Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Global warming

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

indeed.
    You made a point about increasing rates of heart attacks and increased heat.
    I made the point about increasing rates of heart attacks and increased calorie consumption.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,787 ✭✭✭Shoog

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 747 ✭✭✭thatsdaft

You increase our reliance then on hundreds of minerals and elements and ores from even more geopolitically questionable places

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭yagan

You're ago with the Saudi's, in name of protecting the doomster narrative.

I'd rather reduce my exposure to petro wars, but you do you.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Redliketoast

Fact is if Elon started paying scientists to say we need to get off the planet so we need to invest in his rockets, they would sign to his tune.

All scientific theories are open to testing. ALL.

Lets just look at Big Oil. To bring Oil from the ME you need to pay for security, deal with local militia, deal with ME versions of Trumps, and deal with constant wars. That is all aside from the actual logistics and permits to get the oil into their country.

or

So lets look at their alternative. We use wind farms, hydro stations, nuke stations, solar etc. Now we dont have the threats as outlined about. Instead we have an easier way to have a constant supply of electricity without geo politics.

Doesnt the second option sound a lot easier and cheaper? Let me ask this. Has Electricity costs gone up or down despite green energy popping up in western countries? The costs for the company have reduced and the cost for the consumer has gone up.

Look at our recycling in Ireland. We pay private bin companies. We then decide that we want to bring in bring back service. So instead of having a bin in your house, you now have to go to a shop and use a machine which is constantly powered up and uses ink. They claim that this is the environmentally friendly way to do it. The bin company initially charge you. The government then charge you a "deposit" and now the bin company want to put up the initial price to compensate them for no longer profiting from plastic bottles. This is one of many many many "environmentally friendly" schemes that is suppose to save the planet.

As I said, I am not a Global warming denier. It exists. Of course it did. But if we all on Boards decided to hire out a jet and go globe trotting tomorrow, it wouldnt make the slightest difference to the climate. Afterall NASA talks all about global warming while sending rockets into space. But god forbid you want to go on holiday once a year after working your a** off.

• Advertisement

Stop projecting, I didn’t say that, you only make yourself sound like an ***

the Saudis and Russians and other sh1thole regimes can disappear off the face of the earth tommorow and nothing of value would be lost as far as I’m concerned

That doesn’t change my point, renewable tech and the wide range of elements and minerals they require make us more dependent on far flung questionable places not less as we simply neither have these minerals in Ireland nor have the industry for it

The following book goes into in depth look at dozens of minerals and industries needed for renewables

I gave my reasoning on what I said regarding aerosols. I never said we are using more CFC's than the 90's. I said we are using more Aerosols than the 90's. That is fact. CFC's were replaced by alternatives which apparently still cause harm. Albeit "not as harmful". Im sure in 10 or 20 years they will tell us that those are now really dangerous and replace it with a new patent……………. sorry I mean product.

As I said I made my point above. If you want to call it out, work away. But you cant because the maths add up.

20 years ago they told us to start using diesel cars as they were better for the environment. Fact is its actually cheaper to produce diesel than petrol. That is the real reason they told us to start using diesel. Not that it was better for the environment like they claimed.

I mean you dont even have to try hard to see this stuff……………. Nobody hides it

You rebutted my preference for renewables by saying they're only more damaging.

What I've learned from doomsters over the decades is that even when your preference aligns with their narrative they'll still say you're wrong.

Its never about facts with doomsters, it's all about feeling only they can save everyone, a messianic impulse.

I didn’t say they are more damaging, I said your “reduce dependence” argument is bunk as you are replacing one input with hundreds of inputs often from very dodgy places

But now that you brought it up

Yes having to mine hundreds of elements from copper to rare earths whose production is extremely environmentally damaging is bad for environment, and in cases like Cobalt involves slavery

But I see you are not interested in a civilised debate, just another sad old environmentalist with little to no understanding of how modern world works

• Advertisement

I love the idea of renewable energy.

For example I put up Christmas (and even Halloween) light on the outside of the house every year. They are nearly all solar powered. I hope to have them fully solar by next year (I make some changes each year). It makes energy costs cheaper for me. Thats my reasoning for it.

I also have the washing machine and dryer both in the shed. I am hoping that in a couple of years I can install solar panels and storage unit in the shed. This will again reduce my reliance on paid for electricity. I can then look at getting better out door lights that will be powered by the shed.

Water conservation is also a great way to take care of plants and cleaning windows, garden furniture etc.

There are loads of things people can do to be more environmentally friendly but none of the above give companies a bill each week.

I find it insane that the likes of Energia have the cheek to claim they give you 100% green energy yet charge you the same price that other non green energy companies charge.

If we all agreed that we should use renewable energy and water conservation, then there is nothing wrong with it. Thats good. But most* of the Global warming message is put out there with a view to monetisation.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Which part?

So its not cheaper and easier for energy companies to generate renewable energy to crude oil?

The rereturn scheme isnt using more electricity than a regular wheelie bin?

Bin companies are not talking about upping the prices?

NASA dont launch rockets?

Im sorry but when you say "this is some crap", you are saying all of that is crap. All 4 of those statements are correct.

Nothing but fruit and nuts grow on trees.

We live in an interdependent world where without trade we would all live much poorer and restricted lives. There are choices about those trading relationships and every one of them comes with compromises.

We could be far more independent in our renewables if we hadn't decided to outsource most of our manufacturing to cheaper countries in pursuit of margin. That was a choice as well.

Certainly been dependent on a few sources for fossil fuels leaves us incredibly vulnerable to economic collapse as we discovered over the last few years.

Ultimately I don't see you point.

Yeah and that point is not definitive.
    The raised hart rate deaths are more than likely down to poor lifestyle choices and/or unhealthy diets etc.

Actually we used renewables for millennia to grind wheat.

Jaysus 🤣

You linked excess heart deaths down to excess heat.
    Im saying those excess heart deaths could be just as easily attributed to bad diet.

It’s not that hard to understand 🤣

I have only talked about heat related deaths.

• Advertisement

You are welcome to go back to a world without hydrocarbons where slaves and animals were needed for agriculture which employed majority of the population

Hydrocarbons are causing massive environmental degradation threatening our very existence, so no it's not worth just keeping going as we are.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I'm saying that your post is rated up to sound like it contains factual information whereas in reality it is all really just crap designed to further an anti-green agenda! At least have the balls to admit it!

Just because you dont agree with someones view, doesnt mean that something they say cant be true.

As I asked, what part is "some crap"?

Slaves and animals?

I was talking water and wind mills.

You really are off the wall.

I agree, but so does all the mining and processing for everything from lithium to copper to rare earths to cobalt and of course steel, aluminium, glass, concrete and hilariously enough oil based lubricants and paints needed in renewables which don’t grow on trees but require industry which needs often to burn hydrocarbons as there’s no substitute in many processes to create above

Anyways the Green movement has dug itself into a corner and fooked us all over by likes of Greenpeace going on crusade against nuclear power which would have helped avoid most co2 emissions

Yes and your point is daft.
    It can’t be definitely put down to heat.

The analysis cared out by medical authorities have shown an increase in heat related deaths across Europe of 17 per 100,000 (standard medical metrics) over the last decade. It couldn't be clearer than that.

• Advertisement

You are so full of crap.

Expounding about climate change whilst simultaneously pissing on renewables.

Advertisement