Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Top 10% of earners contribute 2/3 of income tax take

1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

They'll be replaced quick enough by someone on a critical skills visa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,165 ✭✭✭Musicrules

See this is the cold hard truth. People won't leave, they don't want to. And if they do, let them. They won't be missed.

Exactly. And the state would be far better off by losing a greedy individual and replacing them with someone who appreciates what they've got.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

You are missing the point in that we are fortunate to have a lot of MNCs here now, partially because our income tax rates are bearable for high earners.

Increase those rates and the high earners leave and the jobs go with them.

I agree we probably wont see a SF govt this term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭digiman

A small subset of people will not leave, typically people from Ireland who have young families here and have a family support network here. If I didn’t have a young family I would leave and make the big money in the US and then likely come back here again when I would be ready to start a family.

I would say quite a large % of the earners in the top10% are immigrants actually and if they start leaving our tax take will go way down but more importantly the MNCs that employ them will also start leaving which would be a total disaster for our economy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,338 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

what role are you in? Looking at your posting history it's a litany of appeals against thread bans, I hope your offline persona doesn't match the online one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,684 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

If you don’t work hard in high paying job you will be sacked and replaced

In reality in Ireland the majority have the same opportunity to get a high paying job, they just need to stay in education etc

The excuses we hear are long and winding but just excuse

You're just making that up. The vast majority will not leave and if they do, they'll find it's not so easy out there in the real world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,571 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

What happens if you are from a low income family and you need to get a job to live rather than go to college? That's not equal opportunity, is it?

What happens if you grow up in a rural area, quite a distance from a college or university. And you can't afford to move out to study. That's not equal opportunity, is it?

Oh also, a point on people moving around the world for jobs because they get taxed too much. A note has to be made about the fact we're an English speaking country surely?

I worked nights and weekends to support myself in college

I grew up in rural area as well

You have plenty of options for further studies when you leave school and also night course/online course etc now which I never had. Which rural areas these days don't have a college/Institute of some sort close to it?

Plenty of excuses is also available

I'm not saying it's not possible. I'm saying that people need to recognise that there is not always an even playing field. People who come from money can afford to fail for example.

And for people who found it hard but managed to get through it, don't pull the ladder up behind you, you should be encouraging it to be easier for the next cohort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,145 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

…you seem short of facts there, or maybe working from the 'alternative facts' database….

…fact….

those lower on the socioeconomic scale have a far less chance of ever making it into higher income brackets…

…fact

…and likewise, those raised in more affluent areas and households, have a much higher chance of entering the workforce at much higher rates of income, and remaining so, for the remainder of their lives….

older generations gained greatly from the reductions in barriers in preventing further education, this is now starting to change, the most common barriers related to increases in fees, and overall costs of living, rent etc….

no excuses, just facts!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭herbalplants

"If you don’t work hard in high paying job you will be sacked and replaced"

I disagree with above statement. I know people in high paying jobs who don't work hard, who are not able for the role they are employed to do but they managed to get there either by talking the talk etc and it is hard to sack them. You need a lot of ammunition to be able to be sacked in Ireland.

I know of another guy who was employed at a level he cannot do, he was employed in the rush at Covid, he doesn't have the skills he is employed to do, so many have noticed that, including his boss, he actually gets carried by his team members but yes how do you sack him, very hard to sack him. He is not Irish, he is Pakistani originally has a wife that doesn't work and 4 kids and he lives off other people skills because he should not be in that role. He is pleasant in his manners but cannot do the job.

I totally disagree with your statement. Plenty of these people around.

Remember the shills only get paid when you react to them.

• Advertisement

It’s not hard to sack someone if you follow the process and they don’t meet targets

“Talking the talk” that's the same as people claiming that they got a job because of their parents.
    Not sure why you are talking about the persons race

The companies who had over employed during Covid have cleaned out now for a few years. If not firing moving out via redundancy etc

plenty in both the public and private sectors, all over the world…..

again, you d be wrong there, plenty of research backing my statements….

