Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin TV360

1434445464749»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Itv4 is back - hopefully they re-checked all settings for the next week or so at least.

Anyone able to record Eurosport 4K?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,810 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

You also can't record from any Eurosport pop up channels - not impressed but probably Discovery decision. They do have the replay function.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,482 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I wonder were the non-HD versions of BBC2 (709) and CH4 (711) dropped from TV360 to make way for the additional Eurosport Olympic channels and will we get them back in a few weeks? I often used to record programs on those channnels where HD was not a priority, to save space on the hard drive.

• Advertisement

I doubt very much that was the reason. U&W still on 720 is ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,265 ✭✭✭CoBo55

The BBC did a big overhaul of their streams I think they removed all the SD channels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

It's nothing to do with Eurosport. They were removed at the start of the month

IMO all duplicate SD channels in the 700's should be removed, once they carry the exact same programming/adverts. For example Sky News, Nat Geo, Nat Geo Wild and Sky History along with Sky Sports News and Sky Sports Mix in the 400's

On a positive note, good to finally see a 4K channel on the EPG, albeit a very temporary one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

Is there any way to ensure series recording continues if an episode moves channel? I had High Country on series recording but after the first four episodes it switched from BBC1 to BBC2 so I've missed it now. Not the first time this has happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 59 ✭✭butwhynot

A whole year and 5 months

• Advertisement

No unfortunately and episode 7 and 8 are on BBC2 this Saturday as is Casualty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

Ok, thanks. I've just deleted the 4 episodes I had recorded. No point watching now with episodes missing.

Sky Sports+ linear will replace Sky Sports Arena

It is launching on 8th August on

channels 407 HD / 456 SD at 6pm.

Logo updated on EPG to Sky Sports + - might take them some time before the voice search works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

Ran into many of the issues with the new streaming boxes today when my brothers fiancees mother asked me to try and sort out her Virgin setup.

She had a 360 main box and 360 mirror box. Her contract was nearly up and she rang to see was there any deals they could offer her and they suggested fiber. Not being tech savvy she took the deal even though she didnt need faster broadband.

They set her up on a new account. Fiber installers came and ran the fiber in at the front door where the new router now needed to go. Stream box installers arrive and first thing he says is, “oh, this is a really long house!” (Fecker knew Wifi was going to an issue). Stream boxes don't connect while he is there but he tells her they eventually will and to just follow on-screen instructions.

Eventually the stream box in the room nearest router in the hall connects but shes got no TV channels. After a month trying to get through to them it turns out they never transferred her TV subs over to the new boxes. (Without TV for a month!) One of them is now working but she cant seem to record anything.

This is where I come in.

Never heard about the new streaming boxes but my intuition which turned out to be bang on the money was the recording was a copyright holder issue and that the difference compared to the old 360 boxes was local storage of recordings versus cloud storage cause straight away I knew these tiny things wouldn't be storing anything locally as Virgin would never spec these things with expensive SSD’s.

Guess which channels she used to record the most from on her old 360 boxes?? LOL.

So I swapped the working stream box from the front room with the kitchen one at the back of the house. Back of the house one now in the front room gives the same CS1028 unable to download software update despite being closer to the router which the other stram box did eventually successfully connect to.

So now I think maybe its not a Wifi issue but maybe connected to the subscription transfer issue from july to the new account. Maybe they didn't activate the second stream ‘mirror’ box for the new account. Couldn't get through on the phone while I was there.

However, something that still points to WIFI is the working stream box I moved to the kitchen was glitching to black every few seconds until eventually I found a position on the TV side table where it seemed to stop. Thats when I left. Going to write her up a script of what we’ve tried, to tell the Virgin CS when she eventually gets through in my absence.

TBH given they never told her about losing the ability to record BBC and RTE, and she still has her old gear, she should ring and demand to keep her old gear on the fiber router or even revert back to coax. Whats the time limit on cancellations and reversion to old account etc?

Its not like her house is huge, its a 3 bed semi with kitchen/dinner extension on the back but its 6 or 7m from front door to back patio door. They’ve compromised wifi range/strength on these tiny boxes and antenna less routers purely for aesthetics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,505 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

What did they change in the upgrade to fiber? I upgraded to 1Gb internet when i got the 360 box but there was no line work needed. It plugs into the same coax wall point that hasn't been touched in years.

