Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shane Lowry - 2019 Champion Golfer of The Year (note first post please for posting guidance)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,836 ✭✭✭Trampas

I assume you’re just trying to stir it with Rory carrying the flag

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,171 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Not at all…I think Shane is the right choice and I doubt Rory would have been up for it anyway but if they could have incorporated an Ulster flag into it; it may have been a possibility. If he wins gold he'll have to stand for the national anthem and the tricolour in any case

Was Rory even on the boat? Wouldn’t be surprised if he’s in Dubai or back home in Florida or up the north

• Registered Users Posts: 9,640 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Good hopefully he’ll pick up a medal as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Only a small portion of the total team were on the boat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

It's completely undeserved.Remember Shane skipped the Olympics in 2016 which shows you how important they really are to him.

The flag bearers should be from people who the sport is the absolute pinnacle not golf where it's just a bit of a novelty event.

Loads more deserving people than him on the team who could have been flag bearers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭big_drive

I'm not a big fan of having golf in the Olympics. To me an Olympic gold medal should be the highest possible achievement in any athlete's career. In golf it might not be even in the top 10 tournaments a professional golfer would have an ambition to win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,512 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Ah but that doesn’t fit with the narrative tying to be spun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭hold my beer

He's one of our most high profile sports people, and always flys the flag proudly on our behalf on the international stage, with a smile on his face for the most part. 2 excellent flag bearers chosen by the Team Ireland.

This is the Olympics though, they should be prioritizing genuine Olympic athletes for whim the Olympics is the pinnacle.

Also he wasn't so proud to fly the flag in 2016.

It's nonsense it being an Olympic event.

More deserving sports where it would be a big deal would be better placed to be in the Olympics, some sports have lost out on medal events in order to squeeze in some of the new sports like golf.

Golf , soccer , tennis (and a few others) may be in the Olympics but they're miles off the pinnacle for those sports and so aren't really a true Olympic event (or what a lot of people would consider a true Olympic event) where it's the be all and end all.

For most athletes in the Olympics this is their life's ambition to go to the Olympics and compete and win a medal hopefully, this is not the case for golf.

Yeah that's a different argument and one I have no interest in debating. Shane is on Team Ireland and perfectly entitled to be.

Good man Shane Lowry, Cmon Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

I love Shane, but Jack Daw is right and I wish some of these super wealthy professional sports stars like LeBron James and Shane would have the consideration to grab as little of the lime light as possible in the Olympics.

They are no more true Olympians than I am, and they do not represent what the Olympics were intended to be. People have no shame these days. If I was Shane I'd honestly be embarrassed to meet someone like Adeleke in the Olympic village as if he is some sort of olympic role model. Deary me.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,342 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Deary me , indeed. Somebody had to picked ..one man one woman athlete as with most countries if not all. If not him it would have been another saga about someone else.

Well done Shane , and am sure he will do Ireland proud !

The flag bearing is over now .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

He does Ireland proud playing a professional sport to an extremely high level. He is not an Olympian though.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

• Advertisement

I thought it was a maximum 2 players from every country for the Olympics men’s golf. It looks like there’s 3 USA players in it? Scheffler Schaufelle and Morikawa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭abff

The qualification rules state that the top 15 players on the OWGR are eligible for the Olympic Games, up to a maximum of four golfers from a single country.

There are actually four players from the USA in the 2024 Olympics - Wyndham Clark is also playing. Without the four player limit, there would be ten golfers in total from the USA as Cantlay, DeChambeau, Theegala, Henley, Hartman and Homa were all in the top 15 at the cut off point

After the top 15, the Olympic Golf Rankings (OGR) consist of up to the top two eligible players per country, as long as that country does not already have at least two players in the top 15.

The overall field is restricted to the top 60 based on the above criteria.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,064 ✭✭✭bren2001

He's represented Ireland in the olympics in 2021 and this year. He is indeed an olympian. It is a fact and isn't subjective in any way.

If I was Shane I'd honestly be embarrassed to meet someone like Adeleke in the Olympic village as if he is some sort of olympic role model.

lol

Seriously. He qualified like everyone else. He's entitled to go. There's no reason to be embarrassed. Like zero reason.

Not a great day for Shane. 8 off the lead. A real open stance on putting for the little I saw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 257 ✭✭Dan Steely

A nothing round today until an eagle on the last from the fairway bunker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭dublin49

will be hoping for low round tomorrow on foot of that bit of good luck,Shane is an emotional player and could feed off this big break.Not goin to win but top 10 will do,

• Advertisement

Kind of lost his way last couple of weeks.

