Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Government - Part 3 - Threadbanned User List in OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

It was a series of posts actually. Cluedo can read the clues.

And you're a Green voter 😉 Yet you have no issue with FG undermining the Greens at will as we approach the election in November...

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,150 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

If you think winning election(s) is proof of not being a gobshite, there are numerous examples from the present Oireachtas never mind from history to prove you wrong.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

She Is too busy organising the water cannons being delivered from Northern Ireland today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,020 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Yes, I am a Green voter, and will vote that way again. The Green agenda is by far the most important challenge facing the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,545 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

It's fun watching them jump around making accusations about which party I support

As I have said many times no TD should be getting online abuse, that would then mean I support eveyr party and every independent 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,675 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

dilemma myself this time, greeny myself, but im concerned about transfers…..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Yea right. If ya think taxing the absolute shite out of everyone is the end goal. Or try out some social experiment You go vote the greens there. Don't think they even know what the words environment conscience means to be honest.

So annoyed with FG then? Regina and Co in local elections?

…you are aware that most political parties are also trying to tax folks, yea!

Haven't voted FG since 2002. Give them a preference, but mostly vote 1 Green, 2 Labour, reversed that in 2011.

• Advertisement

As I'm in Dublin West, voting ROG No. 1.

He won't get elected on the first count, so my vote won't be considered in any surplus if he gets elected on a later count. If he misses out, he will be close so finishing sixth when 5 get elected, means my vote will probably sit there unused.

Will give Labour the next preference as if ROG is finishing lower than sixth, the Labour candidate should be still in the race.

im gonna have to think carefully about this, my heart is with the greens, but this is getting messy, im also extremely pi$$ed with them….

Who are you going to blame when Greens are gone and after next election whoever is in power will be doing the same?

You are hiding behind an anonymous account on a slowly dying forum on the internet calling people "gobshite" when they got voted in by the Irish people numerous times. Including holding a number of Minister roles during his career.

"prove you wrong" 😂

Give me a shout when you get elected

And you're hiding behind an anonymous account on a slowly dying forum on the internet trying to police other people's opinions. Sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,046 ✭✭✭Blut2

Ireland is legally required to process asylum applications. They are not legally required to accept asylum applications, which is what you claimed initially and repeatedly. Thats again, a very obvious attempt to move the goal posts.

If Ireland began rejecting the vast majority of asylum applications, and deporting the rejected applicants, you can bet the number of asylum seekers arriving would drop like a stone. This is why people like Michael McNamara were calling out Helen McEntee recently on why our government is completely failing to deport failed asylum claimants currently.

Denmark introduced the 20,000e repatriation payment in 2019. Asylum numbers continued dropping afterwards, as the chart very clearly shows. Their numbers of asylum seekers arriving are still 90% down from peak, and a tiny fraction of what Ireland is receiving, so the collection of policies is still very clearly working. Your idea that it increased the number of asylum seekers entering the country is entirely a theory in your head.

I literally made a lengthy post a few pages ago outlining the multiple measures Denmark took to reduce the numbers of asylum seekers they recieve, including reducing welfare payments, which I stated Ireland could and should copy if our current government was in any way competent. The repatriation payment was one you seized on for some reason.

How much do you think should be cut off the €38 a week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,027 ✭✭✭Augme

Given that Ireland have drastically increased their rejection rate over a year or so one would want to be living in a cave to think that ireland has to grant asylum to everyone who applies. Not only that, but you never once quoted figures from the number of asylum seekers Denmark accepted but quoted the number of requests they received.

But just so we are clear in this. You accept ireland are legally obligated to process requests for asylum?

Yes, the numbers dipped for a year during covid and then drastically increased above the 2019 levels. The increased in asylum seekers into Denmark in 2022 was higher than it was in 2019. That's a fact, and a fact proven by the graph you posted.

You did post a list of all the things the Danish government did. Accomodation centres, which every political party in Ireland is in favour off and also the Government have reduced welfare rates for asylum seekers too.

You clearly think €38 per week is too much, and is like a gold rush for asylum seekers. What level do you think it should be?

• Advertisement

Ireland deported "less than 100" rejected asylum seekers between January 2023 and April 2024 [1]. Thats a rounding error compared to the 30,000 asylum seeekers arriving per year. The rejection rate is completely irrelevant when we're not enforcing deportation on those rejected and they're free to stay in Ireland. Helen McEntee has been repeatedly called out on this issue recently.