She had a main and smaller mirror 360 box. Coax points in livingroom and kitchen. Main box and router connected to coax in livingroom, mirror box connected to coax in kitchen. Mirror box in kitchen had no problem connecting reliably via WIFI to main box in livingroom.

In other words, the older 360 boxes pull the channels over coax, content is recorded and stored locally on the main larger 360 box in the livingroom. The kitchen box pulled channels from coax too and only needed to communicate via wifi to the main livingroom box if you want to watch a recorded program stored on the main box.

Fiber upgrade meant fibre optic cable ran from manhole outside. They drilled in through side wall into hall just inside the front door. New Router has to go there. Old 360 boxes now replaced with tiny 3”x3”x0.5,” ‘streaming boxes that do not connect to the old Coax points. While the little boxes have ethernet connectivity, the woman doesn't have ethernet runs from the hall to the two rooms, so the little streaming boxes can only stream TV via WIFI from the hall router. For compactness and aesthetics neither the router nor little streaming boxes have external antenna and for bandwidth reasons maybe can only use the 5ghz band which doesnt penetrate walls as well as 2.4ghz. Both combined mean that the streaming box in the kitchen 6m away that almost has Line of Sight, still doesnt have a reliable wifi connection and was blacking out every couple of seconds.

still confused. the new router i got from Virgin connects to the same coax point the old tv box did. the new streaming box i received connects to the router via wifi. The router is one of these things.

Sounds like you upgraded to 1gbit speeds but not over fiber. Docsis 3 over coax supports 1gbit. Docsis 4 over coax supports even higher. I think Virgin brand as ‘Fiber powered’ any of their product offerings via FTTC (Fiber to the cabinet-Coax from cabinets to house) and FTTH (fiber to the home). In other words you are still commected via Coax to the nearest Virgin Cabinet that could be hundreds of meters away from your house and your line is only fiber from that cabinet back to Virgins network.

Havent done any research on it, but it sounds like Virgin might not be bothering to upgrade their Coax network to Docsis 4 and instead are now just using the wholesale fiber lines that are becoming more commonplace as Eir and Siro/ESB roll put fiber all over the place.

In my brothers fiancees mothers 20yo estate, someone ran fiber to manholes around the estate and there was existing ducting from those manholes to each house. Virgin are leasing that fiber wholesale from whomever laid it/owns it. Virgin contracted a network company to run fibre from that manhole through the ducting to her house and drilled in through the external side wall into the hall to install the Fibre termination box. So you are on FTTC and she was on FTTC like you but is now on FTTH.

Hers is a different router. Rectangular, grey IIRC and with a cloth finish around the edges.

Post edited by Calibos on

• Advertisement

Eurosport 4K (400), Eurosport 3 - 9 HD (415-421) removed today

MUTV has moved back to 415, it was on 422 when Eurosport 3 HD launched for the Olympics

CNN still off. Gone since about 4am this morning.

Just fixed maybe in last half hour or so.

360 box and VM TV app have Paralympics Live on RTÉ2 today at 4pm instead of UEFA Nations League - Ireland v England

Both Saorview and Sky have the correct listings aswell as RTÉ's website

https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/listings/television/#/rte2/2024-09-07

Yes noticed that earlier and it took them along time to fix that CNN issue.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Oddly enough I had chance to use a UPC Mediabox earlier and noticed CNN wasn’t on the EPG. Why is that I wonder? apparently it’s that way all the time.

Probably needs to upgrade to a higher package. CNN is only on higher package.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Usually through even if you’re not subscribed to the channel it’s still on the EPG eg all the Sky Sports channels are on the EPG and they’re not subscribed.

Their main box is a Horizon 3 and they have CNN on that, channel 205.

• Advertisement

Wrong package might be on the UPC mediabox or it might just need an entitlement refresh. Getting an agent on the phone and explaining the situation and then the agent following the necessary steps and/or passing on to another department is the tricky bit.

Advertisement