Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sinn Fein and how do they form a government dilemma

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,104 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

• Registered Users Posts: 4,708 ✭✭✭standardg60

So what? What consultation is required, it's just a thinly veiled buzzword for those who think they should have a veto over who moves into their area, no one gets to decide that in a free country.

You've long said your area is nigh on 50% migrants, do you think you should have been consulted beforehand?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,930 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

It's your government who are claiming (and the radio host PBH) that proper consultation/communication is being carried out.

Is it adequate? Clearly not, if a well known community person in Coolock can say it came as a complete surprise.
    I don't know if he is telling the truth, I asked was there a diligent journalist willing to find out the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,942 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

You are correct, all of the right-wing idiots talk about consultation and services. Some politicians like MLMD are now dog-whistling to that agenda.

The leader of your party, the one you vote for was extolling at length that the government were fully consulting with the community and carrying out audits just yesterday. The far right dog whistler himself, Eamon Ryan!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,942 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Yes, they are, and they have been, but it is the racists and the dog-whistlers who are saying that there hasn't been enough, which is code for we don't want them here. MLMD is playing to that far-right agenda, Eamon Ryan isn't.

You have proven my point with your contribution.

Yes, they are, and they have been, 

Can you prove that?

Can you contradict the guy from Coolock, a longtime community activist who claims the Crown Paints facility came as a 'complete surprise' to anyone involved with the community?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭pureza

The Irish times can contradict the guy on Callan yes

Clearly he wasn't aware of meetings in March and April

Since those did actually happen,he is not correct to say there was zero consultation

That being said,consulting anywhere at this stage will get a No but we still have obligations to accomadate these migrants untill they are processed

https://www.irishtimes.com/ireland/social-affairs/2024/07/17/information-vacuum-allowed-far-right-to-stoke-coolock-fears/

Mary Lou was stupid not to have figures this morning,pure stupid,she needed them to properly argue the case for hiring more inspectors

Wishy washy policy documents a transition year student could write and get low marks for,are a stupid idea period

Probably designed to waffle their way out of a dilemma posed by the tricolour usurping far right but do ya know it's going to do the opposote for SF,What on earth are they at,it has to be asked

If that is the kind of 'communication' - an 'email' and 'invite only meeting', that suffices, the future might be rough for government and it's support tbh.
    And that is before we get around to these 'audits' Ryan claims were completed and chose the likes of Coolock.
    Maybe the focus on MLMD is to keep focus away from the above.

There was a meeting though

Callans guest was wrong

Callan must have missed the piece in the IT in his paper review

• Advertisement

You can call ‘invite only’ meetings communication if you want, others would call it something else.

The worrying thing is most of the actors in the protests are usually in SF's voter pool not the governments

Ergo I would argue SF would want to be doing a lot better than todays miserable effort to placate them towards SF being the answer

And it was miserable

Turn to the far right?

Has that salivating not stopped at this stage?

You're obsessed with every criticism of SF's slipshod performance handling the flag usurpers hijacking of the vote being a request for it to go far right

Weak waffle today,with no specifics,who in SF's offices came up with that strategy?

Who is going to be the clever one here SF or the likes of II ?

I’m obsessed? Lol.

It’s been clear as day for quite some time they don’t want this vote and won’t chase it.
    You are obsessing about them changing tack to get this vote back. It’s embarassing now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,229 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Here is a link to the interview if anyone wants to listen. Starts around 1 minute in.

https://www.rte.ie/radio/radio1/today-with-claire-byrne/2024/0724/1461562-today-with-claire-byrne-wednesday-24-july-2024/

Brian Cowen's early morning infamous interview seems sensible compared to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,502 ✭✭✭touts

It's certainly up there with Brian Cowen's Galway interview and Maria Bailey's "I'm the real victim here" interview.

She is fast becoming Sinn Fein's Joe Biden. And it only ends for her the same way it has ended for Biden. The sooner she recognises that the better for the party.

The desperation is very clear here.
    Cowen's interview had every single opposition party and even his own party in uproar for days if not weeks.
    Seems to me another female TD complaining about her treatment by an arrogant agenda driven journalist is today's news.

Maybe MLMD's term is coming to an end but comparing her to a drunken FFer is a bit cringe tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,498 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

The "drunken FFer" had some excuse….MLMCD had none.

She does Brendan, the host was smug, rude and didn't allow her answer…you could call him an 'attack dog' in fact. Guess who said this about him in the past?

