Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vice President Kamala Harris vs Donald Trump 2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Indeed, I can't wait for the cackling fits followed by insightful comments such as :

"….talking about the significance of the passage of time, right, the significance of the passage of time. So, when you think about it, there is great significance to the passage of time in terms of what we need to do to lay these wires. what we need to do to create these jobs. And there is such great significance to the passage of time when we think about a day in the life of our children."

Utter clown, at least Joe had the dementia as an excuse..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,855 ✭✭✭✭briany

In a close race, Trump can't afford to rally any large groups of women against him and there's too much chance for 'crazy' to be spun as a dog whistle for saying she's capricious or unstable because she's a woman. Trump's running mate, Peter Thiel's boy, already put his foot in it with that silly 'cat lady' comment, which obviously won't play well. So long as Harris doesn't harp on with, 'I'm a woman! Yay me!' and lets the Trump campaign rope a dope themselves with weird backhanded attacks on her sex, that'll only hurt them and help her.

Trump will stick with 'Lyin' Kamala' for now, but that's only because he has not yet found a bespoke nickname which he thinks lands.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,314 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Barack and Michelle Obama endorse Kamala Harris for president

• Registered Users Posts: 33,424 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Thats only relevant if the entire state votes one way or the other.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Meanwhile the guy who goes on rants about sharks. Harris was an accomplished prosecutor so eh, Trump is gonna struggle. It's a little bit telling that the Trump supporters seem to be somewhat riled and trying to portray her as an idiot when she very clearly isn't.

Now let's see how much her reputation bumps in the next few weeks. I'd suspect posters will start getting progressively more annoyed. 😂

Also Obama just endorsed Harris.

https://www.irishtimes.com/world/us/2024/07/26/barack-obama-endorses-kamala-harris-as-democratic-nominee-for-us-president/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

Which they do in large democratic states such as Texas, new York etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭Economics101

Then you might have a gripe with RTE: nothing to do with the Harris campaign, apart from being a diversion

• Registered Users Posts: 30,319 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Can't wait for your insightful comments on Trump drivelling nonsense about sharks and electrocution.

You see it yet? You seem bothered about word salad speeches, so it should be right up your street.

As a starter you can see him telling everyone how the wind is killing birds.

Oh wait… do you mean to say you this all just a bad faith argument?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,728 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Hmmm…. I wonder if this means the Dems are going to try replace Harris with Michelle Obama….

(obviously I'm joking, but hopefully this puts to rest people trying to continuously claim the Dems were going to replace Biden with Michelle Obama despite Michelle Obama repeatedly saying she had no interest in running for a political position)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,431 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

No doubt she's had a strange 'turn of phrase' in soft interviews/discussions/speeches over the years.

I suspect we aren't going to see too much of that over the next 3 months though - speeches will be strictly on-point political stuff written by her team, and the debate format (if they go ahead) doesn't give enough time to go off on tortuous tangents.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

The messed up two party electoral system keeps them in the game at a level way above the actual support levels for the policies they espouse.

If you look at the general support levels for their key positions they are almost all massively minority positions

A significant majority of Americans support the general availability of Abortion for example , same with LGBTQ rights/Gay Marriage etc. , same improved Gun control and so on.

The GOP lie and use fear and hatred to keep themselves in the hunt via the EC etc.

But their "policies" are simply not remotely popular outside of the fringes.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,424 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

New York wa only 60% Democrate. Texas voted Republican (any only by 66%).

The whole topic of a popular vote is what the entire country votes - what state you're in makes no difference. One vote on LA is the same as one vote in Bismrarck North Dakora.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Shoog

Just to repeat, the fact that Trump got zip bump from almost been killed means they are absolutely at the top of their voter share and on the way down. Only Bidens poor performance in the debate put them where they were a week ago and Biden is no longer in the race.

There is a stronger motivation to keep Trump out than there is to get him in, which will bring people out who would otherwise not vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,763 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

• Registered Users Posts: 38,432 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

• Registered Users Posts: 30,319 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

It is being covered by all major news outlets, must have been just in last few hours.
    Weird given US time difference.

Barack Obama has endorsed Vice-President Kamala Harris to be the Democratic presidential nominee, ending days of speculation over whether he would support her. Former President Obama and ex-First Lady Michelle Obama said in a joint statement that they believe Ms Harris has the "vision, the character, and the strength that this critical moment demands".

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/c3g32y8j772o

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Redliketoast

Is Trump a rapist? He is a sex offender

Is he a conman? Yes

Is he a liar? Subjective, most politicians are liars. Biden lies all the time but nobody calls him out on it. But I wouldn't argue against calling him a liar

Is he a racist? I don't know. He has said stuff that can be taken as racist. But see last point. Seems to be a weird double standard.

Not one of these points however make someone a good or bad public speaker. What you describe are character traits. Is he a bad character? Yea probably. Perhaps you don't speak good English so don't understand the term "public speaker"?

No I wouldnt. But that doesnt mean anything.

