Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

So many Clare supporters saying how great it was that the reff "allowed the game to flow", in others words wasn't it great that he threw the rulebook straight out the window?

The fickleness of sport eh if it was Cork that won, i bet those same Clare fans wouldn't be praising him for letting it go! Either apply and enforce the rules or abolish them.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

The hardest all Ireland to win will be the one to break the now twenty year drought.

Tipperary and Kilkenny don't have it like they used to either, but our wait for the all Ireland is longer than theirs.

We have to get over the line when we next get into the final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭Seadin

I have seen Cork winning four All Irelands. 1999, 2004, 2005, and 2010 in the football. I can only remember back to 1992.

I have also seen Cork lose alot of finals in both hurling and football 1992,1993,1999, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2013, 2021, 2024.

My nephew is 18 and has never seen Cork win an All Ireland in the Senior grade.

If it's anything to go by with the football we eventually won it on the 5th time after losing the first four finals after our last win. Hopefully that happens with the hurling as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

When you list out the losses like that 10 (Hurling & Football combined) since '92 it's shocking. We do have a fragility when we are in finals which surprises me.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,394 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Just had a look at our records in both codes on finals day

Won 30, lost 21 in Hurling

Won 7, lost 16 in football

Record in Hurling is still very respectable for bit yet anyway. Football is poor although i think Cork were robbed of few back in early years over disputes. But still that's really desperate too ha.

Tipp are won 28 lost 13 (impressive).. Cats are 36 and 29.

Galway are won 5 and lost 25 ouch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭lukin

I can guarantee you that if it was the other way around and Clare had been on the end of that jersey tug and lost Brian Lohan would have complained about it afterwards. 100 percent guaranteed. He has moaned after games in the past.

Are you guys surprised how quite the black card incident has been nothing about that?

Again ya get feeling had it been other way around we won that have been way more coverage.

Again though for me Clare deserved it and we move on but just surprised seen so little about it.

In my own opinion lads and ye might agree or disagree, I think the Cork players and Pat Ryan should have made a massive fuss about all the decisions that went against us in that tight game and especially when it was the final and to lose like that. Clare had one decision that went against them but we had about six I think from what I remember. People were saying fair play for Ryan for not bringing it up. He should have in my opinion as Cork have been on wrong end of alot of calls this year. All Ireland final v Clare, All Ireland semi final v Limerick and the u20 game v Tipp this year all major decisions that were crucial and went against Cork. The nice guy approach of saying nothing and accepting the calls will win you nothing in Sport unfortunately. Clare were the better team but we weren't far off from winning either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,417 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Agreed, it’s one of the most blatant decisions to go against a team, especially considering he debated it with his umpires, it wasn’t missed.

It’s either bias or more likely, the bent logic that you can’t send someone off in a final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,003 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Hmm, I wasnt getting personal, I merely said he should be in better shape for his age.

Its a tough job being a referee in hurling, the game is so fast and the pitch huge.

Its imperative to be reasonably fit and trim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

You can be big and extremely fit. All refs has a fitness test to pass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭thefa

Just a few thoughts on some of the stuff in the last couple of pages.

I think it’s valid to be critical of the ref & umpires on some of the big decision but it’s obviously not the sole reason we lost which I think most have the sense to know. I’ve heard a couple of podcasts and a read a couple of comments here almost bending over backwards making excuses but the fact remains that multiple big decisions went against Cork. It doesn’t matter that the ref got 97% right (off the ball podcast) or deflection to the outcome such as Clare deserved the win, missed a load of chances, etc.

The potential black card incident should have been more than a free, minimum yellow. The 65 was an obvious error and then there was the chop on Fitzgibbon near the end. Both two point swings. Decisions were not always easy and the ref/umpires are rarely perfect but you hope it balances out which it didn’t here. It is what it is.

I thought back in 2013 when we got the replay and Clare had generally been the better team that day. Firmly thought Cork had learned lessons from the first day but the opposite happened. I’d like to have think Cork would have a had a great chance to improve in the replay but it goes back to being a 50/50 game again with closely matched sides.

I remember watching the semi final and thinking Limerick really started to dominant our puck out towards the end of the first half but we persisted and had a massive start to the second half which Limerick never recovered from despite again dominating the puck out for the end of the game too. Maybe the signs were there to a degree with that issue.

