a sub-par event, obviously missing the big guns from America and with a lot of other countries not having their "A" team involved.

For those in to perving at the ladies, you can keep an eye out for the womens Pole Vault comp. Plenty of cheek on show if that's your fancy

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Baba Yaga

when does the womens beach volley ball start..? erm…asking for…ah…ahm…friend..?

"They gave me an impossible task,one which they said I wouldnt return from...."

ps wheres my free,fancy rte flip-flops...?

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Baba Yaga

great stuff….i…i mean my friend thanks you!

"They gave me an impossible task,one which they said I wouldnt return from...."

ps wheres my free,fancy rte flip-flops...?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,734 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Absolutely BBC all the way for me. Their commentators and pundits are streets ahead of the poor showing on RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

I’m looking forward to watching the Kayak Cross which is new this Olympics.

For those wondering about how the Brits will do, well in Athletics they only have less than a handful of real gold hopes. Molly Caudery (Pole Vault) Keely Hodgkinson, Matthew Hudson Smith, Josh Kerr have live chances for Gold. After that they don't have huge amount of depth.

Their relay teams might medal (Bronze at best) Dina Asher Smith their only real hope in the 100/200 should not medal based on who is quicker this year.

They have no real men in the sprints likely to medal also.

Expect the Africans to dominate the long distance as per usual and the Americans to be very strong.

Look out for Valerie Allman from the States in the Discuss, she's an ex-dancer, is a cert to win gold and is an absolutle speciman of a lady

• Registered Users Posts: 23,801 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Any idea where to watch equestrian, gymnastics or diving? They don’t seem to be on Sky Sports at all, they’re all on Discovery+, but they’re content blocked I think? 😖

I was going to watch them in spite of Jessica Springsteen not qualifying, and Charlotte Dujardin has had a recent fall from grace which sees her out of the competition:

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/sports/olympics/2024/07/06/jessica-springsteen-equestrian-paris-olympics-qualify/74318628007/

https://www.skysports.com/amp/olympics/news/15234/13184208/charlotte-dujardin-out-of-olympics-the-video-the-reaction-and-what-happens-now-explained

I can watch the “Gentlemen of culture” stuff on YouTube, but that’s not much consolation 😂

Damned content blocking was inevitable I suppose for one of the biggest global events in the sporting calendar 😡

• Advertisement
Advertisement