Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Marrooned

I used to work down south a few years ago most of the clubs you mentioned have a fairly big population in comparison to other clubs lots of housing estates in Mooncoin,Kilmacow sliverue,Piltown and even Ballyhale . The work has to be done to get into these estates and get the young people playing .Now everyone will say the Boro have a huge pick that maybe so but the work that was put in over the years was Huge.but the above mentioned parishes are more localised and that is an advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 TipperaryFox

Rural decline is having a significant impact on clubs up and down the country. It certainly is here in Tipp where Sars, Nenagh, Templemore ect have benifited greatly in the past 10 years. The town teams greatly boost our Senior team and if the big guns in any county don't pull their weight the county will always be swimming against the tide Corbett, Maher Brothers, Billy McCarthy, Mickey Cahill ect in recent times provided the core of top Tipperary teams. I spent 10 years working in Kilkenny and the Boro were hoovering underage titles during that time. How many of them went on to contribute for the county at senior level?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

In their defence their really good underage teams are probably only coming to age now so the next 3 or 4 years will tell a lot. I wouldn't be holding my breath though. Their advantage in all those teams that won consistently over 4 years, or whatever it was, was the balance of really good players they had across the 15 rather than a collection of superstars. Shine was probably their only stand out player throughout those years. Lots of really really good players but no superstar.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭conor05

Ballyhale Shamrocks have been the big feeder club to the KK county panel since the 2000s anyway and it’s definitely the opposite of Dicksboro, I’ve been at under 13 ronin C matches against Ballyhale and they would barely have enough for a team, maybe 1 or 2 subs.

then the Ballyhale boys get all the games they need with no great expectations from them and eventually graduate to being good hurlers whereas with clubs with an abundance of players lose lads that might have improved if given game time.anyway time will tell with the Boro this year,with a few lads gone away it opens things up for the younger lads to come through.Hackett and Evan Murphy might be the ones to look out for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 upnorth

No, lots of good players…. Not really, really good

I would have to agree with you but only time will tell.on the country teams , the fairly big towns are after improving in the last few years and are actively giving the city underage teams a run for their money, Callan,Mooncoin,Castlecomer and Thomastown spring to mind. Then there’s barrow rangers with some very big housing estates and they are showing green shoots (feile)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭randd1

Quite simple really. Change the rule.

”The hand that releases the ball cannot be the hand that strikes the pass”.

Clears it all up.

No ambiguity.

No differing interpretations.

A definitive black and white decision for players, refs, management teams, fans, pundits and commentators.

No Sunday Game slow-mo and zooming in to see separation of 2mm to justify keeping the status quo while ignoring that the rule states clear striking action which due to its absence required the Sunday Game to come up with a slow-mo and zoomed in shot to overcome the lack of clear striking aspect of the refs call.

No Sunday Game not knowing what clear striking action is.

No Sunday Game showing three examples slowed down and zoomed in to overcome the lack of clear striking action part of the referees decision while not showing one of the 100 or so blatant throws between the two semi-finals as a counter-balance.

And due to its black and white nature, a rule that can easily implemented at every grade and age group.

Takes the refs out of the firing line by making the passing action defined so they don’t have to use personal interpretation and make bad calls.

And most of all, removes the throw ball, an act of cheating, that is increasingly becoming central to how the game is being played in getting out of defence and setting up attacks.

As regards the small country clubs the local councils rural housing policies are terrible and do not help the local clubs retain there already small populations when somebody can’t even build on their own land.

Hard to know regarding population.

If I was given a choice, I’d make half a kilometer from the ring road the parish border for the town teams in order to keep things even (obviously make slight exceptions like having a narrow strip out of town for things like the Village club grounds, things like that).

The city is going to grow, and with it the population of the town teams if the parish rule stays in place as the town parishes push well outside the town currently. It may be possible in 20 years a third of the county will be within three clubs. That’s not good for the county, and it could be a disaster for the town clubs too trying to facilitate that.

Either that or some kind of grandparents rule, where if a parent/grandparent is from another parish then the young lad can declare for that parish if he’s not making the A team of his home club.

Probably not viable options, but migration, even within the county, is going to become a massive issue in the next decade or two, and the county board, hell the GAA in general, needs some sort of a plan in place to counter it. It’s already been a killer for some clubs, and we’re not heeding the warning.

What that plan is I don’t know, but it’s definitely something we need to start planning for.

Post edited by randd1 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭Charlie69

I hear what you’re saying but it’s hard enough for a player to release the ball at the moment when surrounded by two or three opponents wrapping him up , it would be impossible with the new handpass .
    I understand something has to be done about the throw ball that’s going on at the moment but I’m convinced if refs blew for every handpass where they couldn’t see clear separation and didn’t get ridiculed for it , players would soon adapt and get back to performing a legal handpass every time.