And that aside, you've literally repeatedly being arguing that Ireland can't reject asylum seekers because of "obligations". Its nice to note you've educated yourself on this and changed your tune and accept that we can actually reject asylum seekers if we wish to.

Yes, Ireland is required to process asylum seekers, not to accept them. Thats what I've stated from the start. I'm glad you're now grasping the difference.

Denmark's number of asylum seekers in 2023 was 2,479. In 2019 it was approx 2000. In 2015 it was 21,316. The idea that numbers "drastically increased" since 2019 is very clearly laughable - theyre still down by approximately 90%. And they're a fraction of what Ireland is recieving. Again, as the chart I posted (and have linked below) clearly shows.

I have never once made any comment about €38 per week, thats a strawman of your own attempted creation. I've simply posted a list of 10 or so very easily enacted measures, that have been proven to reduce the number of asylum seekers arriving by approx 90% in the real world, from a Northern European EU country very similar to ourselves.

I posted this list of measures the Danish government enacted that our government could copy tomorrow. But they haven't copied any of them, because they're failing on this issue - as the numbers of asylum seekers to Ireland continuing to increase every year very clearly shows.

Theres absolutely nothing stoppong us from copying the Danish measures tomorrow, other than the continued incompetence of our current government on the migration issue.

[1] https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/less-than-100-people-have-been-deported-since-start-of-2023-says-mcentee-1617326.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,027 ✭✭✭Augme

Again, you are wrong and you never stated that from the start. This is what you originally said.

We have no actual binding obligation to do anything with asylum policy. As, again, can be seen with Denmark.

As I've had to point out multiple times. We do have actual binding obligations in regards to asylum policy. We have legal obligations regarding the asylum policy to process requests for asylum. I posted multiple links highlighting that fact and you decided to repeatedly ignore them. At least now you've finally accepted that Ireland do have legal obligations regarding asylum policy though.

You posted that we should give asylum €20,000 despite that fact the evidence is clear that following the Danish government implementing this policy, asylum requests increased. But you haven't posted a list of things our government can do, our government can't do what Denamrk did, and reduce social welfare payments to asylum seekers from €1,500 per month to €750 per month becusse we already pay them much less than that.

That quote was in relation to letting asylum seekers into the country. Which, again, we do not have any legal obligations to do.

As seen by the fact you still, many many replies later, have yet to be able to link to a single document that states Ireland is forced to let asylum seekers in their tens of thousands into the country.

And as seen by Denmark, who're party to every international "obligation" that Ireland is, yet who've very successfully implemented measures to reduce their numbers of asylum seekers by 90%.

Denmark's number of asylum seeker arrivals are down by 90%. From 21,316 in 2015 to 2,479 in 2023. Thats effective government policy.

And Denmark's arrivals of 2,479 arrivals in 2023 contrast with Ireland's 17,000+ in 2023, and expected approx 30,000 in 2024. The statistics are very clear that their government is doing a far better job of reducing migrant arrivals than our current government.

And I literally posted a list of very succesful policies implemented by Denmark that Ireland can copy tomorrow here. Theres absolutely nothing stopping us from doing so, other than government incompetence. They're all completely achievable:

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/122406763/#Comment_122406763

edit, and just to make this even clearer for you, this chart is a very easily accessible summary of good, effective, governmental asylum policy (Denmark) vs bad, totally ineffective governmental policy (Ireland's current government):

• Registered Users Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Ozvaldo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,464 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Very disgusting indeed

Unfortunately voters love rewarding failure and incompetence. Politicians know there's no repercussions for their actions.

How many times do we keep voting for parties that keep **** up housing, keep **** up health, making an absolute shambles of immigration over and over again.

Another big factor is there's no opposition party

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Ozvaldo

Spot on shinners are a disgrace interesting to see how low theyll go -sold out Paddy big time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭rolling boh

The biggest factor that is a huge boost for the government is the lack of a realistic coherent alternative government. There is little prospect of anything different after the next election especially with a few goodies thrown into the budget .Another thing from what I can see is there are plenty of people doing OK and are not likely to rock the boat to any great extent .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,626 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

We say its different here compared to countries like the UK and America but the reality is we have no opposition so its probably going to be FF/FG and a smaller party in government forever.

• Advertisement

I was listening to Yates/Cooper podcast. They were absolutely scathing about the RTE decision/cop-out.

Some of the phrases used..."unmitigated spineless decision", "blank cheque", "rewarding failure", "funding totally bloated severances", "hoodwinking government", "cannot be reformed", "absolute cowardice in advance of election", "most shameful episode in this government's history".

Advertisement