Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sinn Fein and how do they form a government dilemma

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,827 ✭✭✭blackwhite

You accused another poster of stereotyping everyone who lives in a deprived are as being "far right" when they never said anything of the sort.

Disgusting false accusation to throw at someone

• Registered Users Posts: 68,927 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Well, I await the poster's clarification. If I was wrong, no problem withdrawing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,540 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

The poster didn’t say it in the first place, that in itself shows that you are irrefutably wrong saying he/she did.

The poster was specifically answering a post I made about 'chasing votes' referencing the far right vote.

He said 'but they are chasing votes'.

Again, representing those who elected you is not 'chasing a vote' it is in fact fulfilling your mandate.

The poster needs to clarify.

You accused the poster of stereotyping by branding people in under resourced areas as far right, the poster did no such thing.

There is obstinate, and there is obstinate to the point of ridicule, you are reaching the threshold of the latter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,940 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/sinn-fein-puts-cost-of-its-migration-plans-at-50m-after-disastrous-interview/a1888619657.html

When you are in a hole, the first thing to do is to stop digging. SF and their supporters need to realise that.

We now have some costings. Let us have a look at them.

"Tripling IPO staff “over the term of government” would cost €32m and tripling IPAT resources would cost €18m, Sinn Féin said."

So €32m over the term of government, which is the phrase that Sinn Fein have used. The term of government is usually five years, so that means the extra 800 staff will cost €6.4m a year. I had to check this a couple of times on my calculator as I was shocked by the result, but that means that Sinn Fein will pay these 800 staff the brilliant salary of €8,000 each. Wow.

Now maybe Donnacha O'Laoghaire who supplied the figures to the SF Press Office, or the researcher who did the work, or the SF Press Office or someone else in SF is really really incompetent, and they actually meant to say "€32m a year over the term of government". Now this works out at a salary of €40,000 each, which appears more reasonable. However, as this would include employers PRSI, we have to deflate this amount by around 9%, meaning that the salary available is only €36,700. According to the June 2024 Civil Service Pay Circular, a Clerical Officer after 5 years will be earning €34,830. Add in some travel and subsistence to travel to the various immigration centres, a laptop, phone and other sundries, and you might, just might, be able to hire 800 Clerical Officers at €32m a year (rather than the €32m over the term of government).

Now, this only further demonstrates the level of ignorance and incompetence within Sinn Fein. Clerical Officers don't make any decisions on immigration applicants. Executive Officers make those decisions, they also do the inspections of immigration centres and housing. Their salary after 5 years would be around €45,000 before you add on the office costs, the employers PRSI, the travel and subsistence etc., as well as the costs of those who manage them.

Going back to the first thing I said in this post, SF should stop digging while in a hole. It didn't take me long to figure out their numbers are laughable, it won't take others long either.

As for their supporters, they love going down rabbit holes all the time, so I doubt that they will stop digging.

P.S. Now that the interview is being widely reported as disastorous, will that be quietly accepted?

The poster has made previous stereotyping comments that I am not able to ignore,

The residents destabilise their communities themselves

That is classic stereotyping, the poster of course should have said 'some residents'

It is up to the poster to clarify what they meant this time.

No, it is up to the accuser to support the accusation. It is clear for all to read that what you accused the poster of, far right stereotyping, is not contained in the text you quoted.

You are wrong, you know you are wrong, the poster can point to the text you quoted, to affirm that they did not say what you accused them of.

Francie, you are making a fool of yourself, take a breathe, own what you posted, admit you are wrong, then move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭pureza

You said 2 posts up that SF aren't chasing the far right vote

How is what they are doing not abandoning voters,traditionally core SF who have followed pyed piper style, the flag usurpers down the garden path after being offered a false promise rage machine ?

Thats Kamikaze behaviour for a party,if you ask me

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Butson

Just listened back to that interview - jesus, car crash is right.

I'd be no fan of Boucher-Hayes but they were all very reasonable questions and I didn't detect any "tone".

Mary Lou and Sinn Fein coming across like cry babies.

• Advertisement

If the poster clarifies and I am wrong, I have no issue withdrawing what I said.
    The poster has form as shown by a direct quote from them with stereotyping a community.

That is all I am saying to you on this. Let the poster clarify.

You cannot choose who votes for you.
    You can choose to support a stance or not support it.
    It is clear, despite the salivating here that they are not chasing those on the far right who may have voted for them before.

That is something I would support in any party.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,940 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

They don't have to chase that vote, the dog-whistling they are currently engaged in, will be sufficient.

Clarification is contained in the post you quoted, it contains no mention to far right stereotyping. That clear, unambiguous fact, is all you need to be proved wrong.

The stand you are taking on this is easily discounted, you are being ridiculous.

No interest in disuading them from the new error of their ways then?

I'd have thought it an easier path than trying to attract wealthier voters

Oh and of course you can choose who votes for you and doesn't it seem a lot of traditionsl SF voters hoodwinked by the flag usurpers are being abandoned?

Let them off is the new strategy?

Doesn't stand scrutiny to be honest.
    The Far Right have come out against this policy even harder than those who were salivating about them turning to the far right since their poll numbers dropped.
    Their policy is as PHB and others have said, the same as the governments. The difference as MLMD claimed (remains to be seen if she is correct) would be that SF intend to actually do as they say.

No interest in disuading them from the new error of their ways then?

Back in January MLMD called the far right out and said they 'are not republicans', has criticised and condemned their activity in Coolock and elsewhere and has received an overt death threat as a result.

Are you for real here Pureza?

Does anyone get the sense that SF know what they are saying, what they stand for, what they will do and how they will do it? To me, their message to voters is befuddled, they have put forward no credible policies on housing, emigration, health, living costs etc, despite having the best part of two years to come up with clear policies before the upcoming election. To be losing substantial levels of voter support, despite all the weaknesses of the existing Government, is an indictment of how poor SF leadership is.

Saying they don’t chase voters is not credible, all parties understand that voter support is fundamental to both getting elected, and putting their policies into effect. To say a political party is not interested in gaining new voters is akin to saying people aren’t interested in breathing oxygen.

So they're making statements about the far right? What are they doing to dissuade traditional Republican core working class voters from being led down the garden path pyed piper style on one issue by the flag usurpers was my question,nothing it seems ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

I personally don’t think they are courting the very small far-right. The problem they have is that their traditional voter base isn’t for immigration. Most of them won’t take to the streets or commit arson attacks, but they feel SF have let them down. SF will continue to harden their position on immigration. This will cause huge friction within the party between the pragmatists and the studenty sorts with their No Pasarán bios. They will lose them to the likes of PBP.

Growing up pains and county hurling for SF. The era of being all things to all people with a populist nationalist slant is over.

• Advertisement

They are criticising those 'flag usurpers'.
    Here she is specifically talking about them.

Mary Lou McDonald has criticised the use of nationalist symbols and language by the far-right in Ireland, saying they are “not republicans”.The Sinn Féin president was speaking to the Business Post as part of a Christmas interview. Asked what her views were on the far-right co-opting the Irish flag and nationalist language in its campaign against immigration, McDonald said such individuals and groups did not represent true Irish nationalists

https://www.businesspost.ie/news/they-are-not-republicans-mary-lou-mcdonald-calls-out-far-rights-use-of-tricolour-and-nationalis/

Everyone's position on immigration has 'hardened' and will for the foreseeable continue to do so.
    😁 I'm old enough to remember those who objected in any way to unlimited access for Ukrainians or foresaw problems. being labelled 'far right' and 'Putinists'.
    Harris immediately hardened the governments position on taking office though.

But what are they doing about traditional SF voters who see them as their saviour de jour instead of SF,yesterdays document sans figures,sans what to do with everyone ssying no,sans what to do with 100's a week coming in whilst waiting to hear No from communities and IPAS was dreadfully poor

See the dilemma,SF has that other parties chasing the wealthier vote don't have ?

You seem to want the party run the way you would. Best of luck with that.
    You ask what they are doing about 'flag usurpers' you get a backed up answer of what they have said, now you pivot to something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭JVince

add in pension costs, and of course the obligatory sick pay of the civil service and then the office accommodation.

Minimum cost would be north of 100m a year.

And what training / expertise will these new additions have.

No wonder MLMD was in a frustrated mood. She was taking BS and she knew even a half brained twit would work that out

• Registered Users Posts: 14,655 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

We can all make up our own minds what was happening there tbh.

Which is what?

Entertain us.

Dobson, Claire Byrne and PBH have all been at the receiving end of a whinge from MLMD.

MLMD also has a defamation case against RTE.

Simply put, these guys are a danger to Ireland, as they do not and cannot stand any criticism or investigation.

Maybe thats why MLMD was in such a foul mood. Maybe more such hit pieces are due to come out on her and her corrupt organisation.

@FrancieBrady doing trojan work on behalf of SF and MLMD here, it must be said.

• Advertisement

Are you deliberately avoiding my question

Let me ask more clearly,I thought it was already

Have SF abandoned working class voters that were always theirs or are they going to rescue them from the flag usurpers ?

Are they not capabable of assuaging their fears with something other than yesterdays pass leaving cert essay ?

Advertisement