Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Top 10% of earners contribute 2/3 of income tax take

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭babyducklings1

And we don’t get fantastic value or services at all for it. Just price increases !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭NSAman

different horses for courses I guess. Judging by the figures 78k is top 10%, so it’s double.

It depends on where you live in the states. 150k in New York is nothing, 150k in rural America is massive.

While I absolutely agree many Americans live below the poverty line, which is shocking in the “richest” country in the world, those that make money above the 120k mark on average (location dependent) live well.

Personally, that salary of 78k I would find difficult, hence I have admiration for those that can survive on it and less. It’s not easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭combat14

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

The big issue I see with this is that all this is data is from PAYE workers.

It does not include Sole traders or People of own/run limited companies.

There is a black hole in tax/earnings in these places with a lot of them employing "creative" tax accountants and availing of every single loop hole going.

The title should say top 1% of PAYE workers. People who run their own businesses are not PAYE workers and are the richest of all.

I know of multiple people who have:
    Bought houses through their companies.
    Renovated their house trough their companies.
    Paid themselves consultancy fees for consulting in their own companies.
    Have theirs kids on the books even though they don't work there.
    Cars
    Holidays
    Lunches
    Dinners
    etc
    All of them have been audited by the Tax man and have found nothing.

We all know people that do it. They have the most money and pay very little tax relative to a similarly earning PAYE worker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,920 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

And that's why competency based interviews aren't fit for purpose.

Sorry, off-topic, I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,276 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

buying a house through a company is a pretty silly thing to do.

Only if you're caught…

They bought it as an investment property and "Rent it" out to their kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭thatsdaft

Hence why the CSO survey is much more interesting

And puts to 10% at 78K

I trust CSO over a rag like Irish Times

investment property maybe not as much thought it was PPR, for that its poor tax planning. But i take your point there is plenty of scope for that kind of thing in a private business, even just having the whole family on the payroll.

• Advertisement

the Irish times are just publishing the findings of the group that wrote the report.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Why is the Irish Times a rag?

Hasn't it been already clarified here that the cso figures are based on individuals, but the report that the Irish Times published about uses tax units (so a single person OR a married couple are treated the same)

No, the point is it was never an investment property.
    The "Rent" on the contract is maybe €100 p/m, so the company effectively writes that off as a loss.

I know another lad who left a heap of steel out in the elements for a few years to write it off as a loss.

Ireland is VERY friendly to companies and business and so long as people aren't absolutely taking the p*$$, the tax man is mostly prepared to turn a blind eye to it.

I get what you're saying but I'd also take their "stats" with a pinch of salt. As statistic is just a view port of data that the person creating the statistical view wants you to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,766 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

False.

This data includes all earners: workers who pay tax through PAYE, self-employed, directors, pensioners, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,637 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

I'd say there aren't terribly many $100k+ jobs in the cheap CoL rust belt areas, but I take your core point. There are probably parts of the US I'd think about living if it doubled my salary (though the wife would probably disagree).

I don't think you could live a good life on $120k in say New York, San Francisco, San Jose or Seattle, certainly not as a family. You could probably live very well in some city in Alabama or Tennessee.....but could you hack all the country music?

I'd say it is way more difficult to adjust having a salary way above €78k and having a drop to that level than it would be to live on it having never earned more. I couldn't run my household on that, but that's because I have expenses that were predicated on my income. If I was earning say €78k, I wouldn't have taken on the same expenses. I've certainly lived (and indeed thrived and had a good time) at points of my life where my salary was substantially lower than that (even adjusted for inflation), I just had to think an awful lot more about my expenditure and had fewer luxuries.

When there are people actually struggling to get by on minimum wage jobs, I'd say it is a bit patronising to call living on €78k, 'surviving'. I'm sure someone earning a couple of million a year would say the same about how difficult it must be to 'survive' at my income level though; they likely have commitments to monthly bills that are already above my entire income.

You've copied and pasted this 3 times now…
    We get it…

That table is not reflective of all the Tax that "goes missing". People who's main income comes via the PAYE system don't have the facility to dodge tax the way people who own businesses do. Every cat and Dog in the street knows this.

Like if you run your own business and take a salary of say €60,000, but you have a a house, a car and heap of food and other investments made through the company that directly or indirectly benefit you, you're supposed to pay BIK on that (Or in some cases not do it at all). But we all know there is a huge number of people that are doing it and paying no tax (BIK or otherwise) on it.

In this scenario, that person falls into the Bottom 80% yet their lifestyle is reflective of someone in the Top 5% or even 1%.

That person is a 1% or 5% earner, but does not take their share of the tax burden, that is the point I was trying to make.

