Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vice President Kamala Harris vs Donald Trump 2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Shoog

Pence certainly not, but that won't impact the MAGA crowd who see him as a traitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

It's a pretty terrible sign when somebody took a shot at Trump and he's still failing to get an endorsement off of the likes of Bush. Also shows how utterly relevant the assassination attempt is turning out to be for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

If course it makes a difference, how hard do the democrats campaign in California where they have no chance in winning the electoral vote compared to a swing states which decides the election with a much smaller population

• Registered Users Posts: 6,763 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Im sure Pence would be only delighted to endorse Trump. He is very popular among MAGAs after all. During the January 6th riot, the MAGAs were concerned Pence couldnt see what was going on so were going to build a platform so he could see better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,424 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Good! They're supposed to be on-point political! Its a political election!

God forbid we just have two idiots throwing mindless insults at each other. We can watch that in Temple Bar any given Saturday night!

EDIT - just seen your post above- fair enough, I did think you were using it as a negative, my apologies.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

I don't consider Bush to be the sharpest tool in the box, but I think he has enough political gumption to stay well away from Trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Shoog

The biggest issue face the Republican in the medium term is the growth of "no religion". A Problem they have absolutely no answer to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,967 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

It's always gas when rightists say, "take stock of what happened on the lefts watch? All the crazy sh*t they have implemented and the absolute **** show state the country is in."

And then give no examples to counter.

I mean, under "the lefts watch":

Border encounters are at their highest levels, which shows illegal immigration is down.

Salary increases are higher than inflation.

Homicides are down across the country.

Stock market is strong.

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2024-opinion-biden-accomplishment-data/

... and yet the state only voted 60% democrat

. Hardly the 'entire' state.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Redliketoast

I was asked a question base don my assertion and I have answered it. Its not a "hill to die on". I have mentioned that it is subjective. If you want to debate any of what I said in the post that you replied to, then cool. If not, then thats cool too.

My point was simple, people are saying because "he is a rapist" he cant be a good public speaker.

Again not dying on any hill. Engage with the post or dont. I am not trying to annoy anyone. I am simply giving an opinion on something that I feel is relevant to this race.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,169 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Jesus, Rachel from friends absolutely eviscerated Vance.

He was a daft pick from the start but by God is that liability snowballing.

Well, that's the right-wing MO: regurgitate wild statement seen on Twitter without research and just expect it to be accepted as fact without challenge

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

He isn't a good public speaker because he isn't a good public speaker.

He rambles , he makes no sense - Yes he mostly elucidates the actual words he uses , but the words don't come together to make a cogent sensible point the majority of the time. He speaks like the guy that everybody tries to avoid getting stuck sitting next to at weddings etc.

He IS a Rapist and a Judge has confirmed we can call him that , as the only reason he wasn't officially found liable for Rape was because he has a tiny penis so E Jean Carroll could not definitively say if it was a stubby little finger he forcibly rammed into her vagina or his teeny tiny penis.

As I have said to other posters here who try to equivocate and split hairs on whether he's a rapist or not - Try making that argument with the women in your life and see how you get on.

That's who you are trying to support and elevate here.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Kincora2017

”significant majority”, “massive minority”, not convinced any of these terms should be used with American politics.

Yes abortion is a massive issue for the Rs but border security/immigration is the same for the Dems. So your suburban mom in Nevada is concerned about the abortion issue but thinks the border is out of control. Who does she vote for?!? If she votes Trump does that make her “fringe”? Absolutely not.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,855 ✭✭✭✭briany

On the lying question, there's that odd moral equivalence that goes out around Donald Trump to say that nobody's perfect or they're all as bad as each other. You say that most politicians lie. OK, taking this point - if we're not willing to be completely intolerant of all lies and liars in politics, then we're going to be have to live with a certain amount of it going on. In that imperfect scenario, the question then becomes which politicians do the most lying, and how damaging are those lies?

If Trump says the 2020 election was rigged, for example, that is a massive and highly damaging lie, which he has repeated very often, not only knowing it makes his followers angry, but I suspect he is relying on that fact.

So while all lies are bad, some are assuredly worse and more consequential than others.

He wasn't just a daft pick, he was a completely bat sh!t crazy pick. It takes away from any last shred of evidence that Trump is actually a shrewd politician and his crazy white man act is just an act. Vance brings nothing to the campaign and is a bigger liability than Trump himself is. Choosing someone solely because of their sycophancy is nuts.

Vance refered to Harris as a crazy cat lady. Meaning he's potentially lost the vote of cat lovers and ladies.

I thought Trump might select a more centrist VP so he could expand his base, not someone even more to the right of himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,319 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Why would she vote for Trump on the border issue, when Trump had his lickspittle Republican drones in Congress block the bill to do something about the border?

If she votes for Trump on the border, she has been fooled by Trump's lies, or she's just not paying attention.

It is up to the Democrats to keep hammering Trump and Republicans over the border, they have no interest in fixing it, it is just a political football they use to rile up their base, with added racist dog whistling.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,728 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Probably didn't think he needed to running against Biden, as all they had to do was push Biden's age, which was already something Dem voters were waning on Biden for. So he went for who he thought would bring in bigger donors. Now that it's Kamala and with Vance absolutely bombing and failing to connect with voters, as well as drawing more of the attention to himself rather than Trump (whereas Pence may as well have just been a glove puppet during the 2016 election), Vance has become a liability.

He's a very good speaker, a very good, you know, some people, some of them experts, have said he's probably the best public speaker ever. I don't know, I'm not an expert, but you know… imagine your on a boat with a battery…

I'm taking it from what I'm reading...

Trump was responsible for Afghanistan negotiations, so if you have issues with that, you won't be alone.

The country is not flooded with illegal immigrants. Trump was the one behind the bipartisan bill being bombed, pest it gives Biden a win.

Pandered to the woke. Please tell me what you think "woke" means before we get into what "pandering to the woke" means

Who's not being honest now?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,319 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Vance was picked because he is a stooge for big donors and is on board with Project 2025 and the Heritage Foundation.

He brings money but no votes or makes a difference in a swing state.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Posts quoted in wrong order, sorry.

Read mine first, then yours.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Immigration is probably the only one where a significant majority would want more done , but even there the GOP blocked the chance to actually do more because Trump doesn't want it fixed because he needs to be able to continue to lie about it for the election.

But the "issues" that the GOP harp on about the most outside of that? they really don't have anything close to majority support.

Last polling I saw showed over two thirds of Voters supported fairly general unrestricted access to abortion (similar to the rules in most other countries for example) , same with things like Gay Marriage , Gun Control etc.

All the big ticket "Conservative values" type stuff is just not popular , it just isn't.

So they lie through their teeth about Immigration and crime and the economy because those are things that people do care about so they can shore up their support to allow them a shot at implementing their actual Christian Nationalist agenda.

Advertisement