Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia-Ukraine War (Threadbanned in op)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

That is true. On your question, I suppose that is for the countries to weigh up the costs and benefits + decide what they want.

Realistically the world is a far more hostile and nasty place than it was for all of the members in the more optimistic period when the last EU treaty changes happened.

There might always be 1 or more countries with corrupt governments that can be bought off or just bullied to veto EU decisions by external powers that are much stronger than even largest EU member states.

The situation won't change if or when the EU takes on even more members in the future, the problem just becomes worse.

So if the members want the EU decision making to remain effective in face of powerful outside influences trying to corrupt it to act in their favour or block decisions, they may have to accept the loss of sovereignty that goes with making more of the Council decisions by mechanisms like qualified majority vote vs allowing a national veto.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭scottser

Russia is spending the guts of €6bn per MONTH on the war in Ukraine. You'd be deluded to think this is in any way sustainable.

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

I agree with the points of your post.
    I struggle to comprehend how the Russian economy is still able to keep going. The Ruble is still around .10 to the dollar. I know the figures released are bullshit, but economy is still functioning day to day for the people albeit with higher inflation. Russia was not a very rich country to begin with. This war is hugely expensive for them. Are they taking secret loans from other friendly countries like India, China? Are they draining their oligarchs dry? Has the west any understanding of how they are doing this, and how long it can last?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,531 ✭✭✭jmreire

Yes, apparently, there is no procedure for ejecting undesirable members who continually act on behalf of unfriendly foreign governments as we are now seen all too frequently, but article 7 allows for suspension of voting rights for violating EU principles. And this can and would effectively end that country's participation in EU affairs,but is not officially kicking them out of the EU as such. A change in EU Law needs to be introduced. It should have been foreseen from day 1, but with future EU enlargement on the cards, it needs to be legislated for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭pcardin

stripping off veto and voting rights is already something

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭thatsdaft

Orban now planning to flood EU with Russian immigrants and saboteurs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Field east

and what about freezing /postponing/CANCELLINGgrant or budget contribution payments?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,314 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

What is there to be gained for Russia from a direct conflict with the UK or others ?

With Ukraine they are trying to take land which they seem to believe is their right, and even for a fraction of Ukraine it takes a huge number of men and mobilizations.

What can they do with the UK? Fire some missiles and then receive missiles straight back again ?

You are asking sensible questions just like people were asking sensible questions before this war started of why would Putin start a war, yet he did.

Look at events today, acts of sabotage on rail network on opening of Olympics in Paris

What would you think would happen if a Russian gang paid by boss back home derails a busy passenger train in UK causing deaths of hundreds? Wars have started over less, only matter of time before Putin commits yet another fatal mistake (first one was starting this war) which can lead to an unpredictable chain of events

The generals in UK are worried, then again it’s their job to worry, and we live in a world where there is a terrorist state waging largest war in Europe already

• Registered Users Posts: 13,976 ✭✭✭✭josip

Although they can't be kicked out of the EU, they can be suspended from the Schengen area I believe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,250 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Hopefully the Hungarians will take matters into their own hands where Orban is concerned.

The guy makes Bertie Ahern look like a choir boy when it comes to corruption and he's utterly despised in urban areas like Budapest. There's been a lot of protests against Orban in the past year, hopefully something will come of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭kal7

I really hope they are draining pockets of Oligarchs, to fund the pointless war.

but I doubt it will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,566 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Vladimir Arsenyev, president of the Volna Central Research Institute, which develops communication systems for Russian warships, aviation and infantry set himself on fire in Red Square, Moscow today.

Now they need to be implemented to the maximum! Make Hungary EU membership be devoid of any kind of power. This needs to be done to show everyone that the EU is not just another toothless behemoth. And that actions have consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭paul71

I could look this up I am sure but just as a matter of interest which grouping do Orbans party sit with in the European Parliament? And with which Irish party ? Or do I have a memory of them expelled from the group?

Russia does not fight fair and square like that. Their attacks will take many different forms but with one thing in common: - Deniability. Same as the attacks on the French rail system, hacking of national and business centre computer systems, cutting under sea cable's etc. Designed to cause the maximum disturbance with the minimum effort. But make no mistake about it, it's a war.

Their own country is so sh1te run by a sh1tehawk. That rather than improve it. Putin would rather the rest of the world especially those with freedoms be terrorised and pursued to be made worse than Russia. Master troll and mini me trolls.

" There are also short scenes about gruesome deaths that befall top state propaganda influencers like Channel One anchor Vladimir Solovyov or RT chief editor Margarita Simonyan. The latter is presumably eaten by a colleague in her office, where she planned to hide out during the pandemic, while the former is not-so-accidentally killed by one of the main characters."

A novel called Mouse (“Miysh’”) has been banned in Russia. It is set in Russia in 2020 with the country coming under a zombie apocalypse. In it Putin would like to live to be 120 years old as said by his advisor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭Polar101

According to my script, a big 12.5% increase in Russian economy again!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,781 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I'm sure of the exact current status, but after the recent EU elections the leader of the Austrian far right party* announced they were planning a new coalition group at the EU parliament level with Orban's party and other far right groups.. the Czechs I think.

*Also very Russian friendly and on the verge of getting into power in Austria at the next election.

• Advertisement

It must make them absolutely irate that the whole world is busy celebrating sports and peace this evening and their warmongering, cheating and doping comrades are not invited.

Just shows how far Russia has fallen; culturally, politically, sporting, militarily, scientifically, socially and economically

A bunch of barbarians with nothing positive to offer the world anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Not sure that is a "pro Putin" policy,I reckon they are trying to keep any possible army candidates in the country,at the rate of casualties.

Another way of viewing this is Putin and Lukashenko have been flying in migrants from the middle east and Africa where their own military are active. Flying them in and giving Russian passports and then using these as an army attacking the Polish, Finns, eu border.

Orban tries to play himself as a clever Russian in politics that is talking at both ends of his body. He got himself elected as anti immigration but he's pro Russian who are pushing emigrants into Europe. Now he wants to circumvent the Polish border and allow the emigrants direct access to Hungary.

He's the dopiest politician but thinks he's a clever Russian.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,406 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

do you not have an outdated view of the Olympics, it seems to be going down the Eurovision route, getting quite camp and less relevant, it will be easy enough for the Russian media to paint the Olympics as something they dont want to be a part of

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

For many athletes it's still viewed as the peak of their career to even participate. Pretty sure it'll still be one of the most viewed events globally, including the opening ceremony. So I don't think it's becoming less relevant.

And for Russia, I imagine the cheating made them feel like the best of men etc. The complaint about it being "camp" feels more like some weird personal grievances.

the point is their media can paint it in a bad light so it will be the view they have

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭doyle55

• Registered Users Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭Polar101

It's always alternate reality time on Russian media, so nothing new there.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭I.am.Putins.raging.bile.duct

Unless the Olympic committee introduce shooting civilians, hospitals and stealing organs as competitive sports I don't see the point in letting the russians back in anyway.

• Advertisement

you are missing the point, if the argument was they would be crying into their vodka because they are not allowed participate, that's unlikely because they will be told by their media that they dodged one, basic logic

Advertisement