Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should we stop reading the news

2»

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Simplistic. Nobody is saying we should not read scandals in Ireland. But how much do we need to know about Gaza? I can see it now Israel pulls out of Gaza because Irish people outraged.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭patmahe

I check the news about every 48 hours just to make sure WWIII hasn't broken out and to stay mildly informed about the issues of the day, but I certainly don't want notifications going direct to my phone every 5 minutes with some awful news 24/7, its almost never anything good, the old news adage of 'if it bleeds it leads' seems more prevalent than ever. For some people there seems to be genuine FOMO, for me I'm happy enough to just drip feed it to myself whenever the notion takes me. I don't want to avoid the news, but I don't need it all day every day.

I've dialed everything way back from a social media point of view too over the past couple of years, can't say I miss it.

Id like any critiques of the piece itself. I wasn't sure if I handled rape stories that well. Again I emphasis im not making money off the piece or clicks. Not in that game at present.

https://medium.com/%40williamlynch1970/stop-reading-stuff-that-makes-you-miserable-77c520da3207

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,814 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

it does seem an outdated concept when you think about it, something for old people I guess?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭HBC08

Same as that.

I loved consuming news when I was younger and especially talk radio.In the last 10 years or since Brexit/Trump/Covid/ukraine/Gaza /immigration it has become very toxic.Its designed to illicit a reaction from people and its usually fear/anger/frustration.The vast majority is negative.

The online situation and social media in particular in 10 times worse.I think we'll look back in decades to come and be aghast at the resultant health and social problems caused by misinformation/propaganda/government narratives/doomscrolling/online bickering.

People really have to make a decision about this kind of stuff,it's really insidious,I remember when FB was great craic.

I've (only recently enough) decided I really need to curate what I consume and feel much the better for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

We need to know all about Gaza and the abomination that the state of Israel has morphed into. So we can avoid all business and contact with these pariahs in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Over the last few years, news and current affairs have taken over for me as my passive hobby. What I mean is, in the past, I watched more sports, played video games etc but now I find myself turning to Youtube and listening to podcasts to keep up with what's going on in Ireland and around the world.

I've definitely come to the conclusion, ignorance is bliss. As I'm sure we all do, I have friends and family who are completely disconnected from the news. Ukraine, Gaza, Brexit, Trump etc etc, wouldn't feature for a moment in their minds from one week to the next. Are they any worse off? No. Ok, I don't want to be one of these people who just reads facebook, trusts nothing and no-one and just talks about conspiracies, but there is certainly a quota of news that is healthy and amount above that, that is pointless and counter-productive. The older generations had it right in the pre tech era. Buy the odd newspaper and watch the odd news bulletin. Job done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,021 ✭✭✭furiousox

I used to wake up fairly content but by the time I'd listened to the news and "it says in the papers" I'd find myself to be in a deep and existential funk.

So about March last year (around the time of the earthquake in Turkey?) I stopped listening/watching to all news media as an experiment.

It's a bit disconcerting at first but you get used to it and you realise quickly that you can live quite happily without being constantly bombarded by "news".

I did get some pushback from work colleagues who said that it was a mistake and that I "needed to stay informed"

My argument back was that there are tribes in the Amazon jungle living quite happily for years without ever "needing to stay informed"

I also feel that unless something lands at my front door and affects me or my family then it's largely irrelevant to my day to day living.

I still hear bits and pieces of news second hand so I'm aware of the recent Crotty trial etc but as far as Gaza/Ukraine goes I've no idea of any occurrences there for 12 months or more.

I've seen friends and family upset and annoyed over what's happening in Gaza but why put yourself through that?

It seems to me any news item will either annoy you or agitate you so why expose yourself to that on a daily basis over something you can't change or control?

It's funny when you haven't seen Sky news for months and catch a glimpse in a doctor's waiting room, the shouting and urgency of the newsreaders is actually quite obvious and amusing.

CPL 593H

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,147 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I deleted all the news apps on my phone when I went on holidays recently (having deleted all social apps some time ago). Basically it was like going back in time to the days when the only news you saw while away was maybe a 3 day old copy of the Daily Mail. I got home and saw a story about "Finance Minister Jack Chambers" and thought WTF?

More generally there is too much news available and I don't think it's a positive development; there's a lot of bad stuff going on in the world that I can't do sh|t about, and it doesn't help my mental state to be reading about it all the time. I don't think we should be ignorant of world events, but there is a balance to be struck and I think I was happier when I read the newspaper in the morning and maybe watched the 9 o'clock news and that was it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Musicrules

So many people have a prejudice depending on where they hear their news. BBC viewers have a warped view of different topics, the same as some who watch Russia Today. Propaganda still rules the World. The funny thing is that so many don't realise how easily they are influenced.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,838 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Both sides nonsense. Can you prove the BBC is as bad as RT?

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Can you prove the BBC is better than Russia Today?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

And what's wrong with you having this interest? What do the others be doing? Probably watching endless series of rubbish on Netflix etc. Then watching them again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,838 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Don't have to. It's your claim. Since you have nothing, we're done here.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,632 ✭✭✭archfi

24 hour news channels are the worst of the worst. Avoid if possible, definitely don't have it on all day long.

