Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Etiquette while commuting on public trasport

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭p_haugh

Most people just stick on noise cancelling headphones, look at their phone and barely notice what is going on around them

First hand experience of this yesterday morning - I got on an S4 from UCD and it filled to the brim with Language exchange students by the 2nd stop. It was the usual case of it being quite loud due to them all chatting away, but once I threw on my noise cancelling headphones it was barely noticeable!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,296 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The thing about the plane is if the "undesirables" act out, their holiday is over, or they are marooned somewhere to cool their heels.

There are unpleasant consequences for acting the bollix on a flight or at an airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,818 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Was offering a bit of perspective, it's very uncomfortable to be stuck in a flying metal tube for like 4 hours or so and you can't move, you can't press the bell and get off at the next stop… Even if the plane does divert the disruption and delay is massive…

• Registered Users Posts: 5,580 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Yes the bus is cheaper indeed. However its not enough cheaper.

Indeed it can be more expensive if I am travelling with more than 1 other person to a social thing.

Also it can be slower than driving if you include the last mile stuff of getting to the driveway/office from your stop. Door to door, the car is mostly faster. Ive done a few tests of this in Lucan where the bus was a 10 minute walk as was the office from the stop in town.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

unless you do what I’ve done and not even buy a car in the first place.

Buying and owning a car is damn expensive, I save thousands a year by not owning a car, perhaps even 10k!

The savings really add up, but I totally appreciate that not everyone is as lucky as me to live in an area with good, reliable bus service.

But the point is you are only looking at the costs above after you have already spent thousands on buying the car in the first place and insuring it and taxing it and parking it and fuelling it and repairing it.

If you skip all that, boy do the savings add up.

• Advertisement

The cost of private car ownership would get you a decade of Bus travel!!

Investment in driving lessons.

Testing

Car purchase price

Insurance

Taxation

Fuel

Maintenance

Depreciation.

Parking charges

Toll charges

• Registered Users Posts: 5,580 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Its a fair trade in terms of time and cash investment, all worth it and more. The flexibility of being able go anywhere anytime regardless of how many people and things i am bringing and being able to dictate which way i go and who i sit with.

Parking? You can park 10 minutes walk away if you dont want to pay it. Ive not paid to park in years. Tolls, same. Avoid by going a different route if not in a hurry.

You dont see many CEOs riding the subway, even the ones who care about the environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭csirl

Mobile phone noise is mild compared to what you see on the Luas red line.

How about a group of teens going around punching random passengers in the face while one of their mates films it?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,442 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

get on…select seat, if seat prebooked I make sure I’m in the correct one…stow jacket, bag etc efficiently, phone on silent…headphones on if solo…. adjacent seat left free of any of my stuff and nobody has to go to the trouble of contacting me to ask me to move anything…if I need to show a ticket for inspection I have it readily available, wallet , shirt pocket or screenshot from app and I’m not faffing about… if solo travelling on TGV or Eurostar, first class or standard premier and the solo seat, a god send…. Nobody beside or facing you….

Except it's not really, the cost to the individual, the cost to the state, the cost to the environment.. cost to public safety....huge!

"CEOs riding the subway" Well we don't have subway's in Ireland.. And if you look at all the soulless cities in the USA with massive wide roads and car parks littering the streets Vs. City centres in Europe and I'll take the "Subway" every day..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 The Mathematician

In addition to this, I think the 'flexibility' and 'freedom' the car brings can be an illusion a lot of the time (depending on where you live of course). The number of times I have heard car owners say they won't go into Dublin due to the traffic or due to parking problems is huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,862 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

I lived for a year in London and you really did see the "CEO riding the Subway". Every colour, class, creed and religon used it. The Underground is such a speedy, reliable, BS-free and convenient service.

Back here I'm mad to use public transport but I just can't depend on it. Phathom buses have become the norm and as this thread highlights it's not an enjoyable experience at all.

I used to swear by the Aircoach. It was a service I would wax lyrical about. But in the last few years the standard of service and timetable on offer has just tanked. All whilst the Greens were at the helm.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I used to swear by the Aircoach. It was a service I would wax lyrical about. But in the last few years the standard of service and timetable on offer has just tanked. All whilst the Greens were at the helm.

That unfortunately seems to be largely due to terrible new management at Aircoach who have no previous experience of operating bus or coach services!

Depending on where you are going take Dublin Express instead (or Citylink if heading to Cork/Galway) excellent, reliable services like the Aircoach of old.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,732 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

I'm not sure what the Green Party has to do with the performance of a private company operating a commercial bus licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,211 ✭✭✭✭zell12

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Steve Allen

Was just about to post that Guardian piece.

I think a few stickers on the buses, with the odd announcement, would be a good place to start. The announcements re speaking to the driver - haven't seen someone speak to a driver since the 80s

Advertisement