Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Olympic Games Paris 2024 - AH Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Needmoretea

Interesting opening ceremony! A lot of work gone onto it and we're less than an hour in. Pity about the crap weather

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Didn't expect a bit of metal 🤘

Bit of an Epica sound off that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

Thought pride month was in June

• Registered Users Posts: 8,597 ✭✭✭Speak Now

French gone all in on vibrant colours, enjoying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Threesome going on there. This is mad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Expunge

A mistake by RTE to use two sports heads as commentators for this. Reading the supplied notes as commentary.

They should have invited along a Paris based journalist/ arts person for a bit more background/colour in the commentary.

This is not a sports event at the moment. It's like Macnas getting a blank cheque for a gig in Galway arts festival.

Yeah BBC is the same, few colonial notes from Wikipedia.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,128 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

One sympathises as the downpours pass through Dublin

I like the concept of the river festival ceremony, but it loses a lot of the impact of a stadium ceremony, with the athletes walking and jogging and dancing by.

I don't think Danny Boyle's London 2012 masterpiece will ever be surpassed honestly.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭jimjangles

What is this the gaylimpics now?

I had enough, I tuned out after 2 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,971 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

The logistics of organising this opening is giving me a headache. In awe of the ambition and execution. Redefining the concept

• Advertisement

We're in the Eurovision section now 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 8,495 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

I was just thinking Marty Whelan would be more of a fit, with his Eurovision experience

• Registered Users Posts: 14,267 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

This is class, makes me want to visit Paris again was only there once 2 years ago and was blown away by how amazing the place is. Agree with larbre34, London ceremony was incredible and I was living there during those Olympics.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Expunge

Marty is another one for the supplied script and no fcuking clue about anything. He enjoys the hospitality on offer, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭RurtBeynolds

Outraged at the gays on the telebox! Would you ever grow up.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Needmoretea

Yes, definite bang of Eurovision with some of those features!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,645 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Think is brilliant IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭appledrop

My favourite city in the world, we used to go loads before we had kids, honestly you need to go back because always so much to do and also when you have been a few times you don't feel your missing out by just relaxing at a Cafe and people watching like the Parisians!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,731 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Seems to lean heavily on the geographical locations indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,954 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Weather has turned a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

This opening ceremony is not doing it for me. The planning and logistics that must’ve gone into it doesn’t seem worth it. Always loved seeing each country walk into the stadium and the joy on the athletes faces seeing the huge crowd was a sight to behold. Can’t really see the national costumes properly either.

I'm really enjoying this, something different rather than the athletes just walking around the stadium. I don't think you will beat London though but I like the way this is embracing the heart of Paris.

Don't think they expected the torrential rain though, you can hear it through the camera mic, reminds me of a wet St. Patrick's Day parade 😃

• Registered Users Posts: 14,267 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Yes so many of those cafes with chairs facing outwards. We stayed in Oberkampf which was such a cool area.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,365 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I’m 20 minutes behind, but this is absolutely fantastic

• Registered Users Posts: 39,954 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The Finnish female flag holder wanted to keep that flag.

I'm kinda dreading seeing Ireland in our uniform😲. The photos I seen looks dreadful, total mismatch with loads of different style jackets and horrendous trousers, maybe the rain will hide how awful it looks😁

• Registered Users Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭archfi

The buildings in Paris on show are magnificent! It really is beautiful. Love the music

It’s been good so far but London 2012 not beaten so far. That’s still the pinnacle of opening ceremonies

Bloody rain but what can anyone do about that

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭StevenToast

The chinese opening ceremony was far better than the overrated brit one.

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Advertisement

OMG did that BBC commentary really say that about the Northern Ireland title😱

Advertisement