Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slowing down/aging

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭C0N0R

Double post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,447 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

I'm almost 40 and feel nothing different. 40s are prime still surely, not like we're doing olympics.

Depends on your circumstances. Perhaps you never worked particularly hard in the first place to get tired as you aged😉

Butters not bad for you at all, but too much of it is. Half a pound on the spuds will fairly soak up the calories. What the app does is educate, if you can reduce your calorie intake without it then you’re grand, but some people don’t realise how much they’re eating. No such thing as good or bad foods, just too much of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Herself believes In all full fat butters, cheeses, yoghurts etc and is like a whippet. I think it's all modern foods and sauces with a higher standard of living. Nobody wants hardship anymore! It's very noticeable in around the towns people carrying a few extra pounds, doesn't seem as bad around the countryside( easy access perhaps to fast food)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,822 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

IIf You want to.lose weight go on the low carb diet. Basically you cut out anything with sugar, bread, potatoes, pasta rice etc.

Lost nearly 30 ponds between late January and first of May. Smoked fish for breakfast with tomato, mushroom potched egg, or an omelette, fry etc

Lunch is a salad usually make it in a small lunch box, lettuce, onion tomato, cucumber, chickpeas,( they are great) or beetroot a meat source and grated cheese with full fat mayonnaise.

Whatever is cooked for dinner I have it without spuds chips, rice etc. You stop feeling hungry after 48 hours and have plenty of energy. 1-2 spoons of milled linseed keeps your bowel right

I am 62, 14-14.5 stone at present intend to go again and lose another 10-15 pounds. Did a lot of driving and sitting with work. Has significant back injuries so used to go to the gym doing stretches, pool walking weight etc.

Covid stopped that so I started a routine at home, I do a 30 minute routine 4-5 mornings a week it's floor stretches and weights and aim for a minimum 10k steps a day.

Go for 5-6 pints one a week always walk hone from the pub it's mile and a half and often walk to it as well. Was out meeting a lad last night had 6 was there at 9.30 home at half one was up this morning at about 8am. No floor routine this morning a three egg omelette

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

I was in annoffice for years and always carried a bit, maybe a stone and a half too much.

Went working on my own, physical work, I'm 46. Can't see any younger lad keeping into my pace. Im 110/70 bp. Had it checked yesterday.

Was in a house a few weeks ag. 3 fit lads in their 20s looking out at me. The father came out and got chatting and asked me what age was I. He was embarrassed that his lads wouldnt work. I charged him well.

There's a lad after coming up on my fb. Kennedy, a blonde lad. Good story behind him. A farmer, was overweight but now has it under control .Good straight advice. No caloriecounts, just common sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Austinbrick

I find scallions very good for cleaning out the system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭monseiur

Have a big bowl of porridge every morning, it's full of energy but almost zero fat and will keep you going till lunchtime. Oats used to be fed to in calf cows and working or in foal horses, not an ounce of extra fat on them but fit, healthy and full of energy.

Avoid fast food & over processed food like the plague, eat fresh meat or fish only with plenty of veg and of course exercise regularly. Never eat between meals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭monseiur

Visited my GP last year, as a private patient, for check up, blood tests etc. I specifically mentioned PSA to him in case he forgot and he informed me that they no longer do this test as it's no longer considered reliable - which surprised me. Mind you he did not recommend an alternative test. He's a youngish doc, in his late 30's I would guess, so should be up to speed on things. Perhaps it's time to get a second opinion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

You can have a high PSA without having cancer but my GP does the PSA all the time saying better to be safe than sorry.

He'd alway investigate if it's high or if it's low with obvious symptoms. both high and low PSA can be false

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

My point would be that apart from an odd treat or for mountaineers, biscuits have no real business in a healthy diet.

Eating 6 raw carrots rather than 2 wouldn't do you much harm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

the misses cuts up carrots into sticks for the kids. She’d have a good jar of them in the fridge. I find they satisfy you as much as a sweet or buscuit would. I could go through the jar of them like I would a packet of biscuit

Porridge was only designed for cold weather and to spare the oats, I'd be starving a few hours after eating a right big bowl of it.

