Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Surely that was always the case?

Once someone is granted asylum, they get refugee status. They then qualify for social welfare like anyone else.

You couldnt keep refugees in the same temp accommodation long term and after their applications are processed, as there would be nowhere to house the new applicants.

So of course, the succesful applicants would generally need to be moved into social housing.

I could be wrong on the above but the point is, i dont see how your point is anything new.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Geert von Instetten

The impact of this is reflected in social housing statistics. In 2021 non-EU nationals accounted for 6.4% of social housing applications, in 2022 non-EU nationals accounted for 7.3% of social housing applications, last year, in 2023, non-EU nationals accounted for 9.6% of social housing applications.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭giseva

Perhaps the point is, we've a major housing crisis, and yes the AS this country gave asylum to previously were provided with housing. Everyone needs somewhere to live.

The major problem is, not one person in power is saying the blatantly obvious thing "we can't house what's here, let's stop making it worse".

TASA.....Turn Asylum Seekers Away

Surely that's like taking a high end golf club to court for not allowing me play on the basis of discrimination.....I can't afford it by the way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭emo72

I think the question is, how are they getting the house so quick, I thought there was 10 year waiting lists for Irish people, or I'm led to believe housing waiting lists are really long. Like yeah, people granted leave to remain, no problem with them going on the housing list, but obviously they should have the same wait time as us. Why would they want to skip the queue, that's not fair. And that's what leads to massive resentment. Can anyone explain this please?

I can. They need asylum and protection. From absolutely everything, all the time. The need for asylum doesn't stop once they've fled "immediate danger", because then they need protection from discrimination for having been an asylum seeker in the first place. And how do we go about that to ensure we're not a discriminatory country full of bigotry and all the other terms, that's right, we forsake our own in favour of these asylum seekers.

I wonder if there'll be a decline in the citizenship and passport applications once people catch on to the fact that you're nearly better off being a perpetual asylum seeker.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭patnor1011

The point is that while it used to be 2000 a year now it become 20,000 a year. If you do not see the point then I dont know.

(numbers used are for illustration purpposes only)

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭creeper1

People are arriving all the time and the authorities want to make space by moving those with successful applications out of direct provision or IPAS centres.

Trouble is they, like a lot of us, don’t have the means to rent in the private market.

So should they be thrown on the street? That would be deemed inhumane.

I suspect that because a lot of Irish homeless are living with parents in uncomfortable conditions but technically still have a roof over their head they simply aren’t a priority.

It’s just a hunch but I suspect that’s what is going on.

• Advertisement

And the burden falls to the Irish taxpayer, already paying for the spongers born here and still paying for the sins of the past.

I'd love to know what the objective of government is, forgetting about the filth that line their pockets from it and the corrupt politicians eyeing up their next gig.

What is the long-term view of any decent elected politician in this country about the number of people claiming asylum, and the numbers that will continue to do so?

What is the governments solution to making it all work? To provide affordable housing to all (apparently 400k+ is affordable if DCC is to be believed), to reduce the number of Irish homeless, to improve our HSE which is at breaking point, and to protect our national identity and culture.

Pretty basic questions I feel.

Numbers are a different point.

The point the poster made was about refugees suddenly qualifying for social housing, like it was a new thing. It isnt.

20k asylum seekers is an underestimate for 2024.

I think its more like 30k this year. I do agree with you that we need some mechanism to manage the demand vs supply, of course.

My concern there is that the govt do not have a plan to do so.

Our government could do with ringing up Monaco with their zero refugee intake, and asking for a bit of assistance in sharing this load that they've so admirably taken on, on our behalf. Any penthouse apartments or yachts going begging over there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭hamburgham

I can’t believe it’s not much higher than that.

Irreversibly damaging to our country too. If Ireland were to completely stop AS entering right now, in a bid to get a handle on things, which of course won't happen, the damage is done.

Feet are firmly under the table, whether they're in a tent, a prefab or house and whether they've been told they can stay or not.

Ireland is gone. The priorities of those in power is to save face by beating protesters and ignoring citizens for long enough for this to be some other governments' problem. And when that happens, the new power will say "we didn't create this, that was x and y" and the stone throwing in the Dail will continue.

This country is fucked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

What.

They'd enter emergency accommodation like the 15k people . And join the housing list like 100k people .

If this stays as the policy our yearly social housing allocation will only be for people granted asylum .

Yes,they join the housing list.

Thats what I am saying.

They aren't joining any list . They are being housed asap to make room for more asylum seekers.

What the criteria is for prioritising social housing, I dont know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

I've a sneaking feeling that is already the case.Irish citizens paying their way (and paying for others also) are at a huge disadvantage when they've no guaranteed state income like HAP and/or ARP.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 17,435 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

They don't have a plan. Its simply to keep taking taxpayers money and hope the corp tax and the high PAYE workers continue to live here.

God forbid the wasters holding their hands out for free houses and doing absolutely nothing to progress in their life or actually contribute anything to society etc for the blatant racism shown by them. At long as they get their free council house and can pass it down to their children they don't give a toss about anyone.

Yes we need social housing..let me be clear on that..but this whole family legacy of passing down houses needs to be gotten rid off.

Of course they forget that if we did all of a sudden stop taking in Asylum seekers somehow that's going to magically fix all the issues we have here. Taxpayers will quickly find a new target ie welfare class who are been given all the houses by councils who are outbidding their children and thus are still in the exact same boat.

The issue isn't that we are taking in too many but that our governments are absolutely squandering tax payers money in quangos, consultancy fees, developer contracts and lets not forget RTE who are being given €750,000,000 (750 million) over the next 3 years. But **** it..lets blame the asylum seekers for all our woes and let the politicians and civil service completely off the hook. We are taking in 60 billion a year in taxes and what are we showing for it? We still don't have the new children's hospital, or the Limerick -Cork motorway..but hey here's a few greeenways we plan to build. And oh by the way we're charging you extra now for mineral bottles as ye're not recycling them properly.

The issue is absolutely that we are taking in too many as evident by the very existence of this thread. How could you hold such a view?

We're taking in far too many and the words out worldwide. The amount is the issue because it further compounds the problems we already have in this country which you pointed out.

It's simple, you cannot make things better, by making things worse.

Yes, if we stopped taking in AS tomorrow, there'd still be issues to be addressed.....but see above sentence.

Also, assuming all who sponge off the state are blatant racists isn't helpful.

While we're on the subject of racism, telling someone struggling in this country that X from Nigeria, Somalia, Georgia etc that they're getting something over you, or something despite your circumstances in this country because they were born somewhere else, and you were born here, doesn't do a whole lot to combat it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

That’s mental, could I get a link to the report?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Nobody is blaming asylum seekers for all our woes , just pointing out we have limited housing, health ,education etc resources. We can’t magic up houses or do you think we should spend this 60 billion on housing the worlds poor at the expense of our own poor or elderly?

Advertisement