Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2024 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

Broken Record, It's Grey, it's damp, It's humid. Weekend looks grey but with the odd sunny spell and maybe a shower or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,178 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Back on this day the 25th July in 1988 Malin Head recorded the highest 10-min mean wind speed of 102km/h and also the highest gust of 137km/h for the month of July.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

Warm, grey, drizzle. Horrible morning in Dub/Kildare. My house is like Sept/Oct, with massive spiders emerging everywhere. I've just had a 5-hour stand-off with a veritable tarantula hiding under the sitting room doorframe. Between the weather, the spider invasion, and the ripe red rowan berries already covering my lawn, it might as well be autumn. This day can not get any worse than zero sleep and a day out in this humid damp mess.

Ah Spiders are a house's friend. They take care of all the other little pests for their lunch and dinner. I have no problem picking them up although the wife nearly passed out one year when i had some kind of spider not far off the size of my hand that had to be taken outside

I accept they are good and the issue is all mine. I hate them, but always put them outside with a glass and piece of card. I deal with them there and then - get it over with. But this was a whopper that hid, so now he may emerge again at any moment, so I can't relax. My nightmare. He was one of six large ones that appeared yesterday evening. I was just not mentally prepared for this at this stage of the year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Its grey but for once not damp in Cork !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,201 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

On and Off drizzle in Galway this morning, fierce wind there. The sea looks like something out of a December storm.

Hottest temperature I've experienced this summer was 24°c in London. Don't think I've ever been so disappointed.

You'd think surely it has to end, but then it just continues. My poor shoes are in bits from the Wet/Dry cycle they're enduring.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭esposito

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭pauldry

Got very lucky on kids birthday yesterday. Drizzling all the way to Bundoran but Ben Bulben broke up the dank cloud up there so it was dry with some sunshine n quite mild. Needless to say dark and misty again on return to Sligo but 18c mist. Bands of showers this weekend but warm and dry either side.

Last night GFS had a washout of BH weekend but other models 20c plus. Hasn't broken 20c in July yet in Sligo. 19c this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

really dark and gloomy this morning. Middle of the day and lights on in the kitchen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Robwindstorm

Thanks yet again Oscar for those little nuggets of information. We're only a small island and yet you can see how the windspeeds have dropped at Malin Head compared to the 80s. There was serious windspeeds recorded there in February of that year too. The windfield has shifted much further south now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,629 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Without a doubt it is real. The first part of it is related to the variation of the stratospheric polar vortex where we see a deceleration in the strength of the zonal westerlies in the stratosphere through the spring as the Arctic gradually warms up decreasing the temperature contrast that leads to a powering up of the jet stream every autumn/winter.

The second part is related to the increased heat reservoir over the continent with atmospheric pressure falling leading to airflows from sea to land. In turn this leads to enhanced westerly winds after a period of increased frequency of easterly winds through mid-spring to early summer. This explains why May is the sunniest month on average in Ireland with all places seeing a decrease as the summer progresses even though June and July have a higher potential (for example 53N has a maximum potential of 486 hrs through May whilst July has a maximum potential of 499 hrs). Ireland of course does not get even close to these potential totals with the country only receiving between 25 and 35% of the potential on average. All of this is in spite of zonal westerlies aloft still being easterly and do not reverse back to westerly until the final days of August.

There is a misconception that some people think this European monsoon phenomenon is nonsense because July is one of the driest months of the year, especially in southeast England but monsoon doesn't mean increase in rainfall necessarily, it refers to a significant change in the prevailing wind.

There is evidence that Hadley Cell expansion related to climate change is also enhancing this "European monsoon" phenomenon with increased high pressure into Iberia which in turn results in less easterly winds. When you deduct the 500mb geopotential height anomalies for July/August of 1991-20 versus 1961-90, the change to enhanced westerlies is clear as day in these months.

Even 2024 has seen this phenomenon in action. The second half of April 2024 was northerly after an unusually westerly first half that led to a lot of rainfall. May 2024 was easterly but often with low pressure close to the south drawing in humid easterly winds and sometimes volatile so quite cloudy. There was quite a bit of northerly winds through the first half of June but then they veered more northwesterly through into July rather than direct northerly. The "monsoon" is well clear between the summer and mid to late spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Robwindstorm

I remember we lost 12 acres of hay that year. Baled silage wasn't on the go back then so we had to let it rot into the ground after a week of constantly trying to rescue it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭pauldry

A lot of cloudy humid misty weather for rest of July with sun best in the East and windy in the West at times but warm wind. Kinda like Summer normally is. So wev gone from freezing to dull. End this Summer now. Not going on the likes list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,629 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Yes. June was fine with a prolonged dry spell, above average temperatures and sunny for most. However the summer took a massive turn for the worst through July which was one of the most dismal of the century. Daytime temperatures more than 2 degrees below par against modern averages. Many failed to achieve 20C all month - for example, Claremorris' (Mayo) highest temperature in July 1988 was 18.8C. It was also very wet and cloudy with an exceptional windstorm as noted for the time of year. August wasn't terribly much better.

It was the last of 4 consecutive terrible summers from 1985-1988. It wasn't quite as bad as 1985 thanks to a decent June but July 1988 is one of the worst summer months in the last 50 years up with the likes of August 2008 and June 2012.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Unless my memory is playing tricks on me I don't remember seeing so many red berries in July before.

@Billcarson Same. I said the same last week too - rowan berries are fully red for the last fortnight, and now falling off. I usually associate this with September.

Incredibly dark and just after a very heavy downpour in Lucan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

After a real heavy downpour the sun is out again here in Dublin…re the berries I noticed that myself also noticing a lot of leaves falling from trees as well but I suppose we are so close to Autumn now it isn't a total surprise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,458 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Lovely mountain ash trees. It does seem early for the red berries. They might be the only ash trees we have left when the regular ash dies off.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

• Advertisement

Ominous with your post count being at 999…………….

Make it a sunny south east special for 1k

• Registered Users Posts: 9,965 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Sun is finally out in Waterford City unfortunately the wind has come with it. I can't remember the last calm summer we had.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Far more comfortable today at 20C than yesterday. The humidity makes a huge difference.

93rh yesterday compared to 62rh today.

Very pleasant now, with a nice breeze.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,458 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Warm and sunny this afternoon with a lovely breeze. Swim time.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Rugbyf565

weather looked promising for a bit this afternoon in Dublin now it’s just started pissing rain, ugh I hate this country

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Dazler97

It's also 39 years since the great thunderstorm of July 1985 , I wasn't around at the time but I heard it was unreal , it's also 24 years today since concorde crashed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Some heavy rain shower 🚿 here in carrick, the heaviest rain so far this summer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭pureza

90.8 mm/hr rain rate in Arklow at the moment

Wasn't expecting that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,103 ✭✭✭OldRio

A rumble of thunder at 6pm here in Leitrim. Heavy rain.

Advertisement