Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Case Review of Sophie Tuscan du Plantier murder to proceed. **Threadbans in OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭drury..

I'm losing track a bit

If this happened and he lied about knowing her I assume that he was hiding an interest or infatuation or an intent even or simply feigned lack of awareness of her being

I make assumptions

It's a fact that people conceal attractions etc . They're not always straight up in this area

Anyway you seem the dog with a bone type who goes round and round

Disclaimer:This is all speculation and may be incorrect

I don't know who killed sophie.

I believe bailey likely murdered her

• Registered Users Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Of course Bailey might have formed an "interest" on this very nebulous acquaintance. And so might anyone else who was fleetingly introduced.

There really wasn't much opportunity for any greater friendship than this, for several reasons:

1 Sophie was rarely at the cottage, and whenever she DID visit, she had always had a guest with her, prior to this occasion.

2 She didn't speak good English and all her closest contacts in the area spoke some French. Except for mere businesslike contacts like the housekeeper and her family, and the immediate neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭jesuisjuste

Proof of lying, indication of murder

Proof of murder, indication of lying

Assumption of lying, assumption of murder

Assumption of telling the truth, assumption of innocence.

There's not really a middle ground in this respect, he either did it or he didn't do it. You just believe different things, nothing else to it, and everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Yes there's different views on this, I don't really follow some of your post, it reads like a rant

I haven't heard any solid theory as to why she would get beaten to death like this at the gate in a morning murder

I believe bjsc is likely correct in her assertion that this likely wasn't a random caller that morning, if it was a morning murder

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭jesuisjuste

As mentioned earlier, statistics say over 50% of murders of women are "overkill", beaten to a pulp, and 90% happen in or around their home.

Only 10% are murdered by a "random caller", stranger. Chances are she knew of them a little bit (45% or so) or intimately (45% or so). It actually doesn't matter if Bailey knew her well or not, he'd be on the list either way, alongside probably 100 other people.

Did Bailey lie, its possible. Somebody had to lie about their whereabouts that morning, whoever killed her. Was he 'caught' in a lie though? No. Red herring.

• Advertisement

Did bailey lie ?

Been done to death but both Ian and Jules changed their stories regarding the time prior to the murder

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Baz Richardson

You are using an ad hominem in response to my efforts to understand your thought processes.

I have been polite to you, I ask the same of you to me.

Post edited by Baz Richardson on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,727 ✭✭✭chooseusername

The alleged introduction supposedly witnessed by Leo Bolger was a few years before the party.
    This is what the guest at Alfie’s party posted on the old closed thread “Murder at the Cottage”

It appears Sophie was not at her cottage at the time. It was a conversation between the party guests about Sophie .

My only knowledge is that I was at Shirley's retirement party in the Summer of 1996 at their house.

While there I got landed with talking to.. or rather listening to...Ian Bailey stoned blow holing for bloody hours. Alfie was a great but very slow cook.

I didn't actually know he was Ian Bailey until after Sophie's death when someone told me I had been talking to him. As far as I was concerned I had been amusing myself winding up a pompous tall English bloke with a beard who was full of his own self importance. And to be fair to him, he took it with good humour.

I was involved in the conversation where there was a reference made to who lived at the neighbour's house. As part of that conversation my impression from what was said was Bailey knew Sophie to see but not that she lived there.

So in short, I knew and worked with Alfie for many years. My then in-laws were very close friends of both Alfie and Shirley. I was at the location in late August 1996. I met Ian Bailey there.

Sophie was not in residence. Her house was unoccupied.

I did later meet him on campus at UCC about 2001 and we had coffee. He was not the same man. By then all that was keeping him going was anger and frustration. The arrogance was gone.

And no. I don't think he did it.

I do think he was planning on spinning being the accused into an eventual book once he was cleared. A tell all 'I fought the Law and I won' exposé.
    He was a bit of a grifter, living casual job to casual job. This probably looked like his big break. Chat shows, interviews, book sales beckoned.

