Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vice President Kamala Harris vs Donald Trump 2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,735 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Still makes more sense than Biden & Word salad Kamala

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Redliketoast

Yea it is their choice who they put forward. The Primaries are the same as just taking a vote amongst your members to see who you want to put forward. The only issue really is the dodgy way they raise funds. Act Blue is as Dodge as anything. More of an American election thing than a Dems thing though.

But ultimately her candidacy is perfectly legal. Lets be honest, there is a slight chance she could be on the ticket as the sitting President anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,276 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Not backing down in the slightest.

To re-iterate the points, which have not been engaged with, except with whataboutery:

Trump has insulted those who served in the armed forces, those who died in service as losers. The man is scum.

If someone presents them as a man's man or is touted that way - then I think it is ok to insult them \ use that as a point against them. They brought that onto the pitch, so it is now fair game.

The reason why that is being pointed out right now is that some people have a deluded notion of Trump as a man's manWhen he has been obsequious toad to dictators, and dodged military combat.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Pretty sure the "word salad" you're referring to is a statement that she reuses that originated from this. It's pretty easy to understand so it's not a great reflection on the reader if it doesn't make sense to them. 😂

"When young children see someone who looks like them running for office, they see themselves and what they can be, unburdened by what has been."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,940 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

Again, there is a difference between taking a moral stand, and weaseling out with excuses.

With a moral reason, you register your disgust/fear of the war. With a weaseling excuse, you don't.

I don't mock any objecting a war, IF they have the cajones to own it. I reserve the right to mock weasels however.

• Advertisement

What's the bets they will keep pretending you haven't explained it to them, so they continue with the bad faith word salad argument?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,162 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Honest question is what Harris is doing legal ?

Honest question, what possible crime do you think she could be committing?

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭sock.rocker*

"They brought that onto the pitch, so it is now fair game."

Mocking people for certain things "because it's fair game" shows true feelings on a topic. When people mock Trump's appearance / weight / dodging the draft etc., they are showing that they hate those things but in polite society, hide those feelings so as to not hurt others.

I certainly hope people on here haven't been mocking Trump's weight in front of their overweight partner.

I certainly hope people on here haven't been mocking Trump's weight in front of their overweight partner.

Jaysus, of all the things one could be concerned about today that is both random and batshít.

As batshít as mocking someone for dodging what is seen as one of the worst and most unjust wars ever?

"Oh but he did it because he was scared! It's ok to mock him!"

Have a read about My Lai and tell me any American soldier deserves to be congratulated for what they did. Tell me that Trump should have joined and been a part of it. It disgusts me that on an Irish forum, the US military is regarded so fủcking highly that people truly believe deep down that Trump was wrong to not risk dying in a pointless war.

• Advertisement

It disgusts me that on an Irish forum

Maybe calm down and log off for a bit so.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,735 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Polite society? What is this drivel.

I must have missed all the posts from you critical of Trump for mocking other people's appearance, weight etc
    The most disgusting slurs being hurled out, lapped up by the MAGA crowd.

Care to dig them out? So does that show your true feelings on the subject, that this is all a pretence?
    Well, where are those posts? In your own time.

There is a saying, "People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones". Trump has made himself fair game by such conduct, and by his deluded narcissism. And the false claims made about him by his cult.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,770 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

It was a misunderstanding on my behalf i thought the party candidate had to be elected in the Primary ,

Seems they don't ,Maybe im missing something but is that not odd in a democracy because you can rig it, put someone in who you know will win party election & get them to cry off "like Joe" & replace them with who you want ?

You also have your competitor on the other ticket putting time & money into a campaign against your man/woman only to change it last minute

I'm not claiming anything just trying to understand it ,

You also have your competitor on the other ticket putting time & money into a campaign against your man/woman only to change it last minute

Trump can blame his buddies in the media for that. It was wall to wall coverage of Biden's decline for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭McFly85

Except it was mocking the idea that he’s a man’s man by pointing out that he dodged the draft, and didn’t do it because of any moral or ethical conviction.

While others were off to war he wasn’t joining them, or leading any protests about how unjust the war is and that young men shouldn’t be wasting their lives on it. Both of those could be considered brave acts.

He dodged the draft on a technicality purely for himself, he didn’t care about how unjust the war was or about any of the men fighting it. Hardly a man’s man.

What? I think you need to go back and read what happened buddy.

What do you mean Over turned?

Bush won initially. It was called early by the TV networks who used the exit polls from Florida to call a Gore win. But it turned out that Bush won it. It was very close though (Bush was ahead by about 100 thousand votes. Tiny in the grand scheme of things) and that triggered an automatic recount. The results of the recount saw the lead narrow to about 1000 or so votes (You can google if you want exact figures). It was a huge deal because it was so marginal. Gore's team took this to the Florida state court to get a manual recount (which should have happened). Gore's team came out with this speculation that they "found votes". Bush's team made counter claims and it ended up at the Supreme court.

Gore NEVER led. He never "Won" to have anything Over turned.

You saying that was Stolen is just as crazy as what Trump says about 2020. The Left is the EXACT same as the Right. Thanks for proving it over and over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭McFly85

Ultimately Trump spending all of his energy and money criticising his opponent was his choice.

He could have ran on what’s wrong with the administration and what he’ll fix and he’d have no issue with a new candidate. But no, all he knows is how to criticise, mock and outright lie.

Just a matter of delegates and in this case, it actually makes perfect sense to use the running mate. Maybe Trump should try campaigning on his policies rather than weird attack videos? If the GOP suddenly changed their candidate, I'm pretty sure that the Dems wouldn't be threatening to sue them for fraud. 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,629 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Political leaders are replaced all the time once in power after an election. Simon Harris as a very recent example. There's absolutely nothing undemocratic about it, nothing 'rigged' about it.

And the price of switching candiates is that the new candidate has so little time to campaign. This isn't some crafty political stroke by the Democrats, it's a last-gasp attempt at salvage.

What seems odds is that you think "in a democracy" has anything to do with it.

It is the internal selection process of a party.

The primaries are an expression of preference. There is nothing virtuous about how it is run. It is all about the end goal of coming up with a candidate.

History of previous Democratic primaries suggests if Harris as a VP has run in regular primaries, she would have won - as Mondale, Gore, Biden did before her.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,712 ✭✭✭✭Penn

She's probably even less of a fan of idiots* taking snippets of what she's saying out of context

https://www.reuters.com/article/world/fact-checkkamala-harris-quote-onyoung-peoplebeingstupidismissing-contex-idUSKBN25G1I4/

*by "idiots", I mean the person whose tweet you posted, not you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,001 ✭✭✭Christy42

For all of Kamala's supposed unpopularity the Republicans are finding it hard to get anything to stick.

They tried her laugh, she didn't give birth but these are not serious points. The Trump Vance combo relies on focussing on the opposition flaws, they know that if anyone looks at them critically they won't get votes but if they can't get something to stick on Harris soon the #both sides nonsense won't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

I don’t remember boards being this ridiculous before, seems to have changed since the last election

Its easy to misunderstand how it works. People calling anyone else out for misunderstanding, are just being mean spirited.

Basically the Dems have rules around this stuff. I read somewhere that it has happened before (70's I think). Was the guys name Eagletonn or something like that. He had some health condition and had to be replaced. Ultimately a candidate can be chosen by the primaries. But at any stage after that, if they need to step down, the primaries are ignored. So even if someone was a close second, the results are ignored. The DNC decides who to put forward.

In all situations however the winner of the Primaries is only the expected nominee. But the DNC has authority to choose whoever they want if the situation arises. The Primaries is just a way of finding who is the most popular candidate for the party. No different to using X factor to decide the nominee

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Well, there was riot of sorts - The Brooks Brother Riot organised by GOP ratf*cker in chief Roger Stone to block the recount.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭highpitcheric

We cant be in a military coalition with the u.s.

Theyre completely divided internally and unstable, its a mystery what they might do next.

EU and UN are where we have some say, and thats where we do our part.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Is that where the word salad thing came from? I just thought they mistyped and it was a crack at Bidens mistakes when he went off script, something himself and Trump both do. Trump gets away with it because at this point, he is just a caricature. Reminds me of the sports presenters on RTE who started unintentionally copying the traits Après Match made fun of, even though they rarely done it before. Trump now looks like he is mimicking his impersonators from SNL/youtube.

Anyone who thinks "When young children see someone who looks like them running for office, they see themselves and what they can be, unburdened by what has been" is a word salad, really needs to go back to national school. This said, it is a nice phrase, basically a more eloquent version of the sports ads "if you can see it, you can be it". Won't make a jot of difference to most of voting age in reality but still a nice phrase.

• Advertisement

I am shocked, are you saying this is another scenario of misrepresentation. The funny thing is @Snake Plisken is perfectly capable of checking if there was a contextual issue but intentionally chooses to misrepresent? Same as failing to understand the unburdened line.

Advertisement