Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Top 10% of earners contribute 2/3 of income tax take

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Mannesmann

No surprise. The top 10% own 90% of the wealth of the World. In fact the top 1% own half!

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭greyday

The top 10% of PAYE workers do not earn more than the other 90% combined which is why I didn't mention it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I think we are specifically talking about annual income in Ireland here, not wealth and not the entire planet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭DataDude

Your point on the married single income paying no income tax up to €37k is really interesting as it highlights how overly generous tax credits makes the marginal tax curve phase in in such a jarring way…

€0-€12k - 4.5%
    €12k- €25k - 6%

€25k-€37k - 8%
    €37k-€51k - 28%
    €51k-€70k - 48%
    €70k+ - 52%

nothing, nothing, nothing then suddenly go nuclear at median salary.

On your first €50k earned you pay €5,900 in tax.

On your second €50k you pay €25,800 in tax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Musicrules

What's the average yearly wage of the top 10%?

You have made a number of assertions which you seem to think I should provide data for, that is your job to back up your facts.

As I suspected, you're just guessing things. This thread really is nonsense. Imagine people whining about having to pay tax while other workers are struggling to survive in an economy over inflated by those very same people.

Your a spoofer, you confused wealth with income and blame others for calling you out on it, 125k is approximate average salary for top 10%......according to you the other 90% earn less than 12.5k per year.

You're not your. 🤣 At least get that right before throwing out insults. And stop guessing, YOU'RE making a show of yourself.

I have shown you the most up to date numbers available, you have shown nothing in return other than your makey uppey numbers.

For those within the top 10 per cent of earnings, €121,426 was the median earning for male earners and €115,950 was the median earnings for female earners. For those within the top 1 per cent of earnings, the median earnings were €285,672 for men and €277,613 for women.12 Dec 2023

• Advertisement

You have shown nothing and then had to resort to insults because you got your ass handed to you. 'Your' a spoofer. 😂

😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁 it is there in black and white is the post above from the CSO, some day you might make that 10% but it's tough going and bluffing gets found out eventually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭thatsdaft

well the thread took a turn for the childish, pity we can’t tax stupidity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭downtheroad

A lot of people who complain about tax A) don't understand it and B) pay very little of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

So many jobs where overtime isn't available and extra time worked is just part of your salary

oh you’re not the one who came in like a wrecking ball in what was a descent debate with interesting posts

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭CarProblem

Bingo……

Some of the comments on this thread are hilarious. Can someone point out the very high earners with their "cushy numbers" please? And if they're so cushy why don't the begrudgers get one of these cushy numbers

High earners should be burned at the stake; but….. needless to say some of the posters saying such would essentially be saying on other threads only until they're 65 at which point one has magically "paid your dues" and should benefit from the full largess of the state because…. I don't know why but that's what I see on threads about entitlements for pensioners

Most people on the top rate (in my experience) have no real issue with the concept of progressive taxation, however 1) they've an issue with how the money is spent and how little they get back for their taxes 2) they'd feel a lot better about progressive taxes if there weren't hundreds of thousands working and paying absolutely zero 3) Many of them stump up and see the state prioritise welfare recipients over contributing working people

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Jonathan2712

Here is a real world example. I am lucky enough to fall in to the higher end of the income spectrum (I won't share details so no need to ask). I grew up and was educated in the UK, so the Irish state hadn't spent a penny on me before I came here seven years ago. I pay for private medial insurance, so again the state hasn't had to pay for me, and my kids all go to private schools so another saving for the state. My job exists in Ireland only because I choose to live here, if I leave Ireland my job follows me, and the company I work for only set up an entity here because I wanted to move here. Current income tax levels are at the top end of what I feel is acceptable (last year my at source deductions were >100k). If income tax rates were to go up, for example if SF were to come to power, then I would 100% leave. So that's a six figure direct tax loss to the state, that wouldn't be replaced. There are plenty of people like me, so whilst I agree that those best placed to do so should carry the most burden, I also believe that you should be very careful in pushing it too far. A small number of economically mobile people leaving Ireland would have a disproportionate effect on the tax take, and would likely result in a need to extract more tax from those on lower incomes.