There is another post, I’ll try to dig it out.

here's a bit from it,

As part of that lengthy waiting for Alfie to do the BBQ conversation another not local asked who lived in the neighbouring house - all you could see from Alfie's courtyard was some of the upper floor and the roof. I can remember clearly there was 5 of us standing by the BBQ and we all turned to look. Alfie said it was a French film producer who was a bit of a pain in the hole 'always complaining about something', a sentiment shared by the Scull restauranteurs in attendance, and as far as he knew she wasn't there.
    Bailey asked if that was Sophie. Someone local asked if he knew her. He replied "just to see around". . Alfie did not say "I introduced you to her last year". In fact, that was the end of any conversation about the neighbour as Bailey began a lengthy, and mostly knowledgeable but with a fair amount of b.s, discourse on the topic of Le Cinéma Français

"Alfie did not say "I introduced you to her last year"."

Make of that what you will.

Interesting indeed that Alfie did not mention introducing Sophie and Bailey. To be fair though, I probably wouldn't have mentioned it either as Bailey was saying he knew her by sight. For me, knowing that I had briefly introduced them a year earlier wouldn't be worth mentioning in that case. However had he completely denied knowing her by sight too, then I may have mentioned it to correct him.

Alfie's comments about Sophie certainly cement the allegations around their strained neighbourly relationship.

It is also interesting that Bailey had no interest in discussing Sophie, further evidence that he simply did not know her, or even had the slightest interest in her, a short time before the murder.

Thank you for digging out the OPs comments though, I tried and failed myself!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭head82

Trying to get an impression of Sophies character from reading witness statements and anecdotal comments such as those mentioned at the above BBQ.. she doesn't come across as a particularly warm or friendly individual.

Alfies comment "a bit of a pain in the hole 'always complaining about something', a sentiment shared by the Scull restauranteurs in attendance", paints a portrait of a somewhat cantankerous and 'entitled' individual. Considering she was an infrequent visitor to a small community, this is not exactly the best way to ingratiate yourself with the locals.

In his statement to the authorities, her ex lover.. Bruno Carbonnet.. sounds relieved that the relationship came to an end when it did. He portrays her as borderline unhinged!

If this was her general demeanor.. standoffish, argumentative.. it makes it a little easier to grasp how upon encountering the wrong individual (potentially up to no good) on a cold and dark winters night/morning could result in such a violent outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,080 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

I guess the “hope” for progress in this case lies here- no guarantees though. Even if the person themselves can’t be identified, the make up of the DNA will point towards their background country - Irish, English, French other - and also potentially some distant relation if the samples can be legally shared on sites such as ancestry.com

“DNA samples taken from 134 exhibits at the crime scene are likely to be sent for further analysis. One male genetic profile on Ms Du Plantier’s boot has never been identified.Fingerprints also remain unidentified. A statement from a garda technical expert in 1997 said the “many fingerprints” identified in the house belonged to the housekeeper and members of her family, but “a few” fingerprints could not be identified.”

• Registered Users Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭chicorytip

In the mind of a fantasist like Bailey was the most tenuous of connections or interactions can morph into deep and meaningful relationships.

Also interesting that Bailey only "knew of" Sophie, and knew her "to see", yet did not know where she lived considering he was supposedly introduced to her on the lane outside her house a year or so before. The idea that he was lying and pretending not to know her at that stage is just nonsense.

