Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vice President Kamala Harris vs Donald Trump 2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Definitely not a “man’s man” Putin broke him and lead him around in public like a dog on a leash. He instantaneously buckles when strong men are around. Trump is a very weak man, many are saying that he is the most weak of all the men.

Doged the draft because his feet are so weak. Sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ronjo

I would have thought threads in Current Affairs would be held to a better standard than After Hours

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭sock.rocker*

Kind of amusing watching Irish people criticise a man for dodging the draft for a horrific pointless war. Of all nations, we are hardly deserving of having such opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,276 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Have you been reading the thread?

The reason why that is being pointed out right now is that some people have a deluded notion of Trump as a man's man.

When he has been obsequious toad to dictators, and dodged military combat.

Also, a rapist. But I suppose that fits the bill of some people's view of what a man's man should be.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Still pretty amusing from a country who aren't even in NATO and depend on their protection from others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,423 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

So a republican says on Fox News Harris is the original Hawk Tuan girl and that’s how she got to where she is.

They really have no low they won’t sink too.

How you think that is anyway relevant is anybody's guess.

The points stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,777 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Furthermore, I do not believe that American voters are ready for 2 women or 2 of color on the same presidential ticket; perhaps someday, but not today.

I think American voters aren’t just ready for two Black women on the same presidential ticket, there’s sufficient evidence which provides reason to believe that Americans are demanding it. I can remember when it was being said at the time that American voters weren’t ready for a Black President when Obama was running for the Democratic nomination -

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2008/jun/01/barackobama.uselections2008

He turned out to be a bit of a damp squib -

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/barack-obama-donald-trump-us-presidency-black-lives-matter-hurricane-katrina-a7413416.html

But I think Harris offers a very different kind of hope and vision for the future of American politics and society and at a moment in American politics which there is even greater calls for a change in the political landscape to get away from the bombastic, peacocking old farts and vote for a candidate with some substance and integrity, who they believe could achieve positive change in America, for all Americans:

https://archive.ph/MOwfI

(small side note: I do wish they’d drop the ‘of color’ designation when referring to people who aren’t white, because while I understand that ‘people of color’ is a generally accepted politically correct term, it’s whitewashing, IMV)

No, the point does not stand. I consider anyone who dodged Vietnam to have done the right thing. I'm on the side of the protestors against that war, not government bootlickers looking down on those who didn't give up everything and fight in a pointless war on the other side of the world.

As an insult, it doesn't work. Ali is seen in a good light for doing similar. And it is asburd that any Irish person would insult someone for dodging a draft when our actual government does the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Avatar in the Post

What point are you trying to make? Seriously.

Ireland has a neutral policy as do other countries. Trump was the leader of the greatest military in human history. He gets a scratch on his ear and compares himself to soldiers, having 'taken a bullet'.

Why are you comparing a COUNTRY to a man. That man is clearly weak in substance in sooooo many ways. Not least the draft dodging. You'll repeat your point again surely, but at best it's very weak, just like your hero.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,708 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

If there was a referendum on NATO membership tomorrow I reckon it would pass. It's not the will of the people on this thread that we are not in it.

By the way, just this past week was the inquest of an Irish soldier who died on active duty with the UN in Lebanon.

So stick that in your pipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,940 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

Ok, but is there not a difference being a conscientious or religious objector, and someone who chickens out with, "bone spurs"?

He's not my hero. I just find it repulsive that American soldiers are held in such high regard that insulting one or dodging the draft is akin to insulting the pope.

That's my point. People are using this against him and in doing so, are denouncing people who dodged that draft.

Again, deliberately missing the point. What's absurd is trying to pretend Trump dodging it was some statement on the justness of the war. It wasn't.

The reason why that is being pointed out right now is that some people have a deluded notion of Trump as a man's man. When he has been obsequious toad to dictators, and dodged military combat.

Also, a rapist. But I suppose that fits the bill of some people's view of what a man's man should be.

And if you are concerned about an administration of government bootlickers, you could at least try an act like it.

Trump wants a staff of government bootlickers. No more people like Pence doing their duty by the constitution.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Avatar in the Post

Do you honestly think he dodged it because he was a conscientious objector… or because he didn't want to risk his privileged life. Your point only begins to make sense if he was gung ho to defend his country, but just not THAT war.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Redliketoast

Its not whataboutary. It is evidence that the Far Left are just as capable of acting like anarchists. If anything, they are more associated with it.

