Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General British politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭Enzokk

I would have thought people are tired of parties playing politics. The SNP is good at that, making other parties look bad by proposing amendments that they know will put the others in difficult positions, but that will not actually make a difference in people's lives. We saw this with the Gaza vote as well, it was done not to make people's lives better in Gaza but to embarrass Starmer and Labour. A vote that would not compel the government to do anything nor force Israel to stop killing people in Gaza, but it would make Labour look bad and sow division within the party.

The jokes on the SNP though, only 9 MP's and I think the fallout from the scandal will still run and run. They would be better off to start making differences in people's lives and propose amendments that have a hope of achieving change instead of grandstanding for viral moments and tweets that will not achieve anything.

The left of Labour would be better served as well to choose their battles. If Labour does away with the policy in a few months time they will just look silly and will miss the conference as a result. But at least non-member Owen Jones can make a video about it and how absolutely terrible Labour is in wanting children to be poor and they are just Tory-lites.

I remember when Labour member Femi was kicked out of the party and the Corbyn fans were telling him that as a Labour member he should have known he could not say he voted for another party or advocate others do it as well. But now Labour MP's are okay to vote for an opposition amendment and should face no consequence for that? When they ran on the pledge to be fiscally responsible and knowing the mess they are in?

It made me think back on Iain Duncan Smith winning his seat because Faiza Shaheen ran as an independent and got 12K votes, same as the Labour candidate. IDS got 17K votes and is back as an MP and Shaheen and her fans had the gall to blame Labour for him winning his seat. I agree, the way she was treated was abysmal but to not take any responsibility for you running and taking votes from the Labour candidate and having IDS as an MP is just as abysmal. I guess the left just needs to always have someone else to blame for their failures and will never take responsibility when their own actions are the reasons for why things don't always work out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,831 ✭✭✭blackwhite

You’d get the sense that the hard left within Labour hate Starmer more than they hate the Tories.

Nothing worse than someone who is willing to be pragmatic and compromise when needed, and who can actually succeed where their hard-left messiah failed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,201 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Parliamentary democracy in the UK is about the government putting prospective bills to parliament and it is perfectly legitimate for MPs to propose amendments to those bills. This has happened hundreds of thousands of times since that democracy was created. It is also perfectly legitimate to oppose those amendments but it is not perfectly legitimate to claim you will do one thing and then do the opposite which is exactly what my MP (Michael Shanks) did.

The rest of your post is a whinge against certain groups or individuals

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

but it is not perfectly legitimate to claim you will do one thing and then do the opposite which is exactly what my MP (Michael Shanks) did.

Oh please. It was a proposed amendment to the King's Speech which is basically giving legal weight to the manifesto that Labour came in with an overwhelming majority on not three weeks earlier. Doing anything but voting for the Speech, and voting down amendments, would be ridiculous.

The cap will likely be addressed in the budget, which is where it really belongs.

In an utter surprise to no-one, Labour are about to announce there is a black hole of about £20bn when calculating using their (Tory) fiscal rules. They knew this before the election but kept saying 'no there was no black hole therefore there would be no cuts or tax rises after the election'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Randycove

They are in a similar position to the SNP, in that they can blame someone else for them having to make hard decisions.

It will only last for so long, until people realise that they are just excuses.

The point is they knew this before the election but chose to say otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭PommieBast

They have to spend (no pun intended) the excuse now while the Conservatives are busy infighting. When they made the pledge on Income/NI/VAT it was clearly going to be a matter of when it is broken rather than if.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,652 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

They didn't know. They suspected; they would have had a very good idea, but they didn't know. The Tories knew. I didn't hear them saying they would have to increase taxes. Instead, their main point of attack was that Labour would raise taxes.

A 20bn hole left by a party that ran on fiscal competence and years of austerity is not Labour's fault nor an excuse. It will take Labour years to try to fix the mess that the Tories have left behind, which means that many of the things Labour would like to do they can't as the resources aren't there.

labour won’t fix it, because a lot of the problems are hang overs from Covid and Putin’s war. They’ll just blame everything on the Tories for as long as possible.

• Advertisement

They did know but chose to play 'party politics' before the election

• Registered Users Posts: 11,004 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Credit where it's due, good news that the new government are supposedly going to withdraw the UK's objection to ICC jurisdiction with regards to the Israel-Gaza conflict.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Credit when it is done but to even object to ICC jurisdiction in the first place was abominable

Won't fix it or can't fix it? There is no magic solution to the problems that 14 years of Troy mismanagement have landed the country in.

The 20bn is based on current spending. It doesn't factor in new spending like new hospitals, infrastructure, education, or investments in green energy.

20bn just to keep the UK in the state it currently is.

Maybe, they certainly had a good idea, as I said. But what messages were the Tories giving in the months leading up to the election? Was Sunak out detailing the massive hole in the finances? The need for additional tax rises? No, they were talking about the turnaround, the fastest growing G7 economy etc.

