Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options
1423424425426427429»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Village87

I agree a lot with this. TJ is the best ever but we need to play without TJ, spare him for the latter stages of the Leinster and All Ireland next year if he is back and see can new leaders emerge, he is doing so much work and taking away so much attention other players are benefitting. I want to see how good Eoin Cody and Adrian Mullen are without him. We need new leaders and youngsters to emerge and Tj in his pure brilliance is actually slowing down a re build.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Marrooned

we don’t often agree but your spot on there. Shefflin didn’t emerge till DJ went, TJ didn’t emerge till Shefflin went.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Nickindublin

Correct. We need the other players to step up. Cody and Mullen wont be able to hide as much if TJ isnt there. Management will also not be able to hide too. How many times hasTJ got us out of jail? The managemnt team will need to create a new way to play.

anyone think about a free taker.I was just thinking of Harry Shine but first he would need to make the fifteen, I know he’s a Boro man but I saw in the O Byrne cup against O Loughlins and I was impressed with him from frees and open play. He has a few critics of which I’d be one at times but he’s still only 20 years of age, I’ll leave it with ye. I don’t want to hear anyone slating the chap just try and give honest criticism or suggest other players who could fill in as free taker.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭davidx40

Does anyone know has the Bord na Nog championship draws taken place , it was meant to happen a few weeks ago but nothing is up on the website

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Nedflanders02

Yeah I think free taking could be an issue, most of the best free takers at club level wouldn't be good enough to contribute enough from play at intercounty. Cody took some during the league and wasn't bad, maybe thats the bit of extra responsibility he needs to bring the best out of him, it might also help him move around the forward positions and not be stuck in the corner! Hopefully Shine has a good club campaign, he's another next year who will just need loads of game time to let him get used to IC hurling, this year has probably been the first in a long time where he hasn't been dogged with injuries, hopefully we'll see the best of him over the next few months. Hopefully Billy Drennan might come good next year too, he has the talent if he can get his confidence back up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

They have up to minor but as you say not on the website yet and to my knowledge no hard dates set which is criminal if true. It'll be very interesting to see how they schedule the minor championship now that these lads can play adult. Once you get past the first week of September the opportunity for midweek games are gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,544 ✭✭✭kk.man

Thing with the league as opposed to years past you need to stay up or else county board will be down a few bob, that's pressure for management.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Martin567

DJ played with Kilkenny until 2005.

By then Henry was 26, had played 7 years senior for Kilkenny and had three All Ireland medals.

It's stretching things somewhat to say he only emerged after that.

no but he took on the mantle of leader. As the old saying goes the king is dead long live the king.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

So looking at the panel this year I would be saying the following should retire or consider their position for various reasons.

Wally, Buckley, Fogarty, R Reid, TJ, E Murphy, Conor Delaney, Tommy Walsh. I would say there is little doubt the first 3 will go. The next three it's harder to know lots of rumour and small talk, I think TJ should walk and not chase numbers. I was always a huge fan of Delaney, I don't think he ever got a fair crack of the whip and neither Cody then or Lyng now seem to trust him. Likewise with Tommy, I think he's a good hurler but I think he's head must be melted and I struggle to see him bouncing back to his best. I think if he was coming through as a hurler instead of Jackie Tyrrell at that time he could have had a similar career, I think the game has moved on and he doesn't seem to suit the modern style or at least how we've been trying to deal with it. I would think he'll stay but I think most would agree we need a new corner back.

My biggest gripe with Lyng was that he didn't trust the young lads and keep them in games when things got tough. They were either subbed or were dropped the next day. Lads are saying Clare had older players too, as did Cork and Limerick. The difference is they all gave young players, good chances over the last few years and weren't quick to discard them when things got a bit tough. Those young lads were all playing well this year. I think the problem is now we need to have a big turnover of players but we've given the young players very little exposure over the last few years.

I think Kilkenny could struggle mightily with so many green young lads starting next year. Not because their not good enough but for any young lad starting out at intercounty you want to have plenty of experienced heads around you so you can ease into it. Unfortunately because of the way the last 2-3 years have been handled player wise, instead of a transition (I fear we'll end up) with a bump in the road, which if its not managed correctly could easily derail our senior team for a good while (years).

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Nickindublin

Thats a very good analysis. Lyng to me is a poor mans Cody so far. He has very similar traits. Discarding players with the slightest whim and not giving them time. Cody could do it and not be questioned but Derek has not earned it yet.

I believe we need a complete new approach. I donrt know how Lyng is regarded by the players or what he is. Is he like Cody or is more approachable? IMO we need a different approach both on and off the field by the manager. What worked 10 years ago will not work today. I fear Lyng is being a bit to similar to Cody both on and off the field. Certainly on it not much has changed. I dont know if he stong enough to make or take big decisions. Time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭jimmythesulk

All this talk about how we can improve as a county and nothing being mentioned of the wasteland that is south Kilkenny. Clubs like Piltown, Mooncoin, Slieverue and Kilmacow provide nothing for our senior hurling team and haven't for decades. They may as well be in Waterford the use they are to us. Could the county board not employ a development officer down there and even if it leads to finding a few decent hurlers it can only help out senior hurlers long term.

Advertisement