Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forest Fest - Emo, Co. Laois - 2024

15678911»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭Choochtown

Completely surpassed all my expectations.

Only gripe was the camping chairs as mentioned above. Seemed as if some people assumed you could set them down 3 metres from a stage and somehow reserve your prime spot for the day! The ones mentioned above at the Undertones gig (6 in a row) were empty when we arrived with coats/jumpers on them!!!! I think the owners arrived back just before the gig to find a crowd around them. What did they expect ?

Otherwise everything was fantastic!

The soundness of the crowds. Some of the gigs were like a mass joyous singalong. We were some of the last to leave general camping this morning and the place was spotless - a far cry from some other festivals I've attended.

Stage timings were bang on and sound was excellent. Kudos to all involved in that area.

Enjoyed immensely virtually every band I got to see particularly the Wedding Present, Glasvegas, Sharon Shannon, The Frank and Walters, Paul Brady, the Undertones, Ash and The Fat Lady Sings (how happy was Nick Kelly with the reception they got?). Tribute bands were also great craic.

So full of festival joy (or Wicklow Wolf pale ale) that I didn't even mind the long walk to and from the campsite although I heard someone saying that there was an €8 charge for the shuttle bus. Anyone know if that's true? Disappointing if so.

Fully intend to return next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Brady was great as usual and seemed really upbeat this year. Rain started falling for first time this festival during his set which put a little downer on things but alas.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Wizard

We just back today and had a fantastic weekend. Excellent lineup and very well run. Staff and volunteers were all amazing.

We caught the last act on fleadh stage last night. Elephant sessions and blew us away. Were amazing.

One small gripe was the camping chairs. No prob with chairs but there are huge grass areas. Really no need for them to be inside the tent areas.

Apart from that had a ball and roll on next year !!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 RangerToby

Just back home now - Enjoyed this one over all and its quite different from the festivals we usually go to. Clearly a more 'mature' crowd that like their camp chairs. ( admittedly by the Sunday we took ours in too but mainly for our kid to sleep on while we danced.)

I've come to the conclusion that legacy bands, although initially a draw for me at this festival are actually not really what I enjoyed the most. I found them all a bit flat, tired and they seemed to be going through the motions for the better part with the exception of Bad Manners and Ash! For example, we ditched the Stunning 4 songs in for Something Happens who were fun and full of energy and genuinely seem stoked to be there. This seems a rare trait in long standing groups that have had bigger success in previous years. Even Ocean Colour Scene were a shadow of when I last saw them at glasto in 2000. So by Sunday were didn't bother at all with any of the big names (except Bad Manners) and focused on my curiosity picks. Had an absolute blast of a last day as a result.

Our top picks that we stayed the whole sets for where The Barley Mob (always enjoy these chaps) Post Party, Huartan, Bog Bodies, Thanks Mom, Elephant Sessions.

Would we return to FF? - perhaps… - Not a fan of the venue, its a bit soulless, doesn't have the site variation and elements of discovery and dressing we find enhance a festival experience but the overall crowd and vibe was good. Shocking sound bleed with everything crammed into such a small area however very well run from an event logistics point of view. Was good to be able to get into Campervan area the evening before. All the Staff and Volunteers were brilliant, including when we raised the alarm on a campers LPG tank pishing gas out - it wasn't the one shown on the big screen! and took us to take the steward directly to it at 1am up the row a bit as once the wind calmed it was easier to locate. We were downhill from it and it was draining and collecting in our awning!

Did anyone else find the main stage sound was generally shite all weekend? - I know the wind was affecting it a bit on Saturday… Sounded ok for King Kong Company - Possibly have their own sound engineer?

And one final honourable mention - Wicklow Wolf - Eclipse Stout…. Where have you been all my life!!! - Its Delicious!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

First time to go to this festival for me(and the missus). We went on the Friday and Saturday. Highlights for me were The Cult, Fat Lady Sings(best band of the weekend), The Undertones, The Blues Collective, and the Shane McGowan tribute. Payl Brady shouldn't have been on the main stage IMO -- he was fflat and predictable IMO.

Drawbacks: only one accessible portaloo in the whole venue was ridiculous.

EDIT: Mundy was f***ing brilliant too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,466 ✭✭✭Macy0161

First time at this one, and we really enjoyed it.

Campervan site was really well set up we thought, and toilets kept well there (and in the festival). Urinals not so much, but that's probably not the fault of the set up unless they installed more elsewhere.

Great to have two really excellent craft beer options, despite the queues on Friday. But being able to buy cans was great

Our main complaint was the camping chairs on Sunday evening in the Village tent. Really lucky there wasn't an incident if there was any kind of rush forward. Needed security to be more proactive I felt.

Crowd was good generally. However, down the front for the Shane tribute there was one prick getting irritated that the singing and jumping/ dancing was interfering with his video recording. I'd agree with the above, should've been the main stage (and I'd imagine Stereo MC's better suited to the tent too).

Music wise surprising highlights for us were Bad Manners, Dexy's, EMF and Pogueology. I knew the Undertones were great, but the better half now convinced. King Kong Company (as always) lived up to expectations. No interest in The Cult, so didn't really catch any of that. For the punk head in me, I enjoyed Trouble Pilgrims (only caught the early set) and Aoife Destruction despite being early on the main stage.