THis is 100% on the Tories. Blaming Labour for not telling everyone that their lives were going to get worse is fanciful. Having watched Brexit and the 2019 election it is clear that the electorate want slogans and good news not reality.

Both Labour and the Conservatives were emphatically told that their plans did not hold up to scrutiny and the only way to deal with it whilst keeping the same fiscal rules was a. tax rises or b. spending cuts or c. a combination of both. The Tories were an irrelevance as there was no circumstance that they would form the next UK government. Labour brushed this aside and stated people including the IFS were misinformed and scaremongering

can’t fix, but it doesn’t matter because they will manage to convince people it is all down to the Tories, so it should buy them another election.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,171 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

What do you mean "manage to convince".

It is down to the Tories.

Labour said they would be looking to raise taxes, but very limited. They stressed the need for growth to help pay for everything. If that growth doesn't come then taxes will have to rise.

Look back at the furore over the VAT on private schools and tell me if that points to a situation where people want to be told that tax rises are needed? It would have cost them votes and seats.

I'm not arguing that they couldn't have been more upfront with the true state of the UK, but elections are there to be won and the voters had shown, with both Brexit and 2019 GE, that laying the truth out won't get you far when the other side is prepared to simply make stuff up. WHat I am saying is that blaming Labour for what is a mess created by the Tories, when everyone really knew the mess the UK is in, with Brexit playing a massive part but again it seems the public is tired of talking about it and just wants to forget about it.

That is the reality of the political situation that Labour found themselves in.

• Advertisement

some, but there are much larger factors in play, such as Covid and Ukraine that are out of the UK governments hands, but as I said, they have managed to convince people otherwise.

There is no convincing to be done as it is 100% down to the Tories

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,792 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It's all down to the Tories. A party of fiscal responsibility wouldn't have burned money or handed it to their friends via Whatsapp.

Tax rises will be hard to justify with the cost of living the way that it is. Growth, if it happens, is years away. Probably a whole term. The fact is that they probably don't have much room for manoeuvre unless they start borrowing which will attract loud and shrill nonsense from the tabloids.

They've inherited the country at its worst state since the second world war. Fixing that in any way will be a huge accomplishment.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Go away out of it. Every country had those problems and didn't screw it up like your Tory golden boy Boris. That's before we even get into the empty vessel that was May, auld jobs for the boys Sunak and worst of all the tactical nuclear lettuce ye dropped on the economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭Enzokk

They may have exacerbated the problems but they did not cause them. The problems were in the UK economy before Covid hit and then Putin invaded Ukraine as they had sluggish growth and the decisions on Brexit meant they were hamstringing themselves without the additional challenges.

Trying to point out Covid and Ukraine as reasons for why they are in their current mess seems like trying to shift the blame.

Its not "seems like" it is trying to shift the blame. Pretty standard stuff from the threads current Tory mouthpiece.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,792 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Ukraine is probably the only thing the Conservatives got right, probably because they weren't quite stupid enough to take Putin's side.

Covid was disastrous for the UK because of the way the Tories softened up the country before handing executive control to Johnson. Austerity devastated communities and public services, making the UK uniquely vulnerable in Europe to the virus. Johnson scrapped a pandemic preparadness team just before the pandemic hit:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2020/06/13/boris-johnson-scrapped-cabinet-pandemic-committee-six-months/

Not a source I cite often.

This is before we spent £30 billion on Liz Truss' insanity, spent billions on useless PPE and countless millions on Tory pals like Michelle Mone. Working class people and businesses had no idea that furlough would be extended until the day it was due to end while the Tories were having their big parties in No. 10.

Last time I checked, Tom Tugenhadt was spouting the usual guff about leaving the ECHR and he's supposed to be functional.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

"£30 billion on Liz Truss' insanity" and the UK are currently in a 20 billion hole.

But the Tories are not to blame for the deficit 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 7,244 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I finished Rory Stewart's latest book during the week. The final chapters are about the 2019 leadership campaign where he ran as a candidate. He talks about his dismay that he was the only one of the final candidates who talked how impossible what Boris Johnson was proposing at the time was: namely that the UK could leave the EU prior to the end of October 2019, without a deal if necessary, that they wouldn't need to prorogue parliament to do so and they could do all that without affecting the border in Ireland. He knew that people like Savid Javit and Jeremy Hunt knew it was nonsense but they were afraid to go against the popular opinion within the ranks of the party membership (and the journalists writing for the papers that they read).

It looks like Tom Tugenhat is simply following that well worn path of political cowardice.

• Advertisement

On the subject of Tory scandals, the complete failure to even speak to him, a man who speaks multiple Afghan languages and runs a charity there about the situation before the disastrous withdrawal tells you everything you need to know about them.

Tugendhat knows that the membership is toxic and his only chance is to pander to it. It's quite disappointing.

Advertisement