Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game News 2.0

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,874 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,140 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Interesting times ahead. MS not exactly known for making good studio decisions lately… But at least it means they probably can't just shut the studio down on a whim now, so good for the employees!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,450 ✭✭✭RedXIV

hopefully this is very rapidly replicated across the industry, the faster the better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,633 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

In a surprise, SNK VS Capcom has been released on Steam with Switch and PS4 versions being released on Monday.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,619 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Nice. Im guessing it's to tie in with SNK characters coming to sf6.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,189 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I'm not a fighting game player but I'm surprised Tatsunoko Vs Capcom is still exclusive to Wii. Maybe with the above announcement and the MvC games announcement, this could be the next one? I'm sure licensing is a big issue though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

This feels like a corrupted wish for all of us clamouring for Capcom vs SNK revival. Low-key fond of SNK's version of the crossover, but really isn't a patch on what Capcom did with their two crossovers.

I'd really love if Capcom got back into the crossover business. They seem to have gotten cold feet since SF X Tekken flopped and MvC4 underperformed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,619 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I know the western release of that had to have characters changed due to licensing so I'd say it's still an issue. The arcade hardware was based on the Wii which explains why it was on that platform but it's also an incredible fighting game that deserves a bigger audience.

Teh creators of chibi robo have a Kickstarter for a spiritual successor, koRobo:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tinywonderstudio/korobo

If you don't remember chibi robo I don't blame you. It was a very late GameCube game and I remember a lot of people even having trouble getting a copy in bricks and mortar stores at the time. It was a bit like toy story with you playing as the cute chibi robo and helping various toys around the house while also helping the family in the house get through a difficult time in their marriage and try and help them avoid divorce.

There were sequels that never came out here and a few spin offs on DS and 3DS that I figure did badly. The original was a very interesting game and lot of fun although it probably needed a few more weeks to sand down the rough edges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,633 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

IGN doing IGN things. How many is that they've laid off this year?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,582 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Going by the Aftermath reporting, the stated reason for the closure is… games take some time to develop.

**** IGN and **** industry consolidation, man.

https://aftermath.site/humble-games-layoffs-closure-ziff-davis-ign

Has me worried about Eurogamer. Everything ziff Davis touches goes to **** and I still remember them slowly taking 1up and EGM apart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,450 ✭✭✭RedXIV

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,582 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Following Bethesda, the World of Warcraft team is the latest to unionise over at mega-Microsoft Corp 💪🏻

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Fallout: London is finally out, though sounds like Bethesda's next-gen update was never properly worked around, so installing requires a bit of hacking 🙄

Everything I've read of this has sounded like it really deserved some official support & help; it may yet, 'cos the sheer size of work & effort remains incredible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,140 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Surprised Beth/MS didn't jump on the opportunity to use fans work to sell like the creation club stuff.

I'd nearly give it a go, but if it still feels like FO4 then meh. It's a 9 year old game, so while it's still pretty good, it's a good bit behind modern now. Then again maybe these lads have figured out a way to make it feel fresh.

Also love that all the newly MS owned studios are unionising up! They feel what's coming and are protecting themselves, and rightfully so!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,547 ✭✭✭✭Varik

The Voice actors voted for strike during the big Hollywood strike but they're going on strike now.

The last contract expired a long while ago, and that was renewed a time or 2. Didn't get really anything of what they wanted the last time and it was the longest or one of the longest strikes in the unions history.

Now they've to deal with AI on top of that, don't seem to be looking for royalties this time. Said they were able to agree to "historic wage increases and additional safety provisions" but they said the same last time when they eventually accepted the practically the same deal they were offered at the start.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

If like me you read this and went WTF is Skibidi Toilet? then congrats we're both utterly obsolescent and/or the world has gone mad.

I have a neuro divergent nephew so I know too much about skibidi toilet....

• Advertisement

Also, looks like the Netflix Bioshock movie - which I had completely forgotten was even a thing wot was happening - is gonna be shot in someone's bathroom and probably starring whoever got off the bus from Canada:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,874 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Have to say, I like the idea of a low budget Bioshock.

I suppose it kinda depends on how low budget they're proposing; hopefully there's still a sense of the scale of Rapture (I presume it's to be set there?) and it as a place and it's not just the movie equivalent of a Bottle Episode.

Lets face it, it's going to be ****. Was probably about to be shelves until they saw fallout doing numbers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,189 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I know it's got the second season coming, but how did Twisted Metal do?

As far as recent live action series based on games, there's been success in Fallout and The Last of Us, then there was Resident Evil and Halo.

When I see the words "Netflix Film" I just assume it's hot trash til proven otherwise.

Oh my god I had forgotten there was that Resident Evil TV show. Blimey. At least the movie series left an imprint; sometimes the only thing worse than bad is mediocre; the terrible can at least be memorable.

Netflix spending less money is only a good thing, given nobody has wasted as much money on expensive drivel.

Worst case scenario, they'll be wasting less money on drivel.

I see a soul reaver 1 and 2 remaster has been announced. Definitely some fans of block pushing puzzles with vampires here.

Would love if they gave it to the recent TR remake team and also let them add in all the cut content.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭Cordell

There's no need for big budget, it's mostly small sets, no location, or at most one location at sea. Troy studios?

I've better expectations from this than from the Borderlands film, especially after seeing the cast of the latter.

• Advertisement

For some strange reason castle crashers is getting DLC. It's one of the early 360 downloadable game darlings that I always thought was kind of crap but in an age when people were starved of its genre it sufficed. Just really weird it's getting new content nearly 20 years after it released.

Advertisement