Steve Jobs was one of the greater public speakers of his generation. Alex Ferguson, Tim Robbins, Greta Thunberg, Churchill, JFK, Martin Luther King Jr, all great public speakers. Out of those 7, I probably would only be interested in hearing JFK, MLK and maybe Churchill (I find him interesting but think he was vile).

Being a "great/good public speaker" is somewhat subjective. But it is like saying Eden Hazard is sh*t because he isnt as good as Ronaldo………

Is Greta Thunberg a poor public speaker because we dont like what she says?

What makes a good public speaker? These are the characteristics that make a good public speaker. How well he does on each is subjective. It is on a person by person basis. The next time you watch a public speaker, think about these points and see if they hit them. I will give my opinions if Trump hits them. Im sure you will disagree and that is your right. As I said, I think he is a good public speaker. Many people do. Being a sh*t person doesnt mean you cant be a good public speaker. F'n hell the Left like to compare him to Hitler and Hit;er was a great public speaker. Not someone you would want to go drinking with though………….. Def wouldnt play poker with the f**er either, I'd say he holds grudges

Anyway, what makes a good public speaker? (and my opinions on Trump which are very subjective)

Clarity: (Does he pronounce his words effectively? Do you understand the words he says regardless of what the words mean)
    Yes I do think he pronounces his words effectively. In fact he uses a technique where he OVER pronounces and pauses on certain words to punctuate. This is a well known public speaking technique.

Confidence : (Does he display confidence when speaking or does he look nervous/shaky?)

I don't think anyone feels he doesn't display confidence when speaking. If anything he could do with a reduction of confidence.

Engagement: (Does he "connect" with the audience. Do the audience feel he is "one of them")

Again subjective, but yes I think he tries to engage with his audience (at rallys). I do think he succeeds with this but I have to repeat, its subjective.

Knowledge: (Does he know what he is talking about or at least, does the audience believe he knows what he is talking about)

I think its easier for him here. He doesnt really speak about policy or real laws. His speeches are more about sentiments and his thoughts. When he does speak about real things he often gets caught lying. But in the moment his audience believes him.

Storytelling ability: (Is he able to tell a story to give his opinion "flavour")

Basically every speech at rallys is him telling stories.

Adaptability: (Can he change his thought process depending on how the debate or speech is going?)

He very rarely sticks to one point. He often waffles. This of course can be a bad thing and seen as someone who is nuts. But this style works with his core demographic. Richard Prior and Billy Connolly are prime examples of this. They could start a joke about something and never reach the punchline because they tangent into another joke that just came to them. Its erratic but is a technique for keeping an audiences attention if done correctly. It makes people go "what is he talking about?" which makes people actively think what they are talking about. Of course might not be intended, but it is very much a technique.

Practice: (Does he know what he is saying or does it feel like he is seeing the speech for the first time?)

Man speakers will practice their speech word for word. I would suggest he uses a style where he has maybe 4 or 5 points he wants to hit on at a rally. He practices these over and over. Aside from that he just talks………………… It will of course be a target of criticism if you HATE the person. But this style makes it a conversation rather than a preach session.

Empathy and Audience Awareness: (Does he speak to the audience or at the audience?)

I think its fair to say he doesnt preach to his audience. They feel like he is listening to them. This technique is often associated to evangelists or mediums. He speaks and if someone shouts out he seems to react/answer. This can again look erratic to critics, but if you are a fan you will love this.

So ye I think he is a good public speaker. I think he rates positively in most of those categories. Being a good public speaker is nothing to do with, liking what he is saying or who he is.

People here are saying because "he is a rapist" he cant be a good public speaker…………………… How is that anything to do with how good a speaker you are?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Wasn’t a gripe at anything, just found it unusual that some sources (not all) were only reporting on Harris meeting Netanyahu when the actual President met him and that should also be newsworthy considering his recent and curious absence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

The sanity we need is a guy who is a rapist and convicted fraudster?

• Advertisement

Speeches will be strictly on-point political stuff written by her team

You say that like that is unusual. Before Trump, that was how all campaigns went since since time immemorial. Do you think George Dubya was doing his speeches on the fly?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Shoog

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭thatsdaft

She doesn’t have to be saviour (what is it with the MAGA cult and quasi religious nonsense?)

She just has to be a normal human being with popular policies who is running against a senile rapist, liar, conman and convicted felon whose presidency was an absolute 💩 show

• Subscribers Posts: 41,611 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Your powers of description are fantastic. how could anyone possibly argue against such an erudite statement?

Jesus H Christ, are you still trying to defend your assertion that Trump is a good public speaker??

Seriously man, find another hill to die on.

Yeah, I wonder will Bush, Pence, etc endorse Trump?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,431 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I 100% agree with you and didn't mean it in a negative way at all, if it came across that way. Trust your best team to write todays speech for todays target audience, follow their suggested tone and pacing. Minimum deviating if any. Basic political stuff that's stood the test of time. And should eliminate the 'word salad' allegations.

• Advertisement
Advertisement