I'd say take in as wide a breadth of sources as possible, especially include sources that do not conform to your worldview. Definitely never oversaturate your mind with nonsense and biased headlines (which most 'news' is)

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Advertisement

I disagree. Awfully handy for me, no matter where I am, to be able to get Sky News on Youtube at any time to see what's going on. Obviously, it's important to consume in moderation.

So you can't show how Russia Today is worse than the BBC? Damn straight we're done here. Don't be so ridiculous. 🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Nothing at all wrong with it. But whereas once I believed being informed and interested in what's going on was a better way to spend your downtime rather than living on Netflix etc, I'm now not so sure. The world is absolutely fcuked. Peak capitalism has stacked the deck against young people. Corporate power has an iron grip on the western world and it's only getting tighter. Democracy is getting shakier by the year and populism is becoming the norm, fueled by social media. We don't even need to mention the climate and the very real physical and social threats that that has in store for us all.

My admittedly pessimistic view is that this ship is holed below the water and it's only a matter of time. My thinking now is, it's probably better to focus on yourself and those close to you and just keep an ear open for whatever else is going on beyond that. Comsuming vast amounts of news thru various platforms to the extent that it becomes your daily and nightly diet of tv/internet, is probably not the best use of ones time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Why do you feel the need to ask nonsensical questions? Are you going to try to claim that the Russian government don't control the Russian news?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

"We're done here" seems to be your catchphrase.

• Advertisement

In fairness, there's not much else I can add when someone can't be bothered to make their own argument.

I said some BBC viewers have a warped view on various topics, the same as Russia Today viewers. The other poster can't show how he thinks the BBC is any better, can you?

Argument? This is an anonymous discussion forum, why are you spending your day arguing?

I just made a point and I made it very clearly. Actually, you proved my point and you haven't even realised it! 🤣

'The funny thing is that so many don't realise how easily they are influenced.'

The reason why people need to look at the news and read about what's going on in the world including negative stuff is because if you don't you could end up posting something like this. This post makes me worried about the future of human beings.

Part of the article I wrote was taken from a book. Well influenced. Rolf dobbelli stop reading the news

He makes the point that a lot of news articles are not in depth and don't cover all the angles. It perhaps would be impossible to do so. Thus an article showing violent attacks on the increase could be down to more people reporting incidents rather than more violence.

Same with the health service. I heard today about a man who got a hip replacement at age 90. Unusual. He lived alone and had no car. The hip operation transformed his life but you rarely hear these stories. We are led to believe we have a 3rd world health service.

https://medium.com/%40williamlynch1970/stop-reading-stuff-that-makes-you-miserable-77c520da3207

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 155 ✭✭Quiet Achiever

I like the news and knowing what's happening on the world, but i adore this quote from John McGahern which i read regularly to keep me grounded (along with That They May Face the Rising Sun)

"The best of life is lived quietly, where nothing happens but our calm journey through the day, where change is imperceptible and precious life is everything" - John McGahern

That's like asking me to prove the earth is not flat, your asking a very childish and silly question. If someone thinks something the BBC says is incorrect you can make a complaint to Ofcom and the BBC would have to be able to verify their story, they have guidelines they have to follow and their journalists can report the news without fear that the truth could put them in prison for decades. In Russia if a reporter tells the truth about what's happening in Ukraine its off to prison they go.

You're finally getting the point! Took you long enough. It was a ridiculous post by the other poster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭mykrodot

thanks for that, its really lovely. Next books I read (or re-read) will be John McGahern.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 Redacted Circular

See this is my point. This poster is probably sitting there with a **** eating grin thinking 'damn boy, I just smoked dat fool' but really he could have used that time to start reading a book or guitar lessons or something positive.

Of course I am just as bad by posting here. The news is not the problem, it's us. And by us, I mean us internet contrarians who feel we need to win every argument.

I don't recall ever dealing with that poster. I won't be doing that again based on this exchange.

The problem is not posting here, it's whether or not you do it in moderation and in a constructive manner. I won't pretend to meet either standard all or even most of the time but I am getting better at not engaging people who are just here to spread nonsense for lols.

This site still has some benefits, most recently for me being the nice John McGahern quote from @Quiet Achiever above.

• Great quote that. In the last year I've cancelled all my newspaper subs and closed my X/Twitter account where I followed a load of news feeds (just have 2 left, one for sport, the other for weather). Fed up of continuous misery, be it Gaza/Ukraine/Trump/climate change etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭indioblack

I think I'll stick with the BBC. I may be a bit warped - but I can live with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

It's good for a quick headline when something happens, but the punditry/talking head opinions is nonsense.

That's no problem, as long as you know you're being brainwashed as much as Russia Today viewers. 😊

😮Not only am I being brainwashed by them - I'm paying them to do it with my tv licence. 😊

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 635 ✭✭✭InAtFullBack

Twain summed it up quite well:

“If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.”

• Advertisement

Look on the bright side - they didn't fool you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,791 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

BBC are probably the most reliable news source you'll get

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 635 ✭✭✭InAtFullBack

Advertisement