• Advertisement

Same crowd generally think everyone else's job is easy until asked to do it, unfortunately some seem to feel they are entitled to have someone else cough up extra even though they dont pay much themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭I see sheep

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭tohaltuwi

This is so true, there’s that cohort of people we hear about who “leave the figures to my accountant”

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭CarProblem

https://www.azquotes.com/author/13901-Thomas_Sowell/tag/taxes

Thomas Sowell is often good for a quote…….

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Do you or your family ever have need to see a doctor? Mine left for Qatar, and it wasn't for the family friendly atmosphere. You won't be able to replace them with qualified people locally or from overseas, as they will either leave themselves or won't come.

Given your attitude, I doubt you remember when a few years back, France decided to squeeze the rich. In addition to their already high income taxes, they were to pay 1% of the value of their world wide assets annually, in addition, so they left in droves - 42,000 of them. Not only did they stop paying the wealth tax, they stopped paying income tax and VAT. The wealth tax was estimated to have ended up reducing France's tax take by double the amount it was supposed to collect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

The state still pays for your children's teachers. And the roads and general society you get to enjoy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

The tax exiles would still have to pay those taxes for some time I'd assume since they'd be domiciled and ordinarily resident there for several years even after leaving. You can't escape the taxman by simply moving location.

Other countries such as US make it next to impossible to escape taxes via global tax on all US citizens

Which would cost him a fraction of what he is paying in tax if he was to pay privately, no one is saying they dont want to pay a fair share of tax other than it seems those that pay little to no tax, people are saying there is a limit to how much you can squeeze out of people that already pay a high level of tax, remember most of these people didnt just magically end up on the high rate of tax, most worked their way up from the lower rate and are rightly pissed when close to half their income over 42K is taken by the state and more than half if they are lucky enough to earn over 75K.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

But there needs to be a recognition that society has helped people get to the income level people are on. And also that some people are lucky in what job they have (e.g. people have extremely demanding jobs that have been deemed as lower paid - nurses, early years teachers, stuff like that).

We are a society, those who have more should pay more. I don't think this is an extreme belief.

Their taxes are low and kick in at insane thresholds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

It's hilarious how people want to rail against the "rich" and don't realise they are referring to their friends (and colleagues) in more than a few cases.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

Can I ask what the threshold would be for you to do this. Uproot your kids from school and relocate I mean? 10k extra a year. 20k?

Not being antagonistic. Just genuinely curious what would tip you over the edge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

btw just curious, is there an exit tax rate for individuals who decide to leave Ireland permanently, or for the forseeable future?

But they do…….far far more than in a lot of places and very few opportunities for PAYE workers to avoid tax other than pension contributions, one of the tables supplied further up the thread showed people going from 8% to 28% and then up again, this is not gradual, its nuclear as the other poster said, the vast majority want to pay their fair share but having the piss taken out of you is another matter entirely, at least 2.5K per year for Private Healthcare from these so called huge salaries, Pay through the nose for everything and then have those who are benefitting from the subsidies to complain you dont pay enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,089 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Only if they fly out of Knock! (And its still a tenner.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Yes you can. The tax man has no legal recourse to collect taxes from people living in other countries. When you emigrate, that's it. Governments do not enforce foreign laws or tax judgements

The situation with the US is sort of the same. US citizens living abroad are supposed to file tax returns in the US, but they don't pay tax to the US government, they pay those locally in most instances.

Go and leave then! There won't be any tears from us. The state won't collapse. Life will go on. You're far less important than you think you are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,835 ✭✭✭Allinall

Do you ever consider that they could be railing against themselves? I know the greedy people here won't even contemplate that. I'm in a cushy number, all my friends and family are as well. I know how easy we all have it despite our moaning. Think how hard it would be trying to live in this economy on the average wage!

