Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Next door building pergola right up against our fence

Options
  • 25-07-2024 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭

Our neighbour is putting up a pergola running 1 meter above our fence and blocking off sunlight to our patio as well as raised decking which means they look into our garden - is this allowable in Ireland? I can't look out my kitchen window or patio doors any more without seeing them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭rob w

Did they apply for planning?

I doubt it, so for it to be exempt, I think it needs to be less than 3m high and less than 25m2 in area. Look up planning rules on your local council website.

As far as it being on your boundary, as long as it doesn't cross it they can build up to the boundary.

But it might be good to have a word with the neighbours about your concerns and see if you can agree something to protect your privacy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭shnaek

Thanks Rob, that's great. They didn't apply for planning. They are very nice people so I don't want to cause any hassle with them but it is affecting our enjoyment of our own back garden. And I know we don't get much sun in Ireland but we used to enjoy sitting out in whatever sun we managed to get!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Stanford

There is no "right to light" in Irish law but you should have a word if you feel the structure might intrude on your right to privacy to which you are entitled. I'm not sure from your post whether the structure is already in place or yet to be constructed?

Advertisement