Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does your beef factory pay electronically

• 24-07-2024 8:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭

Please select option from if you have been paid electronically by any of these plants.

It's to get an idea on the amount that are offering it. Talk might force more to have to offer it

Does your beef factory pay electronically 11 votes

Abp
    27%
    mr.stonewallDukeCaboomjohn457 3 votes
    Kepak
    18%
    thereitisgoneLorne Armstrong 2 votes
    Dawn
    0%
    Liffey Meats
    9%
    tabby aspreme 1 vote
    Kildare chilling
    9%
    hurikane 1 vote
    Foyle
    0%
    Ashbourne meats
    9%
    orm0nd 1 vote
    Jennings
    0%
    Eurofarm
    0%
    Others please name in a relpy
    27%
    huey1975kk.manI says 3 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Abp

You can only select one reply so if you have been paid electronically by others not selected, please choose that one instead.

God damn poll options only allow one choice in boards

Abp

I will edit this post here to key a list of those that do pay EFT

Abp

Ashbourne meats

Kepak

Kildare chilling

Liffey meats

Post edited by mr.stonewall on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Conversations 3

All I get are cheques and it's a right pain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 475 ✭✭HHH

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

I sent cattle to ABP Waterford over the past few months and always got a cheque. No mention of getting paid electronically but then again I didn't ask.

Is it a case that some ABP plants pay by cheque and some electronically? Or they all do and you just have to ask?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭kk.man

I sent stock to Cahir, Slaney, Ballon and ICM. Neither offered EFT. Kilkenny Mart is the only outlet every offered me it.

Abp

When asked the they most will provide it. The only experience of a factory not offering it was kepak approx 3 years ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,335 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Echoing @Siamsa Sessions I wonder how many people have actually asked (or insisted) either the factories or mart that they send/sell cattle too.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

If enough people ask it might put some small bit of pressure on them.

I'm assuming it's all electronic for co-ops and there's no more milk cheques in the post?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

I asked liffey a year or so ago. They said they were in the process of setting it up. I could have done it in two minutes for them. Got a cheque off them the other day. Must ask the next time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,734 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

On marts. Carnew offered and I may get it finalised with them.

On factories. I have none yet. And I have a cheque over six months I may bring back to the factory office to get re issued.

On milk coops. Yes Tirlan straight into account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭StevenToast

ABP Nenagh only give cheques....

Its a massive inconvenience in this day and age to collect and lodge a cheque....

My theory on it is this....i reckon there is alot of uncashed cheques lying around in old farmers drawers and under their beds....hundreds of thousands of euros each year going unlodged for months at a time because the auld farmer is waiting for a few cheques to build up to head into town to go to the bank and get a haircut....better yet for Larry, the auld farmer might keel over in that time and a few cheques are never lodged and are lost under the mattress forever....

No flies on Larry......

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

Abp

Did you ask. Have been paid from there and Cahir with EFT since Oct 22

Yes, I have asked.....on multiple occasions....

I will be asking again now after your post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭DBK1

A bachelor in his 70’s local enough here had a few health issues earlier in the year and had to go to hospital for a while. A brother of his stayed in his house for a couple of weeks to look after the stock and all for him. He was doing a bit of tidying up and opened an old biscuit tin, full of mart cheques that were never cashed.

I’d say there’s plenty of logic in what you’re saying.

Exactly we have no idea. The factories and marts are creaming it. Alot of people thinking of avoiding tax too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,926 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

A najor reason is even with the best will in the world it will take 5-10 working days before cheque clear.

Cattle slaughtered today, it will be Friday before the cheque arrives at the earliest. It may take you a couple days minimum to lodge it. If it's a different bank it will take a couple days to leave processors account.

If it an average of a week to leave tge account that is about 250 million in free credit that processors have.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭Seadin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭I says

Cheque, which reminds I’ve to lodge it today.

Abp

With EFT I have often had the money in the account 2 days after slaughter

• Advertisement

Are you a bigshot? Sending hundreds into Larry every year...getting special treatment?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 dairyedge

Never in my life paid electronically. Always get a cheque at least 1 week after. Go to 3 different factories.

Abp

Far from being bigshot. This section on boards is all about helping and informing us farmers to better out businesses. Remember play the post and not the man. Killing 60-70 a year.

Not having a go at all....just cant understand how you are getting EFT when ive been told to my face on several occasions they wont do it....

Abp

I was getting kill sheets emailed on the day of the kill and sent a reply back to the person sending these asking did the do EFT, they said yes and emailed the forms and I sent the back within 20 mins. Set up on the system then.

I can't understand the differences that people are experiencing. Maybe its time for Charlie to put an SI in place stating that all meat processors must offer the payment via EFT. If DAFM can do there is no excuse

They would resist it, it's a right money spinner for them and farmers are their own worst enemy.

I called to a factory where I had a cheque over six months. Closed so I rang and the call transferred to a different factory in the state. Asked about transfer straight into my account. A brazen sounding man said they don't do that and said to send the cheque back and he was strongly enferring they'd be sending paper back.

There's been vote or votes for the factory here saying they do transfer to bank. So I sent the cheque back with all my bank details and bank managers details and all contact details for me.

The factory local where I called which was closed on the day the phone answerer put off that they wouldn't be dealing with any of that. Didn't sound very professional and if they were worried of my identity then a scan of my drivers licence in the office would have done surely. He reiterated they don't do transfer to bank account. But I'll see how I'll get on with the letter I wrote accompanying the cheque.

Our farm unions should get behind getting all factories and all farmers signed up to transfer to bank account. Milk processors are doing it per normal for years now. Marts are gone that way too. But it seems the meat factories are still dragging badly. It's like they need an external force or shock to move them in action. A wavin pipe or ash plant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭DBK1

While I agree with what you’re saying, I still have to tell you that you’re exactly the reason they won’t do electronic transfer.

For what reason would you not have lodged a cheque for over 6 months? That’s an idiotic thing to do for anyone running any business.

When they see this happening they’re never going to do electronic transfer because a certain amount will never cash the cheque as it could have been lost or forgotten about in that length of time, or in certain cases the farmer could have passed on and next of kin know nothing about the cheque, so the factory end up with free beef instead.

Why would they want to change this setup?

Abp

A few have mentioned that the farm orgs should be pressing for it. It's everyone that should be pressing for it. Remember the noisy wheel gets the oil. It's a simple request that the farmer has the the option of being paid by eft if requested.

Killed 4 cattle Friday morning, kill sheet emailed to me by 11.30am Friday morning. Kill docket with pricing emailed before 10 am Monday morning and money in my account by teatime Monday. A bit quicker as it's the same banks.

Nag the farm orgs and politicians as this can be an easy win for farmers

• Advertisement

Never happened before that I had an overdate cheque. It was getting passed over in the pile as I thought the cheque was removed from the statement.

They will do electronic transfer. Everyone else is at it and why should farmers put up with gombeensm from beef factories acting the cute hoors. We are expected to be online from the dept of agriculture and we are now from all services to just dealing with the last laggards in beef factories.

Advertisement