Afford to fail? How? What is this based on?

First of all we had accusations on this thread of people getting jobs based on nepotism, now we are saying that people who worked hard, no nepotism are pulling up the ladder behind them to block people

A lot of people with a lot of excuses is what this thread boils down to

As I said I’m not in a high earning job, never will, but that’s my choices and decisions and it’s got nothing to do with anyone else

I’m certainly not going on about imaginary ladders stopping me

• Advertisement

…its clearly obvious that older generations have been pulling up the ladder on younger generations, reducing social mobility…..

…dont worry, its gonna eventually negatively impact these older generations in regards their future health care and welfare needs, pension funds etc…..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭herbalplants

You are entitled to have your own opinion formed by performing not a great paid job.

My experience is based on facts nothing else, nothing whimsical.

I am not talking about race, I mentioned the nationality to reflect this person is not Irish, so no nepotism involved.

Remember the shills only get paid when you react to them.

Affording to fail?

Simple example - if you go to university in Ireland you don't pay fees (except the registration fee which is outrageous but a topic for another day) for the first time. If you fail a year and need to repeat - you pay. If you finish your course and want to do something else - you pay. If you don't like your course and decide to drop out - you pay to do another course for the number of years you already did.

If you don't have money, university is a one-shot deal. If you come from money, you have time to experiment, see what you like. Stuff like that.

Also, if you need the money, you can't afford to quit jobs you don't like or where you don't have the career growth potential. If you come from money you can.

This is obviously a simplification, but needs to be recognised. No?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,878 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Uni fees are 3,000 per annum.

…yup, but thankfully we have a 'free' educational system!

So only nepostism happens if you are Irish? keep digging that hole

No your experience is not based on facts. It is based on your opinion

You can take a different route than Uni

Some of the highest paid people I know work in the trades. Not everything is about a Uni degree.

in terms of quitting jobs, really if you have a plan and a sh*t job gets you to that plan then who cares? I had a sh*t job to get myself through college….but I didn't care because it gave me the hours I wanted and I could work overtime etc.

People "who come from money" you will find are also doing the same thing, they work to get to the right position.

How much is a apprentership in a trade?

You can also do lots of course outside of a Uni, then get a job, a lot of companies will then offer you education plans which they fund once you agree to stay with them etc

Plenty of ways to get further education if you want.

more choices now than certainly a few years ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 441 ✭✭SodiumCooled

There is a lot to unpack in this thread and addressing much of it would take multiple posts but one thing I sense Is a strong sense of begrudgery from some towards successful people who are well paid and a feeling of entitlement basically to take lots of their money in taxes. It is quite frankly crazy to even suggest taking more money from those who already pay the most - how it can be seen as fair I just can’t fathom.

Rather than milking even more from those who already pay the most it would be far better tax policy to take even a small amount (or small amount more) from the very large percentage of people who pay little or no tax. It would be far fairer but also for more sustainable overall. The reducing of USC at low incomes that has been happening is very very poor tax policy for example.

I would also add that some seem very adamant that further increasing our already punitive taxes on high earners will not have negative impacts should look at the issues many business have in hiring currently alongside the many communities who have no GP. I would also point out that yes many may not actually leave but overtime punishing higher earners will have an impact with less willing to work here, more moving away etc which will lead (over time) to companies large and small concentrating on other markets or not setting up here in the first place.

Another thing I picked up on is those complaining about “accumulating” assets yet you will see lack rental properties highlighted else where as a big problem? Who is going to buy and rent property if it not for those willing to invest their money in it. I’m not sure many really think through their arguments at all when it comes to taxation on higher earners and the knock on impacts.

Post edited by SodiumCooled on

To be fair some courses like engineering could have 35 hours/week workload with lectures, tutorials and labs. Then assignments and study on top of that is expected. Hard to fit in a job on top of all that.

If going to uni and you want to succeed with good results, you really can't have a job on the side as well.

Advertisement