Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Most Hated Football County?

• 23-07-2024 11:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,615 ✭✭✭

Just thought I'd start a thread on this as I find it interesting and makes a change from all the All-Ireland talk. As many would know here, I talk very highly and fondly of Meath, mainly as they are fallen giants, so have that respect for them. But there was a time I despised them, and I think the whole country did. In the mid-00's Tyrone were disliked, recently Dublin etc. Most kids grow up now wanting to beat the capital etc. But unless my mind is forgoing me, I remember there was a time, when the whole country despised the sight of Meath.

Even the dislike throughout the country for those Dublin or Tyrone teams, pales in comparison to just how hated Meath were at one point. Surely they were the most hated team in GAA history? If you look at Leinster, Offaly, Kildare, Westmeath and particularly Louth, their only goal was to beat Meath. As for Dublin, the GAA had to inject huge money in the county circa 02, "to make GAA popular in the capital", due to how regular the beatings were that Meath were giving them.

You look at Ulster and Cavan despised them. Then you look at the likes of Tyrone and Armagh etc, hated them. Tyrone and Armagh fancied themselves as two physical teams like we came to see, people saying teams in the south were a bit afraid of this. Meath took this as a personal insult, beating them out the gate in 96 and 99, and not by playing football. It was more a case of showing who the real tough lads were.

You go to Munster, and you'd be hard pressed finding a Cork man who disliked Kerry more than Meath in the late 80's/early 90's. Kerry were bitter Meath usurped them. In Connacht, I don't think Galway disliked them, as I don't think Meath ever really got one over on them. As for Mayo, as much as Kerry, Dublin, Tyrone etc have beaten them, there's a certain vintage of Mayo people who hold out an unnatural contempt for Meath.

What the northern teams did in the 00's, "negative football", I suppose Meath were so disliked as they really were the forebearers of this. Using a sweeper, and ultra physical football. Football was an after thought infact, alot of the time. But am i wrong in saying, at one point, there was a contempt and hatred of Meath football that we've never seen before or since?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

This will end well! FWIW been hated is the ultimate compliment, nobody hates a loser.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭Rosita

Did Meath really use a sweeper in the 1980s/1990s? Reading here I always assumed it was essentially still carrying the ball from one end of the parish to the other in those days. A sweeper implies some level of training/tactics. Are you sure?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭leath_dub

I don't think Meath used a sweeper back then. They had defender that knew how to defend (legally and illegally 🙂) and revelled in the role.

They deffo had a "win at all costs" mentality and is whatever it took to get the win. They had superb footballers, though and probably don't get the credit they deserve.

In the 4- game saga Vs Dublin in 1991 they were outplayed in every one of the 4 games but they just refused to lose. It was a scarring experience for Dublin football.

That Meath team under Boylan ruined many a Summer for me but you would have to respect each and every one of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,615 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Meath are often credited with being the forebearers of the "negative northern" style. You could say Tyrone and Armagh learned and took alot from that Meath team and evolved it.

Tbh football was often so messy then I never really noticed them employing a sweeper in the traditional sense, but have read many journalists saying it since, and games I've then looked back on, they tended to have an onus of someone roaming in defence cleaning up alot of breaking balls, different players interchanging. But your right in the sense that maybe they didn't have what became a specific sweeper employed to do that

Don't think they led in any part of the two 96 final games until the end either. They really did drag better and more skillful teams down into the mire, make it lowest common denominator stuff, and then win with experience.

I'd often describe Meath under Boylan as Ireland's greatest ever champions. I don't think we've ever seen another team consistently win when all odds were continually stacked against them. The way they repeatedly pulled games out of the fire, when all seemed lost, over and over, is incredible and unmatched.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,957 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Exactly there was nothing that used to wind me up more than the likes of Kerry/Meath/Tyrone fans analysts/former players used to say things like "Ah the Dubs bring great colour and craic". Knowing full well that the Dublin team would fold when it comes to the crunch.

I honestly don't think there is one particular hated county. As sport is cyclical by it's nature. Plus the 80's Meath and Dublin teams actually became great friends going on golf do's all sorts.

I suppose if I was to think of a rivalry that was close to raw hatred. It would be Cork / Mayo 1980's they did not get on at all.

Edit - Cork/Mayo

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

I used to hate Niall Buckley with a passion, he was that good. But when all is said and done, the respect then grows, and you admire them then. Similar with how I'd view Meath now, nothing but respect.

But Cork Meath had a nasty edge, more so from Cork's point of view. Similar with Mayo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,957 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Yeah it was Mayo/Cork I meant, I got mixed up in my mind thinking of that AI where the Meath player hit the ball and it managed to bounce over the bar after hitting the ground.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Your right though with Cork and Meath. That became very bitter

Advertisement