Fair play to Darragh O’Brien.....ripped out Boucher Hayes a new one.

maybe if I got good odds on Oliver Callan the ‘sultan of Shill’or  Boucher Hayes, the ‘Sultan of Smug’ I might risk a brown note..

Boucher Hayes and his attack dog Lenihan spend the last 15 mins trying to pour shade on the Government. Ok they are making a bollox of things but absolutely no balance....

Boucher Hayes for me comes across as an over smug individual

Yes, it was YOU Brendan. Seems all the attributes you complain about are useful when it comes to having a go at the Shinners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Mary Lou has become late stage Leo for SF. The fizz is gone out of the bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,577 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

If Government produce a policy you see the cost in the next budget when its implemented. Take the RTE funding, they have produced a three year funding model so it's there for all to see.

SF expects to produce policy documents with no funding costs or predictions. 800 extra PS will cost 50 million and that is only the tip of the iceberg. Government build accommodation probably another 3-5 billion. This is similar to there housing policy it targeted at those that have no grasp of economics. There goes any extra tax relief for workers for the next 5 years. Not only that the more you look at there policies you are looking at significant tax rises to fund them

MLMD taught she should be allowed to maje a party political broadcast

Slava Ukrainii

But isn't that the game here

You try to rip out the ffg'ers and they do your party,why are you complaining?

You've also just presented evidence again that PBH is impartial,he treats everyone the same,and an attack dog interviewer

If SF perform as bad as yesterday with him on other topics,do you know,they're goosed

Nobody has been able to produce a policy on immigration with 'costs' produced by any of the parties vying to be the next government.
    I would sincerely hope that government spending (a different thing to what was asked for) would be included in actual budgets.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,540 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I’ve just listened to Mary-Lou’s RTE interview with B-H, good Lord, she was like a cranky child, for the main opposition leader to get bent out of shape when asked about the cost of some of her party’s initiatives is at best lacking in preparation, at worst, gross ineptitude for going gung-ho whilst not knowing the costs involved. But then to accuse the interviewer of “nit picking” and rudeness for asking the questions in the manner he did, well that was disastrous.
    It certainly appears that Mary Lou is losing her bearings at the worst possible time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,829 ✭✭✭blackwhite

It's almost like she's been spending too much time listening to their online trolls. She's reached the point of taking offence if someone dares to question her

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

I don’t care for PBH’s style myself. It wasn’t a difficult interview. Pat Kenny or Aine Lawlor would have used a much more subtle style and destroyed her even more completely.

Regardless of style, Mary Lou rocked up expecting to be able to do her “let me be very clear” and blaming the government for everything routine. Instead she was asked questions about the specifics of her party’s policy. She didn’t know them. She then got ratty and rude.

It’s not the first time. She doesn’t have a good grasp of detail.

There’s a lovely irony in SF supporters complaining about his style when SF’s modus operandi in the Dáil is shouting, interrupting, being deliberately antagonistic, sneering and jeering. Real dish it out but can’t take it merchants.

He may be 'impartial' but that doesn't excuse his overbearing and rude behaviour.

Again, he gave no chance for the interviewee to properly respond, made statements on behalf of the government he point blank refused to allow a proper reply to.

If you think it is a journalist's job to do that then you are part of the problem tbh. Imagine it in reverse - a journalist makes a statement on behalf of SF or The Labour party and refuses to allow that be contested…you'd be chatting about Pravda or such like.
    BTW I have no great like for Catherine Martin's tenure as Arts Minister but I can appreciate her criticism of a screaming journalist intent on driving home his agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,540 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

That doesn’t excuse her not knowing how much her policy initiatives are going to cost, and given her tendency to harangue the government in the Dail (which I have no problem with, as it is also their job to answer the hard questions when asked), it was unprofessional to then attack a interviewer for asking very pertinent questions which listeners want to know the answers to. We all know from experience that politicians will waffle during interviews and try and steer the topic away from something they don’t want to talk about, the interviewer sometimes has to be abrupt to keep the conversation on point.

Even the most short sighted SF supporters must now have concerns over her performance as leader over the last year. If you haven’t, then you should, the last 12 months should have been the political equivalent of shooting fish in a barrel, housing crisis/emigration/cost of living/law and order/health service etc, and SF have literally butchered every oppprtunity presented to them by the current government. That has to fall on the leadership.

• Advertisement

Is there any evidence of you complaining when its not a SF person on the receiving end?

We cannot be pots and kettles here

I think he's an arsè by the way

Advertisement