Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carpetright Ireland closing ??

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭drury..

It's usually the other way round

UK always seems slow to switch from imperial in other areas

• Registered Users Posts: 34,986 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

UK construction trades went fully metric ~50 years ago

that's why you get all the 2440x1220mm sheets of chipboard 😉

I wanted some fully metric measuring tapes (why the only ones you can get here are useless on one side, beats me). No problem getting them from the UK though, pre-Brexit.

Another funny one - about 15 years ago we were getting our kitchen tiled. Tiler measured up in feet and inches and VERY laboriously converted that to sq yd, and then the conversion factor to sq m. Fair enough, he's old school…

We went to the tile shop, told them how many sq m we needed. Prices were in sq yd (how is that legal?). They converted to sq yd to give us a price. But of course the tiles came from Spain and each box was 1/2 a square metre… you couldn't make idiocy like this up.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Markd518

Just seen Ted Baker closing all stores in 3 weeks.....

Homebase is in talks to be sold

Alot of uk chains seems to be shutting up shop here

• Registered Users Posts: 68,898 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Homebase Ireland is in separate talks to be sold to B&Q, they have next to no store overlap so should keep most or all open if they do.

UK domestic economy is in bits

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Markd518

Would probably take over the Irish stores and rebrand them all to B&Q

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,898 ✭✭✭✭L1011

That's the intent, yes. The UK parent was not (officially…) up for sale which this process started.

Could still fall through.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,986 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

In the longer run we will probably see more EU chains here instead of UK... Decathlon for one is doing well. I'll get my tiniest violin out for the UK's reaping of what they sowed.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭JVince

Nowt to do with Ireland per se.

We are in the EU, the UK is not. It adds a few extra layers of administration for what is a very small market.

The only thing we have in common is the same language.

Plenty of European retailers looking to open here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭drury..

Advertisement