Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2024 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Got caught in it on the way back to Rathdrum and my wiper decided to fall asunder on the Avoca road! That was a hairy minute with my head out the window until I could pull in safely!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭pauldry

If you count Summer as May June and July as you nearly would in Sligo as in NW there are more Autumnal evenings from around August 20th. Here's some depressing stats for Sligo

May 2024 days over 20c - 4

June 2024 days over 20c - 3

July 2024 up to incl 25th days over 20c - ZERO

So 7 days over 20c n ZERO over 25c. Highest temperature 22.8c

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Didn't hear it was listening to music trying to cancel out the heavy rain

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

that horrible wind is back again. Didn’t really really notice when it was gone but it’s quite breezy tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭screamer

mixed day here south laois/ kk border. lovely blasts of sunshine and then rain, but overall a good day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭pauldry

Ya the Met must ignore the wind. Was decidedly windy this evening and the past 2 days as far as I know however they have light to moderate. Some sun this evening but its colder now again so it was only 14c in the sun. A

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,008 ✭✭✭appledrop

Really I've given up commenting on summer 2024 at this stage, it really is just 50 shades of grey.

I'm a week back from hols and it's rained everyday apart from the day I came home. Yes the stats might show not much rain but as someone mentioned its crap for drying clothes or if your get caught out in one of the showers your drenched.

Anyway there was a very good article in Irish Times at weekend about the change in Irish weather by the head gardener at Birr Castle. He is there over 30 years and unlike most of us he is outdoors all the time. He said 30 years ago we used to get a 'proper' summer, now we have summer months but not always summer and wetter than it ever was.

He also has plants that now still have leaves in Dec, so we are getting milder winters aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Robwindstorm

I'm definitely living a charmed life here in North meath. We had damp start and some drizzle at 1pm but dry with warm sunshine up to 20c thereafter. I could see distant showers from the hillfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭yagan

Ive worked outdoors over thirty years and I don't see any major change.

The only constant is unpredictability.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭glightning

And it's amazing to think that Ireland's most violent and spectacular long lived thunderstorm occurred in 1985

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭glightning

"It's also 39 years since the great thunderstorm of July 1985 , I wasn't around at the time but I heard it was unreal , it's also 24 years today since concorde crashed"

Jeez. Showing my age. I remember it well. Was about 9 years old at the time. I've been obsessed with thunderstorms ever since!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Dazler97

My favourite thunderstorm was actually the thundersnow event on Friday 26th November 2010, just after 10pm Dublin got about 11hours of thunderstorms it was fantastic, I've been into thunderstorms since I was about 7 love them

beautiful sunny morning here blue skies and calm. Is it to much to ask that this might stay around even for 1 day!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭yagan

85 was unreal.

Was 87 also a good one for thunderstorms?

Lovely sunny start in cork harbour.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Edgardo.

16C cloudy , rain forecast.West Waterford

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

Birght start to the day, hopefully the next week brings us more sunshine which it looks like it will and temps should feel warm. Something to look forward to anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭Zico !

Dark grey and sh1te Cork City as usual

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Needmoretea

The sun was out for a bit this morning in Dublin and now it's struggling to get out from behind the clouds. Is there no end to this? I also remember the epic thunderstorms of 1985 and 1986. I was terrified! 🙂

yeah my early morning optimism is ebbing away the cloud is rolling in the breeze is there and it doesn’t feel warm. It was nice while it lasted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭squarecircles

A bit of warmth and brightness from Sunday to wednesday, except for thd West where it will be pig gloom, low cloud,damp drizzle patchy rain and 17 degrees as a frontal system just couldn't keep it's beak out, then everywhere back to pig muck after that in a cool showery westerly flow.

Heatwaves, Hot and sunny with Crystal blue skies and shimmering seas across the rest of Europe.

What a kip we live in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Yes it was terrifying and that’s not an exaggeration, I remember when I heard sounds like the cracking of a whip I just wanted it to end as I cowered under the blanket.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭gilly1910

Raining now here in Dublin, and Summer 2024 continues to frustrate and depress us in equal measures. Roll on September when I will finally get away from this depressing, rain sodden isle of ours for 10 days, and finally my poor deprived body will finally feel some heat and get some badly needed vitamin D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,441 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

UKMO Fax charts for Saturday afternoon and Sunday look decent, not much wind and if the cloud stays away could be warm and sunny, i'll take that.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭esposito

Funny thing is we’ll more than likely have our best spell of sunny weather in September.

that maybe so Esposito but it will unlikely match the weather that gilly, myself and others will be experiencing abroad. Every year I book holidays in September in the ridiculous assumption that I’ll be around for the Irish summer in June july and August and I can enjoy it. I’m going to revisit this next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

That's exactly why i book May and September foreign holidays for that reason we may have a decent summer at home! And resorts are generally a lot quieter too 😁. Roll on Costa Adeje in 46 days according to my AL app.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

this has to be the worst summer in ages here in Cork city. Most days its been a cloudy mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Sun breaking through in Dublin...nice warmth as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,103 ✭✭✭OldRio

Heavy rain in Leitrim. The heavens have opened and it's running down my drive like a river. Twas showery before that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,458 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Poolbeg chimneys are getting re-painted. They will embellish your amazing photographs even more @sryanbruen

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Advertisement