Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

CircleK Chargers

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Gotta say, I'm beginning to change my opinion of Circle K based on the number of chargers they seem to be installing

A bunch seems to have popped up around Dublin recently, usually a pair of 300kW units per site, sometimes more

Not exactly the greatest hubs ever, but it's nice to see chargers becoming ubiquitous rather than having to hunt them down

The price certainly leaves a bit to be desired at 69c/kWh but if they keep rolling out HPCs at their current rate then I'll forgive them

A couple of years ago I was betting on Applegreen but their rollout seems to have stalled pretty badly, particularly along the motorways

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,038 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

CircleK were always the brand that I thought would do well with the EV charging transition, largely based on them being a convenience store company that used the Norwegian market to try out different models of operation.

Applegreen may have been quicker in Ireland, but as a global operator they're pretty new to the market.

Clonsaugh today, doesn't look like any progress in the past month. Bit strange the groundworks aren't even finished, parking there is usually busy so I'd have thought they'd speed run the new spaces

• Registered Users Posts: 9,349 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I 100% agree that the price is high, no doubt. But it's more or less on par with Easygo, 70c, Applegreen, 68c, Ionity, 70c, and until recent price drops, ESB who were charging 68c.

The private companies will charge whatever the market will bear. If the market decides charging needs to get cheaper, that's what will happen. If we collectively want to see prices drop then be sure to use these chargers as sparingly as possible, only ever fill enough to get you back home or to a cheaper charger.

With price put to one side, I have to give credit where it's due as well. The chargers are very easy to use. Nice long cables, they seem reliable, quick tap on the credit card to get started, tap again to finish, receipt displayed on the screen after a charge, not sure if there's a pre-auth as payment seems fairly instant.

Also I don't think I've seen a station that can charge less than 4 cars at a time and Chademo support means that regardless of the EV you drive you can confidently go there to fill up regardless of the car being used

My biggest concern with them was the seeming lack of commitment. I remember a while back they were promising something like 30 chargers which seemed a bit lackluster

I feel like they're already exceeding that goal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭MarkN

They seem to be ridiculously slow at getting their chargers up and running. ESB networks have done their end and whoever they use as their own contractors in CircleK seem to be the ones holding it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭spudwiser

At my local Circle K, the units themselves seemed to be in place with 2 weeks. What seemed to hold it up was the substation, which seemed to take another 2 months or so. Would that be the ESB that handle that side of things?

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭crl84

How do you know ESB networks have done their end?

I'm involved in fit-outs of new commercial buildings, and by far the biggest obstacle to the buildings opening is ESBN. Currently have several industrial units open for 6+ months running solely on diesel generators, because ESBN still haven't done their necessary works, despite being informed over 2 years previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭MarkN

they’re no saints by any means but I have been reliably told their end is done, certainly in Clonshaugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Exiled Rebel

Delete

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Exiled Rebel

Have they returned to site to install the meter? That's the final element of esbn's scope of work. Once that's in then it's down to the manufacturer of the charger to turn up to commission.

For such simple projects there's an awful lot of stakeholders, suppliers & contractors involved. You can be sure it's one of them that's holding the show up. circle k are losing out on revenue every day that goes by, they wouldn't want their chargers to be offline longer than necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Mr Q

I would say it is most often the fault of the ESBN.

They held up a solar PV project for six months where I work while we waited on them to do some paperwork. There was zero infrastructure changes needed, charged almost 8k for some documents.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭obi604

anyone know if the CircleK chargers at the Cork Road in Waterford city are live.

No charges on Plugshare, last update from May says they aren't active yet

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭tlaavtech

Still covered up on Friday.

I used Circle K chargers for the first time today in the M9 services near Carlow

Have to say, I was pretty impressed in general. Rolled up and all 6 chargers were free, plugged in, tapped my debit card and a few button presses and off we go

Ramped up to 100kW fairly quickly, charged for about 10 mins up to 45% then finished up and left

I like that you need to tap your card again to unlock the screen so someone can't come along and accidentally stop your charging session

They took a €25 deposit on my card and it'd be nice if they were a bit quicker about refunding it, still haven't gotten it back.

The price is also pretty steep of course, but if that's what it takes to have 6 high power chargers available then I'll suck it up and pay

The 70c price on a 3:1 ratio works out at €2.10/L of petrol equivalent. Yes, it's expensive for sure but given the high costs of installing high powered chargers I can understand it. Not sure how Lidl (50c) or Tesla (42c) do it mind….