Management were very slow to bring on changes until forced to in the later stages of the season. Not sure was the form there with some of the players or trust with them from management.

I’ve been lucky enough to watch 10 all Irelands in person and only seen 2 wins and a draw. I’m not sure do I buy into the idea of weak mentality per se. Some of those teams ran into great teams from Kilkenny and Kerry and I don’t think Cork went into any of them as big favourites. Like the Limerick final a few years ago was a complete mismatch and underperformed on the day here against Clare. I do think there is an element of timing and peaking for the big occasion whether thats emotional/physical/form. I do think the Limerick performance was going to be difficult to replicate.

@Seadin I'm on the mobile phone version of Boards.ie so i can't quote you directly, but yeah since 1990 the year we reached our peak as a county, it's been ten final defeats across both senior codes for four wins.

I would argue that in some of those finals we didn't get the breaks 1993, 2009, 2013 and last Sunday. We had enough chances to win in 2003 as well! We could've won another double in 1999 if it wasn't for Colin Corkery and Steven O'Brien sitting in the stands!

But then though you have years like 2007 and 2021 when we had no chance of winning. Yeah we've had more bad days than good since 1990 in both mens senior codes.

The thing is for as long as we have to pay off that Frank Murphy monument/stadium debt adequately financing the preparation of both our senior intercounty squads will continue to be an issue.

There's a reason why the county board were charging four euros for people to attend the homecoming!

Post edited by Straight Talker on

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Bot1

Things could be worse. We could be from Leitrim!

No bother. Yeah looking back at All Irelands that we lost, since 1990, I think we were beaten well by Kilkenny in 1992, i never felt like we could win that one. In 1993 I felt Cork could have got a victory against Derry. The 1999 game v Meath we could have won that one too but things didn't go our way. The 2003 All Ireland hurling v Kilkenny, we missed all around us that day and we still left it after us it was a very hard All Ireland to lose and take. In 2006 Kilkenny were just better than us no complaints. In 2007 no answer to Kerry they were just too good. In 2009 we had a better chance but just couldn't do it on the day and Kerry finished strong. In 2013 first day out we probably could have won that v Clare if we were cuter on the sideline. The replay game of 2013 we had no answer we were chasing the game from the start and we weren't good enough. In 2021 we went in hope of winning eventhough we knew deep down we didn't have a chance as Limerick were unbelievable that year. 2024 we felt we could win and looking back we had enough to go and win it.

I would say 2003, 2013 first game and 2024 have been the most disappointing days out finishing up on the losing side in the hurling all Irelands since 1990.

Here are all the dodgy decisions by the ref. You can say Clare were the better team and that's fine but if any team had all those decisions going against them in a tight game they would find it hard to win as well.

Post edited by Seadin on

Sunday was worse for me. We weren't on the wrong end of so many refereeing decisions in 2003 and 2013 as we were the Sunday just gone! We were architects of our own downfall as well of course. If we kept Clare goalless we would've won pretty comfortably enough but it's all ifs buts and maybes at the end of the day. We just weren't cute enough both on and off the field to deal with some of Clare's antics either imo.

With regards to 1992 the 1990 team was already on the slide at that point. We beat Tipp in Munster in a poor enough game. Limerick scored two late goals in that years Munster final, but we were comfortable enough winners really and we weren't that overly impressive beating Down in the semi final.

The final that year was a miserable wet and drizzly day, and while we never gave up Kilkenny were by far the better team on the day. Canon O'Brien's decision to have Kevin Hennessy and John Fitzgibbon switch positions, as well as the one to bring Tomas Mulcahy out to the half forward line were not exactly inspired ones! Why Barry Egan didn't get a runout that day i don't know. He had a great Munster final after all.

As for Derry in 1993 we were very unlucky that day, but it's the only all Ireland Derry have ever won so i can't begrudge them it too much.

I was only 6 when we win double in 90. I was at football final still remember it.

The most painful defeat in hurling was 2003 up to Sunday. Sunday overtook all those ones I have been alive for.

As for football,nothing and I mean nothing comes close to the defeat in 2009. It still pisses me off how that challenge on Murphy just never gets the scrutiny it deserved. Cork were best football team country in 2009 we really were. Never seen cork play as well right up to final. It was a total collapse in that final.

At least we got over line in 2010. Hard see us winning football AI in next 20 years though. Miles behind on player development.