Straight oats along witha pinch of seeds nuts and dried fruit and good slosh of milk would keep me going twice as long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,058 ✭✭✭893bet

what way does she store them in the fridge? Just loose in the jar?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

ya just loose in a plastic or glass jar/container with a screw top lid. Not in water or anything. I don’t know how long they’d keep as they are ate nearly as quick as they are made. The kids love them also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

herself puts overnight oats in de fridge for de kids, they love it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭mf240

The best part of getting a bit older is you dont really care what anyone thinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 106 ✭✭baxterooneydoody

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭howsshenow

I agree with you. I Think If you always had a gra for physical work it can be hard to loose it and there's great satisfaction in it. You will always have a number of projects in your mind. Time pressure is a huge factor these days.

Unless you pick up a bad knee or back gets which can definitely quench your interest.

Comparing yourself to young lads there, again with a lot of skills and experience under your belt you know how to approach a job, use the right equipment to take some of the drudgery out of it. They will hopefully learn too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Micey.ie

Must be something in the porridge………..I have an uncle 86 past and takes porridge breakfast and supper,I don’t think you’ll find a man in Ireland as fit or healthy(no medication)Farming full time still - morning to night never stops-tractor(knocked 30 acres hay/silage with disc mower recently and manual work throwing on wee small bales hay on trailer 4 row high,dipping sheep,footing turf,-you name it he’s still doing it.
    Eats no rubbish though, meals same time every day.Theres men around 86 probably in good shape also but not doing work of this man.
    i hope I have same genes as him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,643 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Ya didn't understand my point. The app is used to track what you eat, not tell ya what to eat, or as you think there, what's good/shite. If ya accurately estimate the amounts (via weight), it would give a good overview of the macro nutrients you got in, as well as the calories. Combined with a fitness watch that would guesstimate your calorie burn, it can give a good view of the ins/outs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭older by the day

Great Post, I have a 90 father in law driving the tractor and clipping under fences. He is fit because he a careful eater. Eggs, porridge, brown bread (soda), are his main diet.

It's amazing we all know what food to eat, and yet we all like shovelling biscuits and treats in to our mouths every day.

Breakfast and lunch

What catches you is hunger. Highly processed foods not but there was a bit on my plate this morning, but when you add sugar to them it will not sadate the appetite and you body see high sugar levels. It says I do not need that at present and starts storing it as fat and you are hungry In an hours time again

Slava Ukrainii

I had the wrong end of the stick. But other calorie account, if one is active enough to stay fit and healthy, from what I can see and as shown in the examples above, one can eat as much plain food as you like, no need for keto diets, fasting etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,058 ✭✭✭893bet

I eat some very healthy food. Large amounts of fruit/veg.

But also overall it’s terrible with massive amounts of sweets and taytos.

Not had a blood test in 10 years but in fit shape bar stiffness.

It's one of the misnomer about weight 'xif you stay fit and eat plain food you will not put on weight''.

My better galfcan eat any sort of muck and will not put on more than 6-8 pounds. She has a couple of brothers the same way.

Sone people have slow metabolism and if there work is sedentary they will struggle with weight even eating plain food. Ya they can spend there time calorie counting and they may keep it under control. I have bern a plain enough eater, porridge and fruit in the morning, sandwidge in tte middle of the day and dinner in the evening. Ya I would have an odd bar of chocolate or a biscuit.

But I would put in weight at the smell of food l. I was alway relatively fit. Many like @Novacs_ are similar and it's extremely hard to lose weight as you get heavier. I did the low carb diet 20 years ago orginally but work, farming and children's activities played havoc with it. When my back started acting up first in 2009 it caused ne weight issues.

The only way you lose weight is to burn off fat. The low carb diet is works for tgat as you are not hungry

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

I think the problem is some people are more prone to blood sugar swings and putting on weight than others. It's easier to be an active person if your energy isn't poor/crashing regularly

A high fat low carb diet will even off the differences somewhat and give a better chance of being able to stick to a reduced calorie intake than purely focusing on calorie intake/activity levels.

4 eggs, bit of fruit and kilo of red meat a day keeps me going. Don't eat poultry/seed oils as don't want the inflammation from poly unsaturated oils.

Intermittent fasting, Keto, Low Carb, Calorie counting - they’re all just tools in your arsenal to control calorie intake. If you wanted to fatten a cow you wouldn’t feed it straw and poor silage and walk it ten miles a day, it you wanted to take condition off a cow you wouldn’t feed it after grass and hi energy meal and restrict its movement. Humans are the same simple as.

• Advertisement

"if there work is sedentary"

I accept your point but the above phrase is key to mine. Humans don't do sedentary well.

Advertisement