Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rugby and Sevens

Options
1828384858688»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Rugbyf565

nah I’m done listening to the Dupont glazing, give it to Fiji or Australia

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Nermal

I watched all group games. I don't watch sevens often, and was pleasantly surprised by how few 'give it to the fast guy and let him burn a defender on the outside' tries there were. Obviously this is the highest level of the sport, but it was still interesting to see how good defences were in terms of spacing and sometimes giving ground but ensuring a linebreak didn't arise. Attackers were extremely cautious not to get ahead of support unless they were nearly sure of making the tryline. I don't get the joke comments, to be honest.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

The pitch is smaller than usual which probably contributes to this somewhat.

I don't really think either Keenan or Dupont have stood out, which probably says something. It is clear that Dupont's strength and conditioning is better than the other guys, and he is able to physically overpower some players, but that aside I haven't seen much from him. I think the games are just diverging too much and a good 7s player is going to be better than the best XVs at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,519 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

You sure about that? Isn't it played on a full size pitch?

Normally yes, but they have added a running track around the pitch at the SdF so it's noticeably smaller than usual. I'm sure it is having an impact on how the games are played.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭sliabh 1956

First up I am a massive Hugo fan in the 15 man game. To me he is an outstanding full back . But i think there is no debate that his move to 7's was not the panacea it was proported to be. Was there ever a need for him in the first place they had allready qualified.He was unfotunate to be the cause of two glaring errors last night. But he is aprofessional and i know its harsh but players are judged by their performances thats the reason they are professionals. Despite Hugos mistakes. we had a great chance last night. There is nothing to be gained by blaming the Tmo them are the breaks as a Corkman i should know from last Sunday😁.But we had the ball in there half and just like the World Cup against the AB we failed to capatalise . Thats the harshness of Sport at the top level. Do my views make me unpatriotic I dont think so. A more passionate Corkman and Irish supporter you wont find but we were led to believe that Hugo was the final piece of the Jigsaw to move this team to become Medal contenders not winners I might add.So its only fair to question Hugos and the teams performance which no doubt the coaching staff will do in due course .Anyway looking forward to Hugo shining for Leinster and Ireland in the months ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

But hasn't stade de france always had a running track and some seats simply retract to have it inuse

• Registered Users Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

TThe Coaches clearly saw a need. France did same with dupont. Other countries added players from 15s. Even after they qualified. So yeah there was a need.

Now hopefully we can build 7s more at a domestic level. We should look to build a proper season for 7s. Could help identify players for 7s who mightnt be seen otherwise as its only guys who've already been in dveelelopment system who've went on and played 7s so far

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Rugbyf565

To say he’s obsessed with us is an understatement. Seems to resent Irish success, maybe it’s because we’ve eclipsed the Welsh in just about every measurement for the last 10 years (youth academies, better coaches, better club teams, more six nations titles, more all black victories, higher world rankings, better head to head record).

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I'm sure Wales will bring a respectable number of medals back from Paris.

• Advertisement

Apparently, which I didn't realise. however, it looks like they have gone further this time round to me - there is no way in hell that is a full size pitch

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Shehal

Tbh I see this as the greatest sign of respect you can have, we live so deeply in their heads that the only thing they celebrate nowadays is the rare occasion Ireland lose.

Btw the definition of "choke" is " the failure of a person, or persons, to act or behave as anticipated or expected."

So how did Ireland choke in a game they weren't expected to win? if anything the game went according to script with it being a close game that Fiji just edged in the end. Or by that definition does that make NZL, ARG & USA also chokers?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭TRC10

Except its not rare, its literally every time. Honestly, the way people go on here you'd think we achieve loads.

They're more than welcome to go out and prove the doubters wrong. But they never do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Augme

12 points up at half time against NZ. Would they not be expected to win the game from there? 8 points up against Fiji with three minutes left, woukd they not have been favourites to won the game at that stage?

I didn't see the NZ game so cant comment, but I certainly thought Ireland put themselves in a position were they were, and should have, beaten Fiji. Professional athletes at an elite level absolutely should be able to close out a game when they've a two score lead with three minutes on the clock and in possession.

Genuinely have no idea why you bother watching rugby.

The problem is, even when in a position where a team should win from 99% of the time, it's ingrained in the Irish psyche that losing is an acceptable result. That's not the case in the serious rugby nations.

Should have beaten NZ - if they'd kicked their points when they got a penalty with about 2 mins to go they would have won, but went for the try and came away empty handed. 8 points up with 3 minutes to go against Fiji isn't even close to a comfortable lead though and the miracle was maintaining the lead that long really. Fiji are just a better 7s team than Ireland.

Excellent counter argument. You've really made me change my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

TRC only posts after an Ireland defeat. Not a peep out of him when Ireland beat South Africa a few weeks ago, but now he's all over this thread.

There's zero point arguing with someone like that. They'll never reply in good faith.

• Advertisement

Well no because its a 15 minute game. The reality is the end results went exactly as expected with Ireland finishing 2nd behind NZL in the pool and losing to Fiji in the QF, it's disappointing but hardly considered a choke…

• Registered Users Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

The Irish 7s team losing in a QF has about as much bearing on the XVs team as an Irish team losing a game of tiddlywinks would. Absolutely bonkers to discuss the two in the same breath.

3 losses in 25 games equates to a losing record of 12% which is considered rare. We do achieve loads, back to back 6N champs remember.

You can be a doubter all you want but you clearly arent a rugby fan, you just want to have a whinge and as a result I'm sure they arent really concerned with how you are feeling.

Also goes to show even if Ireland did "prove doubters wrong" like he suggests, he still will find a way of having a whinge, its pointless even trying to argue about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,432 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Hugo was the star of the team back before he became a senior 15's player.

He made a couple of mistakes but his positioning, tackling and passing were top notch.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Novacs_

Watched the France and Ireland games last night. 7s is absolutely brilliant to watch.

HOW did South Africa beat NZ? We were all over SA!

The kicking for both conversions and penalties is pretty bad. Ireland barely made any ground from their kicks. Maybe worried about it staying in play but still, we had enough possession and we didn't make considerable ground.

I really don't see why Hugo Keenan joined the 7s. To me, it seems like they just saw Du Pont doing it and put the idea in their head then but DuPont is different. It's the Paris Olympics and he is the best rugby player in the world and a massive celebrity in France.

Keenan was poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

This season they weren't, Ireland were the 2nd best team across the series this year. Obviously Fiji have the pedigree, but we should've closed that game out. Their 2nd try was a result of abysmal tackling, similar to the ones NZ scored. That's just not good enough at all, there's no getting away from it.

Advertisement