Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First Secretary 2024

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 sheepgobahhh

There will likely be several batches called to the interview stage based on previous First Sec competitions.

Staff in DFA don't get any special interview training/prep for First Sec competitions. It's the same as anywhere else - if you know someone in the role or it's your manager you might ask them for help.

Best of luck to anyone who made it through to shortlisting. I didn't make the 320 mark, but did score quite well (in my opinion), so looking forward to seeing the cut-off for the next batch to be brought to interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 wizards_sleeve

I wonder how long the panels run for? I’m guessing that they took the top 40 as I scored close but not close enough to 320. There are also the interdepartmental and internal panels to consider so not confident that another batch from open will be called for interview tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 96 ✭✭countyireland12345

The booklet does not seem to confirm, but I presume 2 years from closing date per 2021 and 2018 open competitions, in which case it would run to 30 May 2026. The poster above said further batches were called in previous comps, and the 2018 FS comp thread on here confirms that too. Wouldn't be surprised if some people get a message in a year's time asking if still interested / called to stage 2 (interview).

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭exitstageleft

Was 320 the combined competency score required to get called through?

Unfortunately, I fluffed one and didn't make the minimum score. Did pretty well in the others.

Congrats to those who made it through and good luck in the interviews!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Tipplegend

Scored well across the competencies but unfortunately didnt reach the 320 mark! Disappointed but given the number of applicants the shortlisting was always going to be brutal.

Having worked in DFA for a bit, I know that there is no special training for these applications. Its just that those already in the dip service have the experience and knowledge and can give advice. 3rd Secs willll also have a lot of relevant examples

The interdepartmental circular mentioned the panel would end sometime in 2026. So given the number of vacancies that will actually arise, it is highly unlikely that a second batch will be called to interview.

That being said the last competition wasnt very successful by all accounts, with a good number of those panelled turning down offers in the end.

But hey I will keep my fingers crossed!

Best of luck to all that got called through to the next stage!

Advertisement