Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New bus gates on Bachelors Walk and Aston Quay

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,969 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

A positive start, at least it wasn't rejected outright. I agree with others that enforcement outside of the permitted access is key. I would have thought that ANPR cameras at junctions would be a necessary adjunct to the start date. But who am I kidding?

Will be interesting to see if the doom and gloom predicted by the business (ahem car park) owners will prove correct. I very much doubt it and they may see an upswing in people actually going into town if the journey is not one where you'd need your sandwiches and flask for sitting on the bus in the congestion.

I'm disappointed it's not 24/7 but this decision is better than outright backtracking on the plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭loco_scolo

Lots will abide the rules. It's a very high profile traffic change, and I would expect the guards will police it higher than other junctions. They did so at the start of College Green bus gate.

Lots of people will also ignore it, but it will certainly see a decrease in private cars. There's no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Doc07

Agree good start and glad they held their nerve against the last ditch attempts to kill it. I hope some proper objective data can be gathered to maintain this and possibly even extend the hours beyond 7-7. As a bonus I hope it shows up the Mannix Flynns , Pat Kennys and Conor Faughnans up as the massive twats that they are

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭alentejo

Will they be required to have sign posts advising alternate routes. I.e on Tara street turning left on to Burgh Quay. I suspect lots of drivers who only drive on that section heading west might not have a clue on how to get where they want to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭halfpastneverr

Good news for a change, barring any appeals to ABP or the High Court etc by the car park lobby. Enforcement via camera fines would make total sense, but this is Ireland after all. You could spin it as freeing up scarce Garda traffic resources to police the carnage on our roads too, very easy sell in the current climate but how never. I'll take this positive news for a start.

• Advertisement

Next up, maybe some thought will be given to moving some of the bus stops currently on Bachelor's Walk down to Eden Quay. That section of the quays is just choc a bloc with all sorts of buses, Dublin Bus, Go ahead, long distance, tour buses etc. all unloading onto a rather narrow footpath, together with suitcases and bags from the non commuter buses. Maybe move the long distance down to Eden Quay and leave Bachelor's Walk just for commuter buses? Or vice versa.

The same issue applies to Aston Quay. There are a lot of stops all along nearly to the Hapenny Bridge, and then there's a rinse and repeat at Wellington Quay just a few metres up. However I don't know what they can do about that right at the minute. Worth looking into though, maybe some buses could stop at Burgh Quay now that cars will be gone for the restricted hours anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,127 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I could respond that if he were a friend to your agenda, he would have implemented the measures as they were presented to the City Council.

Rather, he has scaled it back to a mere tokenistic measure. An Irish solution.

As mentioned by others above, without enforcement, it'll just be ignored anyway, the same as the College Green bus gate already is.

And of course, there is the high likelihood of a judicial review challenge to the whole scheme coming from the Dublin City Centre Traders anyway, probably backed by ISME and Retail Excellence Ireland.

And so, though you would never admit it, my zealous little friend, its a hollow enough victory for you today.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,988 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

Delicious petulant tears!

Can I ask why you hate the idea of less traffic choking our small and historic city centre? do you curse the Luas and Dart too? do you also hate the Port Tunnell and long for the days of 100's of artic lorries belching diesel fumes up & down the quays? just find your small minded mindset utterly bizarre and sad.

This is a tiny and much needed victory for sustainable transport in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭cgcsb

That's not what a judicial review is, thos is local authority part 8 powers.

• Advertisement

So the car parks won I suppose they paid off the right folks. Democracy lost, oh well. I'm looking forward to the people power response in any case.

That's another good start. Do you mean ALL the tour buses, and was this in the original plan? Sorry for assuming you will do the research for me, but I didn't know this.

I read it on the Dublin City Council transport plan, maybe it was the original plan and it hasn't been updated yet.

Am i wrong or will everything other than buses, taxis and cyclists be sent up O'Connell street if they drive in that far or does the restriction start before Bachelors Walk?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,732 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Don't know what the big deal is so, you can still get to almost anywhere if you travel into town between 7 and 7, it will just take a bit longer if you don't use public transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,898 ✭✭✭✭L1011

And despite this flim-flam, we can chalk this down as another case of you being absolute certain something wasn't going to happen; and being incredibly, incredibly wrong about it.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,509 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Im a bit confused by this. So travelling from Heuston to Grand Canal Dock what is the actual route now? And same for in reverse?

Yes I agree it's a bit of a mish mash, however if cars want to get down to the docklands or further on that way, they can't go down Eden Quay anymore, which you know about obv. The detours might just put car drivers off doing unnecessary journeys that direction, but if you have to then yes it's all around the houses for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭john boye

If it was always just going to be ignored anyway then why were you so vexed by it?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 The Mathematician

• Advertisement

Google maps gives two routes, Along the Liffey as you would now and without the Liffey it will bring you all around the town, Highlighted Blue

Not sure myself. But what they REALLY want you to do (or others taking that route) is to take the train to Heuston and get one of the C spine buses which stop along there. Sure they'll fly down near enough to GCD with no cars in the way! Not sure if you can get on a train at Heuston that goes to GCD, and if not, that's a bit of a bummer alright. I think the trains bypass Heuston and go under the tunnel and then on to GCD. Could be wrong about that.

So leave the car at home is the message I suppose!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭Daith

This will hopefully improve public transport along the quays...but for buses that use O'Connell St Northbound, will it just add more traffic? Or is the hope traffic evaporation will sort that out

Imagine the chaos if everything is being put up O Connell street and there is a minor crash or a truck was to break down, but I would think a majority will find alternative routes.

Turning left onto OCS isn't much use to the vast majority of trips so they won't do it. It's only of any use to people wanting to get to arnotts car park. The problem with that is, we're going to have 3m times half a KM of some of the busiest stretch of street in Ireland dedicated entirely to a few dozen cars heading to a private car park, while the rest of us stand on a 60cm footpath.

Could you imagine a congestion charge applying if you only use OCS to access the car park. That'd be great, let them pay for the privilege of using a few metre stretch of the main street in the capital. C'mon DCC!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭Daith

Yeah fair enough. Tbh O'Connell St Northbound is chaotic enough just with the Luas and Buses anyway.

Thats not a bad shout at all, but implement it from the bus gates entrance.
    Charge similar rates as the port tunnel do and traffic will soon reduce.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,509 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Thanks for that. Its actually to pearse street more so and travelling from Lucan. Unfortunately I've to bring the car as I do a car share every day and collect people along the way for whom a bus isn't a viable option.

Post edited by antodeco on

• Advertisement

They can't even get ANPR fine cameras sorted out, so a congestion charge is pie in the sky at this point anyway. The hysteria of (slightly) hindering access to car parks has led to this fudge from 24/7 to 7-7 and allowing the turns at Bachelors Walk & OCB, can you imagine Pat Kenny and co's reaction to a congestion charge!

Was Parliament St supposed to be pedestrianised with these changes initially? or is that tied in with the College Green plaza plan?

Advertisement