• Advertisement

It doesn’t work that way

Try it,

but when Revenue come down on top of you like a ton of bricks and you waste time and money on audits up to your ears from your rear, don’t come crying here

Your post basically comes down to “some people allegedly break law and get away with it”

But best of luck to anyone trying this strategy

The only department more competent than CSO this state has is Revenue

And with them you are “guilty until you prove your innocence”

I'm a PAYE worker…

These are just people/businesses I know/am aware of doing this.

If you're running you're own business and have the tax in order I commend you for that.

And to be clear, Revenue have audited these people and have unable to find anything.

I ran a business for over dozen years before going back to PAYE

Revenue are one department you don’t want to endup on wrong side of and actually have competent and intelligent people employed

and if you know someone breaking the law report them to Gardai and or Revenue

I take you're point completely

I know people that have been badly caught too, their professional careers are effectively over now. They owe so much money in back taxes and fines that the have to hand over their Credit Card receipts, bank statements, etc to revenue every X months. And if they're caught spending money on anything frivolous (Instead of paying the tax and fines) they get punished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭NSAman

not patronising anyone, we’ve all been there and lived on less. To me it was surviving, like you said, budgeting for everything means no spontaneity. Yet many people manage under these circumstances and I have the height of respect for them.

No I couldn’t live with country music. It drives me nuts. Hence, the D&B, EDM is always loud in the car, kids (all grown) think I’m an embarrassment.😀

I know that wealth disparity is a growing trend, but that 78k for me is still a low bar for the top 10% in Ireland. Supposedly a rising tide raises all boats, that doesn’t seem to be the case in a country that is top 3 for “wealthiest” in the world. So the progressive tax system we have all been told would be fairer on workers, is not distributing that wealth anymore evenly than any other system. What’s the solution? I have no idea…that’s well above my pay-grade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭downtheroad

That's completely incorrect. There is a tax free lump sum, a lump sum that can be taxed at 20%, and then annual income from a pension is taxed at marginal rates so it is extremely straightforward to avoid paying the higher rate of income tax on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,400 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Agreed. I know of one family business where one parent is taking a FTE salary for working a two-day week, the child is employed on a full-time basis while studying in a different city and the parent lost it with the child who got a part-time job in the second city!!

The often referred to Garda and urae couple, only need to earn €51k each to be in the top 10%.

completely incorrect?

we are referring to people who are going to hit the pension threshold here, they will be paying higher rates of income tax on an element of their pension.

Exactly, completely incorrect. They get 40% tax relief on their pension investments and do not pay anywhere near 40% on their pension withdrawals.

It is a huge net win. That poster said it was a deferral of the tax payment, which it most definitely is not.

Surely a lower bar for the top 10% of earners is a demonstration that it IS distributing the wealth more evenly than a system where the top 10% of earners are on multiples of the median salary?

As for solutions, I think that in any system of taxation, you'll have a substantial number of people that think whatever group they are in should pay less. As much as I'd like to pay less tax, from a more objective viewpoint I'm not convinced there's a problem that needs to be fixed here at all.

Looking at GINI coefficients, before tax we are ranked 32nd for wealth inequality among OECD countries, after tax we are 15th. We go from having very comparable wealth inequality to the UK and the US before tax to substantially less so after tax.

You are making assumptions about taxes not changing for what most people might be decades before they retire (need to live that long too)

Not only taxes will change but they only ever go up in this country with new and innovative ways to tax us

So yes pensions at best defer taxes downtheroad

I would bet my entire pension that I will not pay 40% of it away in tax, neutralising the tax relief I get on pension investments.

We constantly hear about a ticking time bomb for pensions. No government in their right mind will want to discourage people from private pension investment, by making the tax relief non existent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Have taxes for people earning over 36k not effectively reduced in the last 2 budgets?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,965 ✭✭✭blackwhite

I know someone who, within the last 12 months, got an interview in PwC off the back of a referral from a very senior partner.

The manager & director conducting the interview were told in no uncertain terms to judge the candidate on their merits and ignore any connections that they might be aware of.

They did a good interview and were offered the role, but within a few months it was apparent that they weren't up to scratch and they were shown the door before probation ended. No special treatment - and probably more scrutiny than most if anything else. Most underperforming trainees are allowed see out the training contract before being moved on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,920 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

There is a problem to be fixed, imo, and it's the extremely low threshold at which people enter the higher tax bracket. We either need to raise that ceiling substantially or implement another tax band of 30%-ish for middle earners. Someone earning 42 grand should not be in the same tax bracket (minor PRSI differences aside) as someone on 100k. Other than that, I broadly agree with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭greyday

Until the last two budgets, the tax band limits did not rise with inflation which in effect meant you paid more tax and went into higher tax band sooner than you should, they have been doing that for years.

+100%, fully agree.

