Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Ireland Senior Hurling Championship 2024 (Munster And Leinster Championships,Liam McCarthy Cup)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,183 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

No, good defending is still there its just Cork are hopeless at it when it does go bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

• Registered Users Posts: 26,175 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Every action has an equal and opposite reaction.

Will changing the rule really lead to less bad decisions. I think it will lead to equal or more bad decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Nothing will change without the trialing of new rules. The handpass is a joke at the moment. Something needs to be done. Personally, the existing rule is perfect. But throwing has become a blight in no small part due to crowd abuse for slowing the game down due to giving frees for throwing the ball. Within the existent rule not showing a definite striking action is a free, never mind a throw. The rule has been lost. The rules surrounding a striking action needs to become more definite and reintroduce the skills involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

I believe the GAA should change how championship games are reffed. The showpiece of the hurling year was ruined by the worst refereeing performance I have witnessed ever in an AI final.

Murphy’s incompetent performance needs to be looked at and changes made to avoid such a shitshow reoccurring.

I would propose two refs - the speed of the game is too much for a middle aged man. The knock Murphy took plus extra time may have been factors in his performance. Who decides if the ref is too injured or tired to continue? The ref himself?

Also, his team of umpires and linesmen did him no favours. The 65 missed and the pulled jersey missed should have been spotted by the nearby umpires also. It’s unfathomable that the whole team of officials could not see what was happening so close to them.

Umpires and linesmen must be chosen from the inter county referees panel.

Improvements must be made because last Sunday was not good enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭oppiuy

Id counter that by saying it was one of the best refereeing performance of all time, that and John Keenan's in the Munster final 2 years ago.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

It is my opinion that his poor decision making (on the day) clearly affected the result of the game. This is not a position you want your AI ref to be in.

Looking forward, we wouldn’t like next year’s ref to make as many errors would we?

Clare were the better team and had they converted their chances, the last puck of the ball wouldn't have mattered either way. How many errors did you see and how does that compare to any other game. I think i heard that he got 95% right. That's some going and would get him next final aswell barring Limerick are in it.

Murphy got three stonewall decisions wrong.

The 65 not given, the 2nd card not given to McInerney, the jersey pull at the end.

He made plenty of other mistakes in my opinion - but these were not as clear cut as those listed above so we won’t dwell on them.

If Murphy had got some of the stonewall decisions correct then Cork would’ve got at least a draw.

2024 is over now - can we make improvements to help referees to get more decisions right in the future? Or maybe we should be happy with the same ol’ shite?

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭jeff bingham

Yep best refereeing performance in a long time. The moaning about refs on Boards is something else.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Montys return

Also thought Murphy had a very good game. Called 4 Jersey pulls I think against Clare, if it was any of the other ones missed nobody would be talking about it.

A pity for him to be honest. I can understand Cork feeling aggrieved they didn't get that free all the same but equally don't buy that they didn't get the break with another decision over the course of the game to even it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭caddy16

The free that Cork got directly leading to the McInerney incident when Shanagher caught the ball, did you think that was a free for Cork?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭MacDanger

The 65 was the main one for me, don't know how the umpires missed it.

I thought he McInerny incident was a black in real time but when you look at the replay, the Cork player goes down very very easily and the ball had gotten away from him anyway so I don't think it's that bad of a decision - the ref has to be 100% sure to make that decision.

This is the jersey pull at the end, it's very hard to spot in real time even when you know it's coming so I'd give him some leeway on that also:

I only saw one replay of that incident and I think it could’ve gone either way.

I’m not talking about the countless decisions that were 50/50. I’m talking about stonewall decisions.

If there was a VAR in hurling would the result have been different? I think so

And the game would be dead as a spectacle. This game would have been totally different but end result the exact same

Obviously the spectacle is more important for some people, like you, than the correct outcome.

For others, we would like correct decisions to be made by the officials.

You're right You always here people saying i hope its a shite, boring match as long as the ref gets his decisions 100%. It was 100% the correct outcome on Sunday

And you would make zero changes going forward?

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

Not allowing quick puckouts after the opposition scored was 1 good thing that happened last Sunday. Hopefully more refs will continue this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭caddy16

It wasn't a 50/50 decision in my eyes - Shanagher won the ball despite being fouled and the free was given the other way.

Your opinion of stonewall, my opinion and the refs might all be different - that doesn't make your opinion correct.

None of the Cork players looked for a free at the end and they were standing equally as close as the referee, as numerous people have pointed out in real time it's not that easy to see everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

Zero. I a big soccer fan, travel to London to follow spurs quite a bit. Since VAR came in my love of the game has dwindled. The passion in the crowds has gone. You cant celebrate a goal or decision. And still its not 100% right. Look at Hawk eye in Thurles, it takes ages for the point decision. Croke ad is pretty quick thou. Mistakes are part of life, players managers and refs, its part of sport and they tend to even out. You win some you lose some but i think everyone has the accept that refs will make mistakes as will players. Its the best game in the world, no tinkering needed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭flasher0030

The Shanagher incident was clearly not a free against Aaron Shanagher. So it is clear-cut. Couldn't believe when I watched it back.

I thought the black card issue was cleared up - that the person fouled had to be in possession of the ball. And the Cork player clearly wasn't. Or maybe that is not the rule.

• Administrators Posts: 53,843 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

In all sports the laws / rules are never completely black and white, they are open to interpretation by any given referee. I think the most you can hope for is they get the overwhelming majority of decisions correct. You also want them to be consistent with their decisions throughout the game, and not suddenly change their interpretation mid-game. In this case, I think the ref was fine.

I think in this particular instance, I think what's causing the complaints is that the free flowing, looser interpretation of the rules does not suit Cork, who don't have the cynicism or physicality in them to get stuck in. The referees interpretation happened to highlight one of the limitations of the Cork team, ultimately there was nothing stopping Cork pushing the boundaries themselves.

But it's the same in all sports, great teams need to be able to adapt to what's in front of them. Cork will probably need to develop a bit of an edge to their game, a little bit of nastiness, if they want to go to the next step. You are not going to get to play the game the way you want to play it in every single match.

The 65 wasn’t a looser interpretation of the rules. The pulled jersey wasn’t a looser interpretation of the rules.

Also, the McInerney free/penalty was definitely a foul (ref gave it) and if it was a foul it was definitely a second yellow. He would’ve missed extra time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭I says

I thought Murphy did a fair job reffing the game. Missed one or two calls but that’s sport. The jersey pull on o Flynn is so so he lost no momentum from it and got his shot off and I doubt Murphy had the correct angle to see it. Umpires aren’t going to make a big call because the crowd will lash them out of it. Look at the wide/65 in the Waterford game. Linesmen are refs and they’re not going to make a colleague look good, I’m referring back to a Barry Kelly interview years ago.
    And as for Cork whinging about the 65 not given all I can say is what comes around goes around. Karma for the one Galway didn’t get in the 1990 final against Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Bot1

That was a free to Cork.

Shanagher was holding Downey's hurley.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭Seadin

He got some crucial decisions wrong which were the winning or losing of that game. He made too many errors that cost Cork an All Ireland. Cork scored 34 points. 35 scores in total. Clare got 29 points and 32 scores in total. Goals win games and Clare got more than Cork but the result could have easily gone to Cork as well. The free in the end on O Flynn, the chop down on Fitzgibbon, the yellow card that wasn't given, the 65 not given and the foul on Horgan all blatantly obvious misses and that referee should never again ref an intercounty game full stop. He was also unfit and overweight. If he is ever involved in a Cork game again the players and manager should simply refuse to have him there and object.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Bot1

Why are quick puckouts such a problem for you?

Advertisement