I was there in 2003 and I felt sorry for Gardiner, he couldn't hit a mountain that day he missed everything he struck from play and placed balls. Setanta had a super chance when Joe Deane passed off a class pass under pressure but it went narrowly wide. We had the beating of Kilkenny that day after a terrible start but we couldn't finish it and Comerford got one fluke of a goal, he didn't strike it clean but it found the back of the net and it finished our chances of winning.

I agree 2009 was painful too. I honestly thought we beat Kerry that day but it just never got going after a super start.

2024 is the one that hurts most and if there is any relief Cork will get back again and win the final next time.

I can't believe we let Kennelly away with that one. It should've been a case of all in and everyone in after that! Then you have Pat Ryan after the match we have no complaints etc. Obviously it's good to be gracious in defeat, but when you are wronged and we got an awful doing over on Sunday by the officials, then you need to speak up and fight your corner.

The players should've been right in the referees face last Sunday letting him now that he's effing things up good and proper here.

We've just become a bunch of meek nice guys both on and off the field in both codes. We really do need to get with the times here and adapt a more cynical and aggressive attitude and approach to things. We are Cork after all we shouldn't be lying down and taking **** from anyone.

• Advertisement

I agree,

When we played with an aggressive style against Offaly in the U20 final of 2023, that team were accused as bullys and using dirty tactics. There was nothing said about Clare then the last day, they were bullys and using dirty tactics to win the game. See when Horgan was taking a free and Conor Leen stood right on the ball so that Horgan couldn't take a fast one. Dirty tactics. I just can't wait to see them beaten next time we owe it to them going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭lukin

Yes we did bully Offaly a bit that day but we were clever about it. Our backs took it in turns to foul Adam Screeney so that they would just get a yellow. He wasn't fouled by anyone on a yellow because they knew they would then get a second one and be sent off. Maybe our players were instructed along those lines before the game.
    If the seniors were a bit more cute like that last Sunday we might be All-Ireland champions now. Sometimes you have to just take the yellow but you have to do it before the opponent gets too close to the penalty area or else you risk a black card and/or a penalty. The rules are a bit more lax in this area at U20, you can get away with more.
    I am not condoning fouling but look, if you can't beat them,join them.
    The only thing we got away with in that U20 game was when Shane Kingston took out the Offaly lad with a shoulder to the head (see below). He was very lucky not see red for that.
    The Offaly manager had a bit of a moan about it afterwards but he admitted Cork were the better side;

https://ourgame.ie/offaly-manager-leo-oconnor-cries-foul-after-cynical-incidents/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 109 ✭✭another36

Dirty tactics/bullys is a stretch.

Clare always play a physical game. There is rarely a game where one of the backs don't get a yellow - but name a game in recent history where a player gets sent off for Clare?

The playing on the edge was mainly fine tuned for their Limerick games. Limerick play a very physical game too.

Cork should have prepped for the physicality that they knew Clare would bring.

Cork played very clever and skilfully against Limerick but they showed their hand and gave Clare opportunity to plan and prepare for that.

I agree with you saying that Cork should have known what Clare were going to bring to the game. And Clare knew what to expect too from Cork.

Post edited by Seadin on

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Bot1

Is there anywhere I can see a full replay of that final?

It doesn't seem to be on TG4 sport channel!

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭sportsfan90

Not what you asked for I know but there’s highlights on YouTube.

I'm saying this about myself as much as anyone else, but ever since the full time whistle blew in the 2006 all Ireland final, we've spent the last eighteen going on nineteen years since giving out and moaning about other teams being too tough and physical for us.

I'd say other counties see us now as a bunch of Walter the softies who don't like it when the going gets tough and dirty. It's up to the players themselves to change these perceptions people have of them.

Obviously refereeing and the application or in last Sunday's case non application of the rules is a serious issue, but when a team wants to wage war with us we need to adapt accordingly. There is times when you quite simply just have to earn the right to play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭thefa

Following up on the other poster referencing YouTube. First one is full game on RTE and second is BBC. Not sure how long they’ll stay up for.

The thumbnail for the BBC one really shows up the red over the yellow. Some great games were had this year even if the outcome wasn’t the best.

For most part I totally agree. We need develop a strong mental attitude.

• Advertisement

I think they will come again, fix a few things in defence and few new u20 players and I think we will be right in the mix again. The hurt will have to motivate them, they know they are not far away at all. We go again.

Advertisement