I would agree with that to a certain extent whereas Danesfort ,Threecastles, Ballycallan,Bennetsbridge,Tullaroan etc would benefit,but O’loughlins would lose a lot of ground from Henneberry’s cross to Johnswell.But the idea is worth exploring.

We’ve tried that though, it lasts about two rounds of the league and then we return to the “throw all you like” situation because we have lads, usually on the Sunday Game, saying the ref is ruining the flow of the game, ignoring that it’s the players making the fouls.

And if the rule came in, there’s every chance players could get bottled up more. But there’s also every chance they’d have to avoid taking it in to contact and they’d play it quicker.

There’s no point in arguing what could happen, because we don’t know what will happen. We gone only go on what we know, and what we know is that the throw, an illegal act of cheating, has effectively replaced the handpass and has become central to the sport.

There’s far too much cheating and fouling going on in hurling, be it throw, steps, barging/charging, pulling/dragging, tactical fouling, or whatever.

A ref these days if he was to blow for everything in a county match could easily blow for 100+ frees a game. That would be a disaster for the sport, but doesn’t it say a lot about the state of the sport that of the sport that a ref has to turn a blind eye to that much fouling/cheating in the first place?

Hell, if the rules were to be applied rigidly, we couldn’t even play a match because no-one uses regulation sized hurls.

Something has to give. The throw in my view has ramped things up massively, the abuses of steps as part of the run and throw game, the barging/charging knowing you can throw it you’re bottled up, the pulling/dragging required because you know if a players gets the ball in hand he can just throw it to another player.

I think changing the handpass rule won’t solve all ills, but I reckon it’d clean up more than just the handpass as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Pigeon Chaser

I'm exiled in the West of Ireland ... But wondering if there is any murmurings at home about Lyng's future?

This was a very poor year. The Leinster title papers over the cracks. Pretty much all went downhill since beating Limerick in the league semi final.

Bringing Fogarty and Walter on to change the game against Clare showed he has no courage or ambition. Or indeed ideas.

However, the Killian Doyle debacle in Carlow takes the biscuit. Should never have started and appears to be obvious nepotism.

To be honest, I think it's time for a change of direction. Build a new team with a new leader.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭Charlie69

It hasn’t been tried properly though…. the referees would need everyone’s support on it… this is where it all falls down in my opinion. The likes of Donal Og hammering refs for it on tv makes it very difficult. If the current rule was implemented properly it would soon cut out the throw ball because it would be so costly to your team.

KK U16B 3-17, DUB U16A 3-09. Played in paulstown was not out there in a few years,they have setup out there well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 neverbet

Took a lot of COURAGE 🫣to write that piece of poison …in EXILE!!!

I thought he was spot on.who are you representing?

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Nickindublin

I thought he was correct too. Im not for Lyng out but this season has being more cold than hot TBH.

KK 1-22 WAT 0-16 U15

Arrabawn quarterfinal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭blackcard

What about wording like ' A definite striking motion preceded by a definite backward motion of the hand'

• Registered Users Posts: 10,882 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Didn't see any "poison" just an opinion. I'd give lyng another year but he's not by any means above criticism.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 neverbet

I don't doubt you do. I represent a view different to you. I don't question the courage or integrity of any Kilkenny man or woman that puts themselves forward for management/ coaching of any of our county teams, do you have a problem with that? Criticism of how he/she does the job is part and parcel of the job and it should not extend beyond that.

maybe you should start questioning that seems to have us in the bind that we are in.

some people in management need to be pushed they don’t know when to give up. Look at Joe Biden.

I presume you’re talking about my views on minor management, I’m afraid I’ll have to stick with those views as I couldn’t see any other alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭tibruit

I see that hurling journalist Kevin Cashman has died. A Cork man who clearly loved the game and all things Cork just as much as he hated Kilkenny. He had a great turn of phrase and brought games and players to life in his articles like no one else could. His pieces in the Sunday Tribune back when inter county summers were longer and slower were worth the purchase price on their own. I used to particularly get a kick out of reading what he had to say on the Sunday after a Kilkenny win. They don`t make them like him any more. May he rest in peace.

Very good weekend underage results the two U14 teams are through to the Tony forristal.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 lob it in

The RTE 9 o clock news just called this afternoons football final "pulsating",my God I fell asleep twice looking at ,Galway are incredibly boring to watch.Give me hurling any day of the week.

• Advertisement

Jarlath burns gave an absolutely iconic speech today, if we could only get him to retract all the stupid rules brought in recently changes of all Irelands from September to July and the change of ages at minor level etc.

Advertisement