Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Toyota Rav 4 hybrid

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭JPup

If you want excellent fuel economy from a RAV4 then you have to go PHEV. It’s more expensive but also a lot faster so there are pros and cons.

Regular RAV4 hybrid economy is fine for the size of the vehicle. Similar to diesel I think (maybe lower in city driving) but with lower emissions. But you won’t really notice savings on fuel costs though unless you go for the plug in one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

The phev is 11k more, not worth it in my opinion, cheaper phevs out there the same price as the rav4 hybrid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 320 ✭✭dedaw

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭vimalandrew

I can see a lot of new RAV4s in the road. Looks like Hyundai Tucson sales are down. They make the numbers by giving it to Garda. Now whats the point in buying a RAV4. Price of BZ4x is now gone down to 42K from 52K. I think RAV4 also costs the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Gorteen

Any feedback on this hybrid? I can't find much commentary, if any, on Boards in the past couple of years

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Ev fan

I have a friend in Dublin who has I think a 2022 reg Rav4 petrol hybrid. He is very happy with it and he says very economical getting 5ish litres/100km. The hybrid system does seem to be particularly efficient for such a big square car - mind you he tends to drive with a light right foot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 79 ✭✭borderfox11

that's really good, he must be tootling around to get around 5

In the summer time I'm getting 5.6l/100km, mix of motorway driving and the odd short journey to the shops etc, in the winter it's more like 6-6.2

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭vimalandrew

I can see plenty of new RAV4s in road recent days. It looks like Toyota is delivering plenty of them and trying to clear the long waiting list. I think its because they are going to launch the new version soon. I heard that its prime version will coem with a solid state battery of 200km range. Currently RAV4 prime has around 312 horse power and price is 58000 compared to the hybrid version which has 200 horse power and price of 42000. I also found it would be a nice alternative to EVs since it provides 20km per litre fuel efficiency and very powerful with 313 horse power.

Becuase I went to Belfast last Saturday on my Bz4x and in the morning it was charged full showing 450 km range. Climate was good around 19 degrees. I put only fan at the lowest speed and no air conditioning. Now range showed 410 km. From Swords to Belfast around 170km. On return, when I was 1km away from home, battery showed 0%. So I got only 350km range. In winter I would assume it gives only 250km range when the heating is on as per ev database. Now I realise the reason why sale of EVs are slowing down.

• Advertisement

Bz4x has poor efficiency with a smallish battery- 64kWh useable for a big car. I don't think Toyota put much effort and resources into this EV- to date they have not shown any leadership in the EV arena. There are much better EV options available with larger useable batteries properly matched to the size of the car with better efficiencies and range e.g. ID.4/77kWh useable with 445km range. Batteries are getting better all the time resulting in EV range not being an issue for most people. EV sales will improve with these developments and cheaper cars along with an increasing number of users who appreciate the benefits of EVs over ICE.

And mild weather range is 510km which gives a combined weather range of 445km which is the figure I quoted. Given the time of year I would have thought you had mild conditions and hence could have expected a higher range. FWIW I have a Cupra Born with 58kWh useable battery- my long time average over 19 months is 6.2km/kWh or approx 350km total average range which is spot on with the EV database.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭PaulRyan97

Yes it's absolutely worth noting that ev-database classified cold weather as -10°c. Not a realistic comparison for Irish winters.

The BZ4X is simply an inefficient vehicle, clearly intended by Toyota as a compliance car.

Advertisement