Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,040 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

Poland has deployed 10,000 troops, thousands of security cameras and a large fence to try and close its border with Belarus.

Thousands get through anyway, mostly I believe in their way to Germany.

I'm not sure what the current situation is but they had been physically turning people back and returning them. Belarus wasn't processing them, only letting them turn around and try again, which of course they did until they eventually got through.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,040 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Waiting lists for absolutely everything in the richest on paper country in the world, it's a disgrace. I checked myself out of hospital recently because I feared for my health

I actually cured myself from permanent spinal chord damage through hard work and private physio. Thehse were going to leave me paralysed until a place was available in rehab in 4 months time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

Do you want to know what is happening to Irish citizens?

I know someone on a salary of €80,000 who was refused a one bed apartment In Dublin. The rent is €1900 per month. They were "declined" after a surveying of their salary. This person is not entitled to HAP and is not entitled to the Ukrainian €800 per month payment (where Ukrainians are also entitled to HAP).

They also pay €25000+ in deductions to the state.

When they attended to see the apartment they were surrounded by foreign nationals.

So the person paying to keep others in rental accommodation is refused as they are told by an Irish estate agent (on behalf of a foreign vulture fund) that they are "declined" and that "we wish you well in your property search".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,867 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Russia is militarising immigration into Europe. Finland, Poland etc recognise this. They will just reef them back over the border.

Found this on Euronews regarding Finland.

"However, they will not allegedly refuse entry to children, disabled people and any migrants deemed by border guards to be in a particularly vulnerable position". Seems fair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭giseva

You have to laugh, a workers taxes paying for someone else's rent, they can't get a property to rent but the recipient of their taxes can.

I will say that's not an AS or Ukrainian only issue and I've heard the HAP argument from both sides, some working full-time and losing out on a property to a HAP recipient, and a HAP recipient losing out on a property because they were on HAP.

I've also heard of a HAP recipient losing out to a Ukrainian in receipt of ARP I think it's called. So in their own country, the state provided assistance wasn't favoured above the state provided assistance for a Ukrainian. The mind boggles.

The problem is, there's not enough accommodation for the people in this country, whether they're employed or not.

But our government tends not to let minor details like that get in the way of their business.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭creeper1

If the situation is what you describe then the migrants will be on social media telling contacts at home not to bother coming.

Here's an article on the Polish border situation.

People finding weak spots in the border and coming through. From the article it's still one of the safest routes into Europe.

https://balkaninsight.com/2024/02/29/poland-fence-in-the-swamp/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭nachouser

Yeah, that never happened. Surveying of their salary? What is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

So still no link.

And still no answer to my Helsinki question

Your credibility is in shreds.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

If you wish to rent you must supply the past three months of payslips, supply past three months of bank accounts, have a landlord reference, photographic identification, preferably have no pets and preferably no requirement for a car parking space.

I can 100% verify the anecdote I gave and I will not have heart bleeding lefties coming on here calling me a liar.

Www.Google.com

Type what you're looking for in the search bar. Took me 30s to get the quote regarding them letting vulnerable people in or children.

Roderics advertising campaign worked wonders. And you with an opposition party telling us we still have to take everybody just in wealthier areas too this entire island is screwed.

Let's be realistic though SF will just lose votes in wealthy areas because the rich don't want this either so unless they do a coalition with FF/FG it's hard to see it happening. Because FFG/Greens aren't going to piss off their rich voter base.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭creeper1

What an indictment.

RTE aren't asking the right questions about this.

Geographic location alone should mean Ireland receives fewest.

Things are getting worse now on the Polish border. More IPAs are coming than ever. A soldier was stabbed to death, allegedly by an IPA and Poland is sending more troops and building a bigger fence.

Unfortunately this is all just playing into Putin's hands. Europe faces greater immigration stresses, and with allegations of violence and Belarusian incursions an armed conflict could be triggered whenever Putin wishes.