What's the average wage…….seeing as you have already said the top 10% PAYE workers earn more than the other 90% combined🤣

Your lucky your in a cushy number and paid well for it, the vast majority that get good pay dont have it cushy like you unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Here's a real world response.

You are in the privilaged position to be paid multiples of the average person.

You choose to live and work in Ireland for non-finance based reasons, obviously, since our taxes are already 52% for anything over 40k. You are very likely in the vanishingly small minority of people who's employer would go to such lengths to accommodate you.

So why are you here? It's likely because Ireland is better than the alternatives, for whatever reasons.

On the topic of where your tax goes:

It goes to the private schools your children are in. They are part publicly funded.

It goes to the hospitals you may receive your care in. I don't believe there is a single hospital that received no public funds.

It goes to the roads you drive on, the Gardai who provide your security, and the ambulances and fire service who provide your safety.

It will likely go to the universities your children may attend.

It goes to the power, water and data infrastructure that you use daily.

You get a lot of benefits in return for paying taxes. Far more than you would be able to provide yourself privately.

By all means you can move if taxes increase, but don't kid yourself that your situation is so common as to make an appreciable dent in the tax take, and don't kid yourself that you are so mobile as to move anywhere in the world. We all have restrictions on picking up and leaving, whether they are work or family.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Luna84

They are always out to get the little guy like me just because I'm in the top 10% earners. Three months of my tax is probably funding seem junkies habit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

They do yes, and for that I am happy to pay the current 100k+ but what I was trying to say is there is a limit. The average salary in Ireland is around 45k, on that you would pay around 9.5k in direct taxes, or if you make 25k, you would be a net tax recipient. I certainly don't get more than 10 times more enjoyment out of the roads than most other people! But again, I'm okay with the idea that higher salaries pay more tax, and the current system does that. We pay a percentage, so the more you earn the more you pay, but push it up any further and it'll become punitive. At that point people will leave. And in order to replace the tax loss on 10 people making e300k each (1.4m tax) you would need to create almost 150 average paid jobs. Is it relay worth doing that? I wouldn't have thought so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Luna84

Typical response from a guy who hasn't two cents to rub together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

It's difficult to be precise. Introducing a 45% rate would probably mean I would move once the kids are off at university, whereas introducing a 50% rate would probably result in moving within a year. My kids have lived in a few countries now, and have managed relocations well. I don't desperately want to leave, and to reiterate, I pay my taxes now and accept the rate that they are at. But there are limits to how much you can push more and more of the tax burned on to a small group, to subsides every one else. I get that increasing taxes on the majority is politically difficult, and taxing the 'rich' won't loose many votes, but it will in the long term fail if pushed too far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Very well said.

The golden goose is already being ravaged for income tax.

If you're going to try and squeeze even more euro out of her, don't be surprised when she takes flight in response.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

There are a lot of people on 6 figures in MNCs that can move. And they can move with ease.

If enough of them move, the companies themselves struggle to attract talent and they move their base.

These people are already giving over half of the majority of their salary to the tax man, whilst many around them contribute zero.

We do well enough from them already & no need to demonise and further tax them until they cant justify staying in the country any longer.

I didn't say I was important, and I didn't say I was about to leave. But I think you have nicely summed up the issue here, so thank you. The issue is that in places like the US, if you do well for yourself its conisdered a good thing and people are please. In Ireland (and the UK to be fair) people get very bitter about it.

If I were ever to leave, you are right, the state won't collapse, life will go on, and frankly very few people would even notice. But if even 10% of those earning over 200k were to leave there would be a tenable impact.

With that all said, I guess I'll stop posting now. This has gone where you would expect it to go. Everyone seems to dislike the idea that anyone else should make more than they do!

I seem to have miss the quote reference, this was in response to Musicrules

'Go and leave then! There won't be any tears from us. The state won't collapse. Life will go on. You're far less important than you think you are.'

• Advertisement

You should disregard the poor ua brigade on the thread, its become typical for a minority paying 8% of their income to the state to complain about those paying 52% of their income, 70% would not enough for some of them.

Advertisement