Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Begging on the Streets of Limerick City

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 William Bell

My general response to them is to point at my headphones and say "I wear these to ignore you"

@ZombieBride, this is good thinking, although I will just point to my headphones and smile maniacally.
    Seriously though, I live in Australia. I have not seen any beggars here, not in Brisbane or Melbourne. I am planning a trip back to Limerick this summer, first time in 10 years and was anticipating a few 'tappers' looking for the price if a pint but my research on this topic leads me to believe organised begging is endemic. All I can say is Great! The reason I have not been back in 10 years is I am barely staying ahead here. The 3 or 4 grand that a trip home costs is very hard to come by. I'm not complaining, I made the decision to move to Aussie in the full knowledge that it's a long way from what WAS my home but no longer is. The last thing I want when I'm back is Romanians with the begging bowl out at every corner. I guess I'll just have to tolerate it.
    Ireland. What a sad place it is these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Buckeye

@ZombieBride, this is good thinking, although I will just point to my headphones and smile maniacally.
    Seriously though, I live in Australia. I have not seen any beggars here, not in Brisbane or Melbourne. I am planning a trip back to Limerick this summer, first time in 10 years and was anticipating a few 'tappers' looking for the price if a pint but my research on this topic leads me to believe organised begging is endemic. All I can say is Great! The reason I have not been back in 10 years is I am barely staying ahead here. The 3 or 4 grand that a trip home costs is very hard to come by. I'm not complaining, I made the decision to move to Aussie in the full knowledge that it's a long way from what WAS my home but no longer is. The last thing I want when I'm back is Romanians with the begging bowl out at every corner. I guess I'll just have to tolerate it.
    Ireland. What a sad place it is these days.

It's not like you can't walk down O'Connell Street without being bothered - most days I don't see anyone out begging - but what I do see does look much more organized than three years ago. I don't give directly to panhandlers anymore, and just make donations to charities that support homeless women & families.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 William Bell

Buckeye wrote: »
    It's not like you can't walk down O'Connell Street without being bothered - most days I don't see anyone out begging
    @Buckeye, just confirmed this talking to a friend in Limerick, he says he doesn't see much of it at the moment, maybe the weather is too bad for it at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Buckeye

@Buckeye, just confirmed this talking to a friend in Limerick, he says he doesn't see much of it at the moment, maybe the weather is too bad for it at the moment.

True, I did see a bit more of it in the summer than I did Oct-Dec.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Trouwe Ier

Well, more than ten years after the last post on this thread (it is now, 24/7/24), I certainly think that the city centre is far more menacing.

A work colleague of mine, who has the bulk of a masonry rest room was felled by two scrotes in Bedford Row a few weeks ago, after they asked him for money and that has really concentrated my mind.

I love travelling by train but the thought of walking out the exit of Colbert Station at any time of the day, let alone after dark is frightening as is the knowledge that there appears to be a "drug house" beside the adjacent 301/303/304A/306 bus stop.

Upper Henry Street, St. Alphonsus Street and O'Curry Street are virtually no-go areas and and if you stand still or are distracted by your phone for more than thirty seconds downtown and you will be tapped.

I do follow the Garda advice not to engage with street beggars and I have survived unscathed but I worry about the effect of this and other anti-social behaviour on "foot fall" and the viability of our city centre, which, since this thread has started, has seen an explosion in the number of tacky shops (phone repairs, vapes, coffee etc.).

What is it going to be like in another eleven years in 2035? I dread to think about it.

What

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,263 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

There is an ongoing public consultation for "street performance and busker byelaws" in which submissions can be made online for free. Perhaps a suggestion could be made that these same rules should apply to beggars as they are in a roundabout way street performers with a very low performance level

On a serious note, however, beggars used to abide by a code that they would generally leave families with young children alone. This has ceased to exist in the last number of years it seems

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭Paddico

Unscathed, frightening, survived ….. This is Limerick not the front line of Ukraine.

Way over the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Souness

Have to agree, while the volume of beggars has increased in recent times, no part of the city centre is off limits. Saying Alphonsus and curry street are virtually no go areas is nuts, I walk through that area daily at all times of day and night and never an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭geotrig

maybe "you're" the problem🤣

only joking obvs !

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭boetstark

Ok I'm going to be called a snowflake or a coward or whatever. But I tell you limerick city is a sh#thole. Begging yes , businesses on cruises street operating a buzzer system yes.

A guy lying on footpath outside Dunnes henry street injecting drugs 5 minutes ago. Spitting distance to garda station but not a bother.

No way this would happen in many other city centres.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭geotrig

You musntnt get out much? Limerick like a tranquil paradise compared to other places

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

He must never have been anywhere near the quays in Dublin!

Limericks issues are no different to any other city really. The problem is the lack of Guards. And that's not something that's in the power of the city to fix. Until the government employ the required amount of Guards, then 'beat' Gardai won't be walking the streets.

At least the new mayor has gotten them to have some presence in the city centre lately. Not enough, but an improvement.

I would safely bet that I have forgotten more places than you have ever visited. But keep the old head in the sand. Part of the problem

I agree that the boardwalk in Dublin is vile, in addition to lots of upper o connell Street.

Still doesn't change the fact limerick is a very small city and this stuff going on within sight of a large garda station. Totally agree with you also that lack of policing allows this crap to happen.

Not a good look though. On a side point. I dropped a work colleague home to city centre Wednesday at approx 215 am. On O Curry street in middle of the road a gang of lads on electric scramblers. Must have been at least 9 or ten , dressed in black with balaclavas. And they weren't deliveroo drivers. No garda to be seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Souness

• Registered Users Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

there’s lots of tappers in Limerick but they’re completely harmless in my opinion, I’d have no concern walking near to Mcgarry house at any time, I live nearby and often do

Advertisement