Disappointments:- Ocean Colour Scene, living up to the 90's label of Ocean Duller Scene - we should've gone Sharon Shannon. The View were also a bit crap - should've gone to Pauric O'Meara, who was excellent from what we caught.

Overall, we enjoyed the vibe, assuming it stays in this musical sphere. Some of the best parts of the way were wan

At the front for the Shane tribute I was getting a bit annoyed that some prick's video recording was interfering with my singing and dancing 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Stellarshade

Oh the schlep to and from the general camping site….. They had "10 mins walk" marked on their site map. Last year there were loads of shuttle buses, this year nothing except buses for some mess up with glamping apparently. At one point on Friday the bus company was offering a fare of €8 each way each day per person but and end was put to that. Even the stewards thought there were meant to be shuttle buses running. For some of the mature element of the audience that walk was no joke. One member or our group has knackered knees and was in a bad way at the end of it all. It wouldn't stop me going again but I really do think they should have shuttles for that distance.

Some of the stewards were clueless. We arrived in Emo early enough on Fri, put the window down and asked a steward where to drive for general camping ... he hadn't a clue. He pointed up the hill by the pub. I said "are you sure that's not caravan and families ?" and he answered "maybe I'm not sure!!!" Drove on to the next steward and he wasn't sure either but at that stage we were already in 1 way territory.

I seem to remember the same cluelessness 2 years ago.

Nothing half an hour's training and a site map wouldn't sort for next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Well just in the door and had a fantastic week and weekend. Highlights, well was working on Friday till about 7 pm and was shattered so was in the volunteer hub as it started to rain, enjoyed Ryan Sheridan although not at the gig but the volunteer hub was next to the Village Stage and various other acts that played that stage when I was there will note more in blog when I have the timetable handy. Didn't really venture into the arena till 10 and caught the last two acts in the Fleadh stage and enjoyed some of Divine Comedy from the Fleadh area. Saturday caught a bit of Glasvegas, the excellent These Charming Men, Harvest, The Cult (Astbury didn't need to make that statement, he said keep politics out of rock n roll but then he goes and makes a political statement) I enjoyed their gig though I always thought they were more goth but they were more a metal band really. Andy Irvine as usual was excellent it was sad Donal Lunny couldn't make it and Sharon Shannon they day before in the tent wished him well so hopefully he makes a recovery and gets the Bothies back together. Stockton's Wing who were fun but also clashed with Paul Brady who I could hear from the main stage. Loved Bad Manners set great energetic stuff for the time of the day but forgot to take my phone/camera to take a clip. I thought the Human League was brilliant, top production of sound and still sounding amazing I loved that they played six of the best tracks from Dare. Oddly the Palestinian flag was missing from the set when the HL played The Lebanon. Stereo MCs I found amazing too, sound was amazing for tracks like Connected. Will hopefully have full review up in 3 or 4 days.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Subscribers Posts: 41,752 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

https://archive.ph/V3IP5

There are ways and means

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭rockterrain

Excellent weekend. OCS, The Wedding Present, Human League, Big bodies, Stockton's Wing all brilliant. Two main quibbles: aforementioned lack of policy on camping chairs really hampered enjoyment and were a safety concern and the scale and positioning of the restricted mobility seating resulted in a lot of restricted viewing in the main stage arena.

Some clips back to front.

Sunday main stage closer Stereo MCs Connected.

The Human League - Love Action.

Stocktons Wing - Walk Away.

Andy Irvine - The Blacksmith.

Bad Manners - Walking in the Sunshine.

Kerbdog.

The Cult - She Sells Sanctuary.

Glasvegas - Geraldine.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Chelon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Great stuff BD! I didn't bump into over the weekend at all...even though I was in the staff camp area a few times myself!

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Ride, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

There was two staff camping areas Penfailed, I was in Core Camping which was opposite to village direction about a kilometre and a half, your probably referring to volunteer camping (Weekend volunteers working the live event) which was part of the general campsite beyond the village about a kilometre.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure...it was a fair dander. Out of the festival site, turn right, next left, walk for ages, on the left down a wee short lane into a field.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Ride, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭boomdocker

That camping chair business would be a complete head wrecker. Saw a bit of it at BTP but they had the manners (or sense?) to be up against the barrier, so not too bad

I guess it's a reflection of the age demographic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,466 ✭✭✭Macy0161

And the weather I would think. If it was a decent day I think they would be setting up camp out in the sun. It was a balls anyway regardless of the reason!

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Chelon

Anyone else think the sound bleed was much worse this year? I know Neil Hannon wasn't happy about it…

I noticed it much more this year. Perhaps the rain had a sound dampening effect last year...

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭rockterrain

In fairness Neil Hannon would have received soundbleed from Dublin given the dour nature of his set. Couldn't hack more than 20 minutes. Not headliner material imo. But yes, they added an extra stage in an already confined space so something they need to look at fit for next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭Blackjack

I was going to say the same. Never a big fan of the Divine Comedy, I’ve always found they had soundbleed from each song into the next. Very little variety in their output in my view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,926 ✭✭✭patrickc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,794 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Thats interesting, i really enjoyed DC too but the rest of my group were bored to tears. A bit of a marmite set.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Aside from refusing to play Lovely Horse when many were shouting it at him and he was acknowledging it and cutting National Express short it was a fun set. He is a funny guy between the songs too.

Advertisement