Remember Alfie and Shirley and the Bolgers were thick as thieves, Bolgers had horses on Alfie's land and both Leo and Sally Bolger visited Alfie and Shirley regularly when tending their horses. Alfie would find it difficult to contradict Leo's story about the introduction, hence the 80 -90%.

here's the link,

(page 83)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,371 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

That could apply to any 'fantasist' in the area, tenuous at best.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

That’s a hard leap for my mind to make- it would be even harder for a jury to make that leap. Theres no history of Bailey becoming fanatical over someone he just met or saw from a distance - his history of partner abuse happened in a well established relationship - the fact that there’s no writings from him about Sophie prior to her death would also support that view- Bailey communicated a lot through the medium of writing - if he were obsessed he would have written something down - of that I’m certain

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Evergreen_7

nope, they can’t use ancestry or any large company. In fact, forensic genealogy isn’t used here to solve crime yet. When they can, only certain companies like GEDmatch, which the user must give permission for their dna to be used by law enforcement, can be used. But it’s never been done in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭BQQ

So the memories can’t be vague OR precise?

What’s left? And why are half a dozen separate people lying to frame an innocent man?

yeah I was thinking there were legal constraints- however it still stands that the DNA samples will be able to provide some clear direction on the ethnic background of their owners - presumably French and Irish in the main

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,371 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

They don't have the ring of realistic memories.

Either adding unbelievable very precise details…
    Or so vague that don't actually directly identify Ian Bailey.

Memories that only popped up years later, and people didn't think worth mentioning when Sophie was murdered or Bailey arrested.

Look at the innocuous nature of the meeting Alfie and Leo are supposed to remember, Alfie in vague detail - like what does 90% even mean?
    It didn't happen just before the murder, it was distant in time.
    A brief social introduction, utterly inconsequential at the time.

No one else recalls Alfie and Leo mentioning this when Bailey was arrested, it would have been the talk of the town!

They don't all have to be lying. Memory plays tricks, and these are not immediate memories, but recalled years later.
    And police forces are well know for 'prompting' witnesses, guiding 'memories'.

Do you believe the testimony of Marie Farrell? If not, why was she lying?

Post edited by odyssey06 on

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Evergreen_7

no, there really isn’t. They would have to extract a new dna sample and generate autosomal results which can be used in this way. Existing samples wouldn’t do.

Agree

That's the way I'm thinking

Narcissistic, fantasist , violent would-be poet bailey

Attractive mysterious curt/rude french lady

It wouldn't take much to spark his interest there and the outcome is predictable

Shw would have 0 interest in him or his poetry

All speculation as usual

Ah well if we are to believe he burnt stuff

Who's to say he kept those writings

I already put forward theories as to way he may have feigned ignorance of Sophie

People feign ignorance or disinterest when there is an interest or attraction

Ita niave to be certain he would be straight up in this regard

The discussion turns into a punch and Judy style debate when posters dismiss things as nonsense when that is clearly not the case

You merely have a different opinion or viewpoint

Your opinion isn't FACT

This discussion is mostly speculation and opinion

Try to remember that

It also might be the case that none of what you’ve posted ever happened - and that he’s completely innocent of any wrongdoing against her - much easier to believe in my view than going down these elaborate theory routes - show me hard evidence and I’ll instantly change my position but these “theories” are fine if you wish to spend your time dreaming them up but don’t expect them to catch on

You have your position and I have mine

Either may be wrong

Other than that you're basically ranting that you're right and I'm wrong

Punch and judy style discussion

Where have I ranted?

You seem to be offended that someone doesn’t accept your “theory” - well there will be others too so I wouldn’t waste much energy on that.

I’m just stating such theories are far fetched especially as there’s zero evidence to support them. You’re the person who dreamed up this narcissist reaction of Baileys espying Sophie from afar and developing a fixation with her.- it’s not something I’d “rant” about, I just find the whole theory comical if I’m honest 🤪

Agree 

That's the way I'm thinking 

Narcissistic, fantasist , violent would-be poet bailey

Attractive mysterious curt/rude french lady 

It wouldn't take much to spark his interest there and the outcome is predictable”

One would think that if Bailey was thinking the police would want to see his journals, he would have burnt what Elio Malocco found.

• Advertisement

Don't know what that is

Are you disputing that bailey may have burnt anything incriminating in his diaries

I believe it's a possibility

It's not a FACT

Advertisement