I see he hit a provo on one hole. Did they tell him they weren’t going to look for his ball

Read my post and said I’ll show you.

Hi Shane. Didn’t realise you read this thread

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Second best round of the day in progress and still no tv coverage. Maybe when there’s only 30 next week we might get to see one shot.

He’s outside the top 20 until last birdie so why should he be in the coverage. Players higher up the leaderboard on the course. Yes they could have maybe shown a few shots but I guess he’s paying for having a poor round yesterday

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I think they just show the same 5 or 6 every round now. Very few outside Scheffler, Shauffle and a few more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

Detry is having a nightmare. Wonder how that plays in Shane's mind. Seems to be holding it together so far

Wow, that just massive over clubbing on the 11th. Caddie wtf

is Shane driving about 20 yards than he used to. He always hit about the 310 mark , but he seems to be hitting 330 to 340 recently

altitude of the course. Air is lighter so ball goes further

a cool half a million for finishing in last place this week. after that everything else is a bonus. Scottie not looking as imperious as earlier in the year. Xander looking like possibly the favorite

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭coillcam

Lowry bagged a $2m bonus for finishing 10th on regular season standings. Nice work.

Hovland had some performance last year in the last two events. It's one weekend of golf, so be super aggressive and with a bit of luck there's a big payday. Rory reeled in Scheffler in the year before with a pretty epic finish whereas Hovland's form was a career peak. Schauffele had a -19 to match Hovland last year but his starting rank was too low and ceded too many shots.

Have to be favouring the in-form golfers over last month or so. Aberg, Hideki, Scheffler, Schauffele have the right form and season to be hard to see past. Even Burns enters the discussion with consecutive top 5s. Hard to see Rory piece together 4 good rounds.

The field needs Scheffler, Schauffele and Hideki to take a tumble early. Would love to see Aberg shoot the lights out early doors, he's absolutely class.

Saw an interesting fact. Aberg can become the first winner of the Fedex to not win a single event all season. He can win it without having to even win this weekend.

I know an unlikely event, but bizarre possibility

Awful start today. I guess just go through the motions until finish on Sunday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭GolfPar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

The Big Man is putting together a great round today. He's so accurate off the tee these days. Looking like there could be a big pay day coming up for him.

Ha, actually jinxed him. Bogey after finding the rough.

Being young is a great advantage, since we see the world from a new perspective and we are not afraid to make radical changes - Greta Thunburg

• Advertisement

Super day for Shane. Get on the Offaly man. He is capable of great things

Got to give credit to Shane. His driving accuracy is superb. If he could get the same accuracy out of his irons he really is up there with the best of them

• Subscribers Posts: 41,915 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Top 10 fed ex finish is a great ending to a decent season for Shane.

looks like 1.5 mill today added to 2 mill he got for finishing top 10 fedex so nice end of season for him.Has to be most lucrative season so far for him,

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭sliabh 1956

With all his winnings this weekend he will surely ask Davy Fitz to manage the Offaly hurlers at some stage😀

He seemed to drive the ball well this week,chipped well,played par 5s decently and got some putts to drop.Hope Stats dont make a liar of me but that was my impression.

Looking at his stats his scrambling and putting are where he’s struggling. Would have thought his scrambling would be better especially what you hear on comms but I guess stats don’t lie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

He has good touch for a big man as they say 😉

They definitely over egg his chipping on the broadcast, it's decent but he's nowhere near the best.

Rory, Scottie and Xander are incredible around the greens.

His scrambling stats are mostly affected by his worse than average putting though I'd say. He often hits good to decent chips to 3/4 feet but doesn't always hold them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭Adiaga 2

Saw last week that he's number 1 on the PGA Tour for 3-putt avoidance. Up to 359 consecutive holes without a 3-putt. He's obviously a brilliant lag putter. I was a bit surprised because he seems to miss his fair share of short putts. Would love to see him pick up a win before the end of the year. Very good year overall though.

https://www.pgatour.com/stats/detail/483

• Advertisement

He said himself on a YouTube clip I watched not long ago that people talk about his short game but that it's actually the worst part of his game, and the stats don't lie.

From his perspective its his approach/iron game that he reckons is his biggest strength

Advertisement