Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Olympic Games Paris 2024 - AH Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,371 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Aye... knew when to show a bit of knowledge... when to throw in a witty remark at the absurdity of it and when to shut up.

Now we just need more details on what the unnamed 'Irish gymnast' did to test out these cardboard beds.

Ps There is only one gymnast in the Irish delegation!

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,415 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,509 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Anyone have the video of the dancer falling off the stage during Lady Gaga?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,949 ✭✭✭spookwoman

It should also be for the athletes, not event without them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,513 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Eurosport commentators didn't recognise Tony Parker, and also thought it was the French pole vaulter when it turned out to be a guy with a prostetic leg.

Not a great start to the Olympics!

Also the boring Thomas Bach speech sucked the life out of it, while Macron would have made a better speech if allowed!

Let the games begin!

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C95ZvkhNA7H/?igsh=MTNheHlja3k2aWU2bQ==

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Jimbo789

he was buying pints for all the Irish athletes tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭top floor

• Registered Users Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Thought it was a bit naff. I wasn't a fan of all the "cool" dancing. Didn't really hold my attention. Spent most of the time on my phone. Liked the balloon/flame yoke though.

The upside down flag raising was entertaining.

• Advertisement

Was it supposed to be one of the four horsemen of the apocalypse

• Registered Users Posts: 13,649 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Agreed .

Luminous .

Was thinking all the poor people getting hair and makeup etc done and now to be washed out !

This was so joyous, and shows Paris off in its best light .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,415 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

I'd say if they would do it again, they'd stick with a stadium.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

Don't think there was enough drag in this Olympic ceremony, drag is at the heart of the Olympics and one of the major tenets of the Olympic movement and there were not enough people in drag as part of the olympic ceremony.

I mean the ancient Greeks invented gayness so drag and queerness should have been at the forefront of this opening ceremony and it wasn't it only played a small/medium sized part when it should have been a major part.

Very disappointing from the organising committee.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭mrpdap

I doubt it, was a fab event and showed off Paris so well. Gonna be a hard act to follow

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Nightwing1862

I don't think it was. It's a nice idea to have one of the other athletes do it but you're actually putting a whole load more pressure on them. They then have to field a million questions about pride etc when they'd rather just focus on preparing for their event. Some of them may not event want to go to the ceremony. Lowry has built up a lot of media experience and would be well used to those sort of questions. Tbh I'd consider it a fairly savvy move by team ireland.

You can see the same thing with the other countries. Their flag bearers tended to be established athletes. Tom Daley GB, Lebron James USA, Giannis Antetokounmpo Greece, spring to mind from tonight's ceremony.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭appledrop

It's been a good night, thanks for the chats everyone, let the games begin!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,802 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

The best part of all that was the Gojira part, was absolutely epic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

Nah, that was magnifique . Much better than your usual opening shite tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

I loved the minions. They cracked me up.

https://x.com/i/status/1816910454104698982

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,365 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Interesting too that they only brought in Craig Doyle to present the opening ceremony..

I was watching from the start (4:30pm) on Eurosport and he was sure to remind his fellow host and guests that they were also broadcasting into Ireland as well as the U.K., and he did mention Irish athletes whenever he could…

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

I would say most hearts (stone or otherwise) had switched off long before the finale.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,365 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Darragh Maloney is trending on Twitter for all the wrong reasons….

The few times I did watch on RTÉ he was absolutely brutal…

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Say what you want about Maloney, he wasn't yapping over Gojira (Eurosport were)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

just getting to watch it now on Eurosport. I’m on the S’s. The boats on the Seine is class

D

I

S

C

O

🕺🏼

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭GPoint

some farce of a ceremony, thought it was some Eurovision crap when turned it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭archfi

I didn't even notice as I really wasn't interested in the boring, overlong 'fashion show' bit on the bridge (the music was great) but it's getting a heap of backlash over being an extreme mockery of The Last Supper which I think no one can deny.

Poor, very poor taste on behalf of the organisers.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

showing flame part now on Eurosport

And the cool horsey

• Registered Users Posts: 15,250 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I watched a lot of it, mainly out of interest because it was not going to be a typical opening ceremony.

The thing about these ceremonies is that they rightly focus on the culture of the host, and if you're not familiar with the culture of the host they can be a bit meh

I didn't know who the heavy metal band were, I didn't know who the famous French women that they had statues of were, I didn't know who the woman singing the national anthem on the roof was, I knew what the Can-Can was, but just about.

So even though the production itself and the use of Paris was good, it was all a bit meh except for the torch relay and the light show at the Eiffel Tower.

This is where for the likes of me London 2012 was different.

Because British culture is omnipresent in Ireland I knew all the cultural references in the London opening ceremony, the bands, the music, the references to the history and places in the UK.

It made for a much more interesting and memorable opening ceremony, but only because I was familiar with the culture already.

French people probably loved tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,267 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

All of that was fantastic. Well done Gay Paris!

Advertisement