But I am not the one trying to claim one side is better morally than the other. I am saying both are the same. Somehow it is controversial to say that all people are the same.

As for being "triggered" that is a Far left trait. I am not "triggered", I am pointing out that burning effigies is the exact same thing as the art and crafts displayed in Jan 6th. Both sides wanted "blood" and that is unacceptable no matter what side of the aisle you like to frequent.

Again, I am not saying the Left are worse than the Right. The fact that, it is causing controversy says a lot about the mentality of the people on the Left who have a strange elitist mindset.

You are right that there was no riots in 2020. We had grown ups in charge at the time (cant believe I am calling Bush a grown up). They both came out to calm things down. There were lots of demonstrations from both sides. As proven by yourself, some on the left felt it was a stolen election. It wasnt. Either was the one in 2020. Its a result of a really bad way of managing voting.

Yes they are both equal. They are both stupid and dont realise how stupid they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,770 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Honest question is what Harris is doing legal ?

She hasn't been elected as the party candidate or is there some kind of a loophole

More drivel from Trump.

"The environmentalists want wind… the wind kills our birds."

https://x.com/KamalaHQ/status/1815919371908190252

• Registered Users Posts: 15,640 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

at this stage trump needs to step back - way too old for this and showing major signs of dementia/confusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,665 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

He dodged the war, not on pacifist or ideological grounds, but because he is a selfish good for nothing. His sole thinking at that point would have been 'what's in this for me?'.

It's still the case today, I don't think he really believes in anything apart from himself (very much an American Boris Johnson).

• Advertisement

I don't care about why someone dodges a draft for a war the other side of the world. You are both saying that it is ok to insult anyone who dodged it out of fear etc. instead of a moral stand. I find that ridiculous and don't see why anyone would think badly of someone for being too scared to risk their life in a war that is not even defending their country.

I hope you are at least consistent and mock all those Ukrainian men fleeing the draft in Ukraine.

@Strazdas

He dodged the war, not on pacifist or ideological grounds, but because he is a selfish good for nothing. His sole thinking at that point would have been 'what's in this for me?'.

Why do you care that he did that? It wasn't World War II. There wasn't war on American soil. It's ok to be afraid of a pointless death in a jungle in a random country.

Do you genuinely deep down disrespect people who dodge drafts like the one in Vietnam, or is because Trump did it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Perfectly, it's a party selection process and the party can use any approach they want to select the candidate. Primaries only came in after WW2 iirc. She's got the membership backing and has secured the delegates. Also far more preferable for the party to have a definite candidate so they're being pretty sensible TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

The delegates at the convention have been released by Biden and are free to pledge to whoever they want.

Even then the whole concept is governed by precedent rather than anything constitutional - the caucus/primary in every state idea is relatively new.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,708 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

What is she doing that think may not be legal?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,060 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

I can just imagine Trump sitting in his living room with a pair of binoculars looking out his window onto the garden in the hope of seeing a lesser spotted woodpecker

• Registered Users Posts: 5,203 ✭✭✭Shoog

The vote was overturned by the supreme court, it was called for the Dems until the Rubs complained. The court didn't even let the due process conclude. Thats a stolen election in my book.

You don't care. However it appears parts of the American electorate do care. And unlike you also, with large parts of the American electorate, American soldiers are "held in such high regard". So in the context of a discussion on American politics, it is relevant.

And also, if someone presents them as a man's man or is touted that way - then I think it is ok to insult them \ use that as a point against them. They brought that onto the pitch, so it is now fair game.

That's why your Ukraine reference is both not relevant and also off topic. Any further mentions will be ignored accordingly.

It's completely relevant and it's why you've backed down.

If one mocks a man for being scared to fight in a war half way round the world, then one must also mock a man for fleeing his own country that is under invasion.

You are obviously not going to mock Ukrainian men so you've deflected your point onto parts of the American electorate and are shutting down the conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,203 ✭✭✭Shoog

The party takes the primaries under advisement but can select anyone they like - so its entirely legal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Also on top of that he has a history of insulting war heroes and their families. That's why I'm somewhat hoping Mark Kelly gets the VP nomination. Him and Harris will outshine both of them but also think an astronaut and veteran has an appeal for a lot of Americans.

Advertisement