Look at this chart by Gerard Brady of IBEC, about the SRCOP vs wages:

everyone thinks people earning more than them should pay more tax, until they start earning more…

The net effective tax rate at 42k is very low, 18% or so, at 100k its 36% at 150k its 41% and at 300k its 46%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭DataDude

There’s an issue with our tax system in that whilst it’s true that people on €42k have a very very reasonable effective tax rate, their marginal rates (where labour decisions like overtime/upskilling etc. focus) are extremely high. This is necessary to make up for the fact rates stay low (or zero) for far too long.

Comparing ourselves globally (which feels sensible) would suggest to me we need to make 3 core changes:

1. Stop increasing tax credits & increase lower rates of USC (e.g. the one which went from 2% to 0.5%) to increase the effective tax rates just slightly at the lower end of the income curve…and also widen our tax base
    2. Use proceeds of the above to significantly increase the income level at which people start paying 48%/52% marginal taxes
    3. Create a third band but at actual higher levels of income (€150k-€250k+) to ensure higher earners don’t disproportionally benefit from change 2.

Combined these would give us a much smoother tax curve like other countries

Rather than the current ‘curve’:

0% effective rates for ages and then a rocket ship up as you exceed €40k…and then flat lines again because someone on €200k pays essentially the same effective rate as €2m.

Glad to hear it, that is absolutely the way things should be done. As I said, my experience wasn't with PWC; happy to put the hands up and say so.

There’s an issue with our tax system in that whilst it’s true that people on €42k have a very very reasonable effective tax rate, their marginal rates (where labour decisions like overtime/upskilling etc. focus) are extremely high. This is necessary to make up for the fact rates stay low (or zero) for far too long.

+1000%

The effective rates are not too high.

The marginal rates are crazy high, at too low incomes.

People on below median wages face a 48.5% marginal direct tax rate = crazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Musicrules

Oh no, these high earners will all leave the state and we'll lose all their tax payments. Whatever shall we do? All these talented people earning far more than they deserve.

Usually it's faceless people that are used as an example. They spent years in education and worked their way to the top blah blah. Let's look at a real life example. Ryan Turbrity worked hard and made it in RTÉ, earning a million at one stage. Was he worth a million? Not a chance. He was finally ousted and left the state.

Has RTÉ come crashing down? Has the Late Late Show been cancelled? No, life went on without him. It's the same with the faceless people some use as an example of who might leave the state.

Let them leave, theres loads of people who can replace them. The faceless people are the ones pushing up inflation let's not forget. Some people are comfortable living in a state where the top earners are earning many multiples more than those at the bottom. They play the poor mouth but they know how easy they have it.

Not 1 cent of income tax is paid on the first €18,750 of income earned by an individual (in 2024).

A married couple with one earner and children won't pay any income tax on the first €37,125 that the working spouse earns.

Not 1 cent of USC is paid if your income is less than €13,000.

For all the hatred of USC, it is nigh on impossible to avoid, compared to income tax which has plenty of tax reliefs and credits that can be claimed to reduce it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭DataDude

Yeah all those talented surgeons heading for other countries. F them. Who needs em. Joe from the pub is ready to stand in to replace them.

A lot of the higher earners have track records which are taken into account by the companies setting their wages, they help Irelands reputation in the business world which in turn generates more jobs, this let them leave attitude will cost us far more in the long run than what we would get in tax by punishing them for getting to the top end of their field.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Quoting 1 celeb example but ignoring the thousands of MNC & private sector workers earning 6 figures is your oversight here.

Its been pointed out that this small group are paying the vast majority of income tax, yet you think there will be no impact if they leave the country...

Hopefully you arent an accountant.

Or here's a mad idea. If they want to act like children and throw a strop and leave because they have to pay a bit of tax on their overpaid jobs, then we replace them with qualified people in Ireland or abroad.

Here we go, the state will fall into ruins if these poor people have to pay a bit of tax. Let's get real here. These people won't leave and if they do, they won't find it so easy away from their cushy number and will come crawling back. It's time these people got a wake up call and learned what it's like in the real world.

They are already paying 2/3rds of the total income tax……how much would it take them to pay so you dont have to pay any?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,089 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The spin that the Indo put on it was that the state's tax base is at risk because of the overall proportion of the tax-take which comes from a relatively small number of taxpayers: If only a small number of MNC's moved their high paying execs from Ireland to somewhere else (which could easily happen), then it would have a large negative effect on the overall tax take.

Personally, I still know people who refuse to take overtime, because they have to pay 20% tax on it: they're so used to paying no Income tax on their first 37k (as a couple) that they aren't willing to work more for less. However this means they're not really emotionally invested in how their taxes are used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I've found that it's people who are on the higher band who complain about overtime being taxed. My ex's brother used get double or triple time if he did overtime "but they take half in tax, not worth my while" was his usual comment.

I pay loads in tax! And how come you aren't mentioning that the top 10% earn more than the other 90% combined?

• Advertisement
Advertisement