Handling immigration properly is hugely important for a variety of reasons. The outrage agendas of the further right groupings can no longer be allowed to control the narrative in Europe or at home.

https://notesfrompoland.com/2024/06/12/the-renewed-poland-belarus-border-crisis-explained/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭nachouser

Fair enough. Personally, I would have used the phrase "turned up" instead of "attended."

If anything it's the anti-immigration advertising campaign 😂

Despite it being quite clear there never actually was an offer of free housing for the world...

You guys keep posting that it's true.

So either you lot never really believed this BS, or the outrage is all that actually matters.

I don't believe it because he's failing miserably. But the word got out there and spread far and wide. People coming here have high expectations and their hopes will be turning to anger.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭giseva

Have you actually read that white paper?

Because if you have, and you can't or refuse to see the connection in the laughable if not worrying rise in the number of AS and AS wannabes here and on the way, you need to give your head a wobble. A good one.

If he wants to be deluded and self-praising in the apparent good he has done in government then he needs to take responsibility for the obvious bad which he has done.

His department has made Ireland seem really attractive to AS and to scammers, and as a result, we're now the go-to country. How people don't get that is beyond me. It's scary that these same people can actually vote.

The words unprepared and unsustainable don't do justice in describing the situation.

Post edited by giseva on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭DaithiMa

Roderic O'Gorman has had four years of handling immigration. How is that working out?

Actually the original story comes from an IT crime correspondent who's gone on record saying they have recordings and transcripts of these meetings.

Let me guess they're fake news too and we should believe the people telling us it's only concerned locals involved in these various violent protests?

I posted the link because it shows just how dangerous and detached from reality elements of, or maybe what's left of, the anti-immigration movement have become.

Planning to target a garda like that is disgusting and terrifying too, knowing what some of these people are capable of trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭engineerws

Compare and contrast what I said and your statement.

Steenson said in his interview that immigrants were the cause of hospital delays.

Even your toned down interpretation is incorrect.

A rate of immigration is not the immigrant. Who controls the rate of immigration?

Steenson never stated the cause but rather the affect of increasing population.

A possible cure to the issue could be increased services in line with population growth , etc

As I said, read my previous comments.

Duplicate

• Registered Users Posts: 19,746 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Jesus Christ. Are you still at this?

This is a quote, from the video. The presenter asked him why the doors were opened up to so many migrants. He responded that the population has gone up and that there was a shortage of hospitals

Eamonn Holmes: "Why were the doors opened up so generously to migrants?"
    Steenson: "Well we've gone from a population of three and a half million to a population of over almost 5 and a half million now, without building any infrastructure for, to, to deal with that. We have a shortage of hospitals, we have a shortage of schools but most particularly we have a shortage of housing"

You're the one who won't let it go.

You don't seem to understand the point I made, I tried to explain it to you but you keep bringing garbage into the conversation that adds nothing.

I thought it was an interesting observation, that's it.

I've no idea why you are being so confrontational, as I said I'm not defending Steenson but pointed out my surprise that his rhetoric was not brought up previously. I also provided you with a paper to help you understand basic hospital dynamics.

Why don't you ask someone what time it is by shouting at them about brexit? That action may help you understand that speaking garbage may not help getting the answer you are looking for.

Who do you think 'controls the rate of immigration'?

We're not North Korea.

Governments can take some measures but at the end of the day no country that you or I would actually want to live in is going to be putting machine guns at the borders, despite the dark fantasies some on this thread have.

For Those profiteering off the fiasco quite well actually! I really hope he doesn't get elevated next time around.

Poland literally have their army defending their border and our EU border from illegal immigrants. After one of them stabbed and killed a polish soldier recently Poland have no made it easier for the soldiers to use their weapons.

Poland is a country I would definitely live in and it's far superior to Ireland in many ways. You can walk around their city centers and feel much safer then Dublin.

Saudi Arabia is another country using weapons to defend their borders. I wouldn't personally work there but many very educated Irish people do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭aziz

Not a hope,come next election,the Green Party will be finished and whoever the next sucker in that ministry will have a lot of cleanup work to do

Advertisement