I assume that the supermarket chargers piggyback on the shops existing grid connection, so there isn't much upgrades needed

They're also generally installing cheaper equipment, those 300kW units favoured by Circle K are over €100k each AFAIK

I guess that feeds down into the price

Sure but then the slower supermarket chargers don't make as much money so it's swings and roundabouts really

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,038 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Between the three companies you've mentioned, one of them is using charging to sell cars, one is using charging to get customers on-site to sell groceries, and finally CircleK is using charging to sell energy to customers and doesn't want to lose the business model it previously had of selling energy in the form of liquid fuels to customers. They're just as motivated as Lidl to get people on-site and into their high-priced convenience store.

The future for CircleK and other fuel operators is service centres which offer a few options, the small petrol stations with newspapers and sweets won't be long for this world.

• Advertisement

I think it's telling that a few years ago Circle K started buying Londis stores and replacing them with their own branding

Not petrol station shops, just regular newsagents. Westmoreland Street was the first I noticed

Kind of tells you where the money in the business is. The petrol was always a hook to try and sell the more profitable items in the shop, charging is likely the same. It can't lose money but I doubt they're making a lot of money either

I do wonder how long that'll survive. Certainly I wasn't enamoured with the shop on the M9. Food from Camille was decent, and there's McDonald's for the picky eaters. No play area for kids and nothing to do in the vicinity, you wouldn't want to spend more than 20 mins in the place

And unlikely that many of them are selling at a loss

Plenty of businesses that sell one product at break even pricing just to sell something more profitable

Cinemas barely make anything on the movie tickets, but turn a big profit on food and drink

The entire printer industry is based on selling cheap printers and expensive proprietary cartridges (buy an ink tank printer and never look back)

Petrol stations make more money off coffees than a 50l sale of diesel

The chargers don't need to make money, they just don't need to lose money. The price includes the electricity plus the infrastructure, service and maintenance costs

Probably the only exception is Tesla, pretty sure Tesla owners pay for most of the infrastructure and service costs and other drivers mostly pay for the electricity

I'd be surprised if they weren't profiting at 70c, might take a while to make back the build costs I'll admit, although the same could be said for petrol and diesel

Tesla build their own chargers at their factory in New York and use them worldwide, there's economies to scale happening there before you ever install anything which helps as well. Ionity are owned by 3 or 4 car manufacturers so in theory should be cheaper than Tesla in that regard. The network was originally built for the Model S and X cars so profits from them likely went into the network but that day is long gone in Ireland at least

I think Circle K make more profit from an EV charging than from a coffee. I'd say it's just a case that they can charge 70c/kWh so no motivation to charge less

Update on Clonsaugh, looks like the ground works are mostly done. A lot of the fencing got removed so people are starting to use it as a parking space (spot the van on the left)

The pathway around the chargers hasn't been done, pretty sure they're required to install one based on the planning application

The chargers are covered except for one, but all fenced off. Cabinet is installed, so maybe they're waiting on grid connection to be done

I dunno, they're undercutting most of their competition (Ionity, Applegreen and Maxol) and generally installing more capable charging equipment

Maxol and Applegreen don't have the same financial reserves as a big multinational like Circle K, so presumably they can't afford to lose money on charging

I don't think they've a huge profit margin on charging, otherwise they'd be starting to compete more on price

Ionity might be subsidised by their owners, but they've been pretty clear that they're trying to run a profitable business. The former VW CEO was also complaining that they wanted to invest more but the partners weren't willing to put in more cash, hence why they were shopping around for investors a few years ago

Anyway, back to Circle K, they definitely have buying power and probably don't rent parking spaces from themselves, so there's definitely some savings there. However they seem to be aiming higher per site which will add upfront cost

Despite this they've set their price just below the others. They're obviously trying to give the appearance of value for the least cost, but I also don't think they're a massive profit margin they can afford to cut into

I think the next couple of years will be interesting to see with more chargers along the main routes they might start trying to compete with each other

Despite this they've set their price just below the others

They're on par or more expensive than others, they're 70c, Ecars are 59c, Tesla 64c, AG 68c, they're on par with easygo and ionity mind... You do make a good argument to have them cheaper than others mind

Advertisement