Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭CuriousCucumber

Yeah, the packing up concerns my wife too

We managed to fit everything in this year, in a saloon, with no roofbox, so realistically (hopefully) it wont take an age to pack up. It's definitely a negative to moving between sites, but sure, we'll try it once, and it's too much hassle, that will the end of it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

Just returned from a 3 week trip to Vendée.

Drove my 16 Rav4 with roof box on top, left plenty of bootspace for wine and we also bought a bike for our son while we were there which fit in too.

2 full weeks in camping le Jard in La Tranche sur Mer. Excellent site. Great facilities and ideal for us with a 2 and 4 year old. Very fresh, seems to have undergone a big revamp in the last few years.

Stayed in Domaine des Ormes near St Malo for a few nights on the way back. Very outdoors oriented but very good. Huge indoor pool dome complex was excellent.

Arrived home to a 45 euro speeding fine from Normandie, which I got for 99km/h in a 90. No complaints, but was surprised they had the access to the records. Just beware

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭Heroditas

That fine arrived very efficiently!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,614 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I was thinking the same, arrived faster than my Crit Air cert 😂

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

The fine wad picked up on the way from Cherbourg heading south so it was 3 weeks ago. Still, faster than the RSA can manage from what I hear

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Back from two weeks in Brittany and already planning next year! We went on the Amorique from Cork to Roscoff as we were going to Les Menhirs. We had two two-berth cabins on the way out (5 of us in total) and they were far more spacious than the four berth on our return trip on the Santona. Amorique was fine as a ship - reminded me of the Stena Nordica. Good bit of entertainment on it for the kids. We ate in the Ferryman in Ringaskiddy before we got on the ship - food was just alright, but playground across the road was nice for the kids to stretch the legs.

We booked Les Menhirs via Eurocamp. Mobile was a Comfort XL which was not XL in my opinion. Very poor on storage as in no storage at all, especially in the kitchen/living room end, which sucks when you bring as much dry food as we do. Main bedroom - the mattress was too small for the frame & you couldn't actually get dressed unless you sat on the bed because there was no space between the bed and the wall! But it was clean & TG for the decking as it meant no meals inside. Site was nice though; outdoor pool was good, indoor pool was a bit chaotic and unbelievably warm. They also won't allow floaties in the outdoor pool, which disappointed our crew. Entertainment was good too, with music and quizes in the evening. Location is the best bit of it though as it's literally a 5 min walk to the beach & Carnac is a nice town with a bit of buzz about it.

We spent a week in Les Ormes then. Third time on the site, first time with Kelair. They were great, lovely mobile (plenty of storage), great pitch, kids enjoyed the kids club too. They've pedestrianised the centre of Les Ormes which is great; but the down side is that they've put a new road in that goes around the back of the dome and comes out on the hill & the speed of the traffic on it is mental. They've signs up for 10km/hour but it's literally a race track. Other than that, it's a great site; our kids are all under 10 so they love it.

Trying to plan next year - would love to tie in Disney somehow, but not sure…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

>>Main complaint is the price of food, I guess UF figured out they've a captive audience. 

Firstly, peoples perception of food value depends on where they are coming from (i.e. someone who visits London or Paris, or Copenhagen flippin airport, regularly might have a different concept of whats expensive than someone who would only ever eat out in a Supermac when on the road), but yea, €20 for IF mains is a tad on the high side for what you get . https://www.irishferries.com/globalassets/ships/ulysses/menu/2024-ulysses-boylans-menu.pdf

Still, on Irish ferries theres meal deals which are be good value and far far cheaper than going ala karte. For our upcoming irish ferries crossing we have booked the family of 4 Meal Deal for €53.95 - 2 Adult Mains & 2 Kids meals & 4 desserts & Tea/Coffee or juice. We also went for the brekkie deal which is even better value, Family of 4 Breakfast Deal for €40 - 2 Adult Full Irish or Healthy Breakfast & 2 Kids Breakfast & Tea or Coffee or Juice. For both meals it allows us to do touristy stuff before departure/ can make good progress on the other side, so was happy to book the options as the alternative would be no cheaper if doing a land based restaurant in IRL or FRA .

»Very poor on storage as in no storage at all, especially in the kitchen/living room end, which sucks when you bring as much dry food as we do.

Yep, mobile homes can be a disaster on storage which is why we bring our dry stuff in one of those Ikea plastic tubs and we just leave that near the sink or somewhere like that should there be a lack of storage. Packing cubes are another thing we really like for that sort of a trip, as it fits around any stuff like the ikea boxes in the boot and when in the camper van/ caravan everyone has their own personal cube with knicks and socks rather than rummaging in a case

I'd agree that compared to some airports the food is generally better value. The main difference is that when flying you can usually get away with something cheaper, or just not eating in the airport entirely

It's a bit trickier on the ferry given you'll want at least two meals. We weren't really prepared for it this time and when you add up popcorn for the cinema, snacks, dinner and breakfast the next morning it gets expensive quickly

We'll be better prepared next time, lots of snacks and some mini cereals so we're just buying dinner and tea/coffee on the ferry

This is particularly important when travelling with kids who have a habit of eating three bites of dinner and declaring themselves full only to demand 5 snacks and hour later 😫

The meal deals are pretty good value, you can get dinner and dessert for under €60. They didn't seem to be offering them back in June unfortunately

Yeah we went with the Ultimate holiday home this year, my thinking that we could go down to the Premium ones next year to save some cash

Think we'll be sticking to the Ultimate ones however, the homes are fine but they get worn out pretty quickly

Ours had a broken lock on the bathroom door, the gas oven went on strike more often than the average French worker and the water pressure in the shower was effectively a dribble

To be clear, we had a great time and are planning on going again next year, but it was a bit of an eye opener to what is considered a "good" mobile home

The Classic isn't great. We had gone with a Premium in 2022 and 2023 in La Garangeoire and Des Menhirs and they were good.

Still streets behind what Siblu appear to offer though and for roughly the same price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

just a quick question on the final cleaning in France (probably booking with eurocamp who are looking for 70euro) how fussy are they on the cleaning?
    Has anyone just done it themselves and how did ye get on? We would leave the place clean anyhow so probably just need to polish the windows beyond what we normally do

Only asking now as suddenly a dozen places have availability for the weekend after next in Brittany / Normandy but don’t fancy paying the cleaning fee for just 3 nights stay

We have always previously cleaned the place ourselves. Bit of hot water, cloth, sweep and then mop the floor. You'll be grand.

Eurocamp aren't as fussy re cleaning as other sites appear to be. They'll still come and clean afterwards but threaten/keep a cleaning charge because people can be absolute animals if they are able to leave a place without having to clean it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Depends also on your need, I'd get the cleaning if I'm under pressure to leave early as it frees up your time to pack and go, otherwise if i was departing late, then id DIY it.

But even staying 3 days with kids you can end up with quite the mess - sand in showers, handprints on windows and sun-cream smudges on cushions... I'd be getting the cleaning added.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭CuriousCucumber

We swept the floors, cleaned all the plates and cutlery, etc.

Basically left it in the same shape as we found it. Didnt need to mop the floors or anything, but they had never gotten too dirty.

Just try to return the place in the same state as it was when you arrived

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Jack0125

Just back from Pin Parasol where we were for 15 nights. (having being for 10 nights last year)

Beautifully campsite. Really well laid out. The site is located beside a lake with pathways around it so good for walking/running and you can rent pedalos/kayaks on it

Great pool area and slides that the kids loved. New changing rooms and would always get 1 sun lounger there no matter how busy. I will say weather was below average for Vendee for time of year. Tended to be overcast and low 20's but we got to the pool everyday. We didnt even get the chance to use the other pool/SPA area much so that will be a bonus when we go back next year.

The shop is great for bread, fresh milk and croissants. For a regular supermarket it was a 10 min drive. Really need a car at this campsite.

They have revolutionized the entertainment space since last year by building a stage and have a covered seated area opposite. Was great for parents to sit up, watch the evening entertainment and have a drink.

The seat restaurant/bar area was new and looks great. However if there is one fault in this campsite, its the food. Very standard pizza, burgers, chips. We barely used it. But we were happy going to restaurants off site and bbqing.

Bicycle hire is 55euro a week.

Beach was 15 mins drive away. No of car parks along the cost with toilets at some of them and then walk over the sand dune to the beach.

Big game changer this years stay was we discovered Le Grand Defi (outdoor activity park). Aqua park/laser/paintball/walking on those elevated tree obstacles/pony treking. We visited on 4 different days. Its close, 15 mins. Did a day trip to La Rochelle and the aquarium and walked around the harbour which was very good.

Even though our kids are 6,8,11, they seem have outgrown kids club…find it boring!

Overall we really enjoyed it, even with average weather, so much so we have already booked 2025.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Any restaurant recommendations?

Understand your comments about the food onsite. €18 for a burger. Yikes.

That sounds pretty standard pricing for a restaurant tbh

Main issue I've always had with eating out is that price isn't necessarily an indicator of quality. I've had some pretty amazing meals and some extremely average ones for around €20

I actually found the self catering side of the holiday to be a bit more relaxing. I wouldn't say it involved a lot of cuisine, frozen dinners mostly and trying to figure out how a gas oven works (and failing a lot). However at least I'm not spending €15 for nuggets and chips for the kids again only for them to go on hunger strike

I also found it made eating out feel a bit more special when we did it, even though it was often for crepes or ice creams rather than a meal

It's €18 for a takeaway burger.

The pizzas here are average at best and I wouldnt say they're reasonably priced.

Hmm, okay yeah that's a bit steep

My point was more that the only place you can say the food quality definitely matches the price is McDonald's or a Michelin Star restaurant. Everything else just gets lumped into the middle

I found the food in Les Ormes to be pretty average as well, pizza restaurant was good enough, but not great

I'd definitely be looking off-site for eating out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Always take photos of presses, drawers etc when you arrive so you know where everything goes for when you are leaving

We're thinking of flying and car hire for next year. Something different

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭peter4918

genuine question, why would you need to take pictures of presses and drawers? There’s no penalty for moving stuff around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭browne_rob5

Pizza's were very poor alright. Base wasn't fully cooked on my one. They did have a daily specials on some days that we tried and they were quite good.

The restaurant by the lake was very nice though and reasonably priced. We ate more here than the campsite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

So there's nothing missing and we're a bit OCD about leaving the place as we found it

American themed bar is 8-10 mins drive. Very simple menu of burgers for 12 euro and nuggets for kids at 6.50 i think. But on a Friday and satuirday night they do Cote de beouf/beef rib….600grams or 1.2kg for 55euro (worth it to share) https://www.american-road-saloon.fr/bar-restaurant-americain/#formulaire-du-midi

Hot work, 15 mins drive - chinese buffet - total price for 2 adults and 3 kids with 2 glasses of wine and 1 coke was €91euro. It wasnt top class dining but the buffet style was a change of scenery and they had scooped ice cream and individual desserts on that

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g1056015-d7260855-Reviews-Hot_Wok-Saint_Gilles_Croix_de_Vie_Vendee_Pays_de_la_Loire.html

This place for moules and frites is well known at the campsite, You could walk to it.

https://www.tripadvisor.ie/Restaurant_Review-g3915466-d6538638-Reviews-Auberge_du_Jaunay-La_Chapelle_Hermier_Vendee_Pays_de_la_Loire.html

Really wanted to get to this place but ran out of time. Next year maybe

https://restaurant-le-cabanon.fr/

Hope it some help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭airy fairy

Has anyone every had any good experiences with getting decent gluten free food in France, anywhere in France?

Another few weeks away, and more stresses with regards to getting gluten free food, and to a lesser extent, vegetarian. We have both in the family. Even getting food from restaurants that are labelled is impossible. Asking servers if they've something sans gluten/ble is like asking them for a kidney.

Would we be better served just driving and looking at staying towards the east next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Deeman83

Yes, its not too bad. Sometimes the chef would come out and ask exact details of the issue which was a bit dramatic but they were trying to be very helpful.

Galettes are a good choice as they use buck wheat and contain no Gluten.

Post edited by Deeman83 on

Cheers. Might check them out.

Auberge de Jaunay is nice alright.

We normally wander in towards St GCdV or SJdM (bit further from Chapelle Hermier). Parking in StGCdV stresses me out though 😂

We did go into the promenade at St GCdV for a walk this year and the restaurant options looked very good. Broad menu choices and nice setting.

Not a lot of parking about alright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭airy fairy

Yes, Galettes out the daughters ears, those, and a hit and miss salads which inevitably has croutons even when you ask for it sans. It's head wrecking, especially when it's a teary teen! I thought restaurants throughout Europe were to label foods and highlight allergens. Seems to be the usual arrogance with the french, they will not conform!

Can anyone recommend campsites towards Paris, but not specifically a stopping point for DLP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 DilemmaDan

Not helpful for you now but a friend has two kids who need to eat gluten free. They had similar issues in France a few years ago but last year found Spain great in terms of selection and accommodating gluten free